Working on a Sunday?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Hawkeye916
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Hawkeye916

Guest
Does simple housework like folding laundry, putting away, dishes, organizing drawers, etc, constitute working on a Sunday? I’m going to be home alone for a good majority of the day and I don’t like just sitting around if I could be tidying the house, but I also don’t want to break the commandment to keep Sunday as a day of rest. What do ya think?
 
Tidying your house does not break the commandment to keep Sunday holy. It is preferable that you tidy beforehand so that you can have Sunday as a day of worship and rest, but it’s not a sin not to.
 
Last edited:
“Servile work”
like yard work, scrubbing the floors, cleaning the bathroom are what is forbidden on Sundays.
 
No, but I did babysit my nieces when they were little. 😉

However, I work full-time. I do my laundry on other days of the week. I know my mom NEVER did laundry on Sundays, not even when we were babies.

On Sundays and Holy Days, I do the dishes and that’s about it. I need to rest.

Suggestion: If you’re by yourself on Sundays, try praying the Rosary, Liturgy of the Hours or go to Adoration.

I try not to do servile work on Sundays & Holy Days because Our Lord told Sister Mary of St. Peter, Nov. 24, 1843:

“The earth is covered with crimes. The violation of the first three Commandments of God
has irritated My Father. The Holy Name of God blasphemed, and the Holy Day of the Lord profaned, fills up the measure of inequities. These sins have risen unto the Throne of God and provoked His wrath which will soon burst forth if His Justice be not appeased. At no time has these crimes reached such a pitch.”

That’s why I don’t do servile work on Sunday.
 
Last edited:
My understanding is that servile work is work that burdens you and could wait. In my home we do many chores in Sunday because we need to… but never laundry because it really can wait (unless someone is throwing up). I also don’t let the kids do homework if at all possible. But if you’re actually enjoying a school subject and want to do more… go for it! I think it has more to do with what burdens you vs a certain list of tasks that are not allowed.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top