Words of Absolution

  • Thread starter Thread starter andy120
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

andy120

Guest
Do slight changes of the words of absolution make the absolution invalid?

The official words of absolution are:
I absolve you from your sins in the name of the Father, and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit
What about: “I absolve you of your sins in the name of the Father, and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit”?

Or: “I absolve you from all your sins in the name of the Father, and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit”?

Do these variations make the absolution invalid?
 
Frankly, I never paid to much attention to how the priest delivered the words, I was just thankful that my sins were absolved and I think that’s really all you need to be concerned about, in my opinion. I do not see anything abusive in your examples, so I would say those small variations would not invalidate the absolution.
 
Does the Church have some catechetical obligation to reassure the faithful that prepositions and adjectives don’t invalidate a sacrament?
 
Do slight changes of the words of absolution make the absolution invalid?

The official words of absolution are:

What about: “I absolve you of your sins in the name of the Father, and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit”?

Or: “I absolve you from all your sins in the name of the Father, and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit”?

Do these variations make the absolution invalid?
No I would not say they would be invalid. But the Priest should of course use the exact form 🙂
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top