Women and the soul?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Catholicwoman
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for linking this, it is a great source of information. I actually came across it the other day (or maybe yesterday) but it helped me greatly! I appreciate it.
 
I agree. Thanks for your comments and those of everyone else.
 
40.png
Catholicwoman:
Yeah, I think my confusion is basically why is it there? It’s not a official teaching …
The Catholic Encyclopedia isn’t official teaching. It’s a very old encyclopedia that sometimes has useful material in it. It’s also on the New Advent website. It’s there because it’s out of copyright and quite interesting to have freely available online. The particular article you mention was published in 1912 and is largely based on 19th- and very early 20th-century German scholarship. It’s probably interesting from a historical point of view and may provide a starting point for some further reading. I wouldn’t get too worried about the fact that a couple of scholars writing over one hundred years ago said some things that sound odd to us today.
The Catholic Encyclopedia does have approbation of the Catholic Church however:

Ecclesiastical approbation. Nihil Obstat. October 1, 1912. Remy Lafort, S.T.D., Censor. Imprimatur. +John Cardinal Farley, Archbishop of New York.
 
40.png
Catholicwoman:
The female sex is in some respects inferior to the male sex, both as regards body and soul.
The only respect that I can think of in which the soul of the female sex can be considered inferior to the soul of the male sex is its inability to receive the indelible spiritual mark of Holy Orders.
In what way does that make female souls inferior?

The Church does not teach this.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top