Working on Sundays at a Protestant cathedral

  • Thread starter Thread starter Polak
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Polak

Guest
So I have worked at a Protestant cathedral now for just over a year. It’s a weekend job I have, and it’s one that really helped me out back when I started it, because the work I was doing during the week wasn’t making me enough money make any sort of living. Even now, it still very much help me out.

Of course it has entered my mind a number of times, whether I should be working at a Protestant cathedral, as a Catholic. I don’t take part in any of the services, I just work there and answer questions on where a certain object is or what time the mass is, etc. There is a fellow Catholic lady who works there too and during the mass she actually takes part in the communion service (it’s an Anglican cathedral). She actually told me that during a confession she asked her priest if this was okay, because she wasn’t sure if it was a sin, and he said it wasn’t really okay, as the Anglican church doesn’t accept the Pope. She still attends communion at this Protestant cathedral though. I would also think the fact that they don’t believe it is the body and blood of Christ would also render it a pointless exercise to attend, surely?

Anyway, I digress. So I have previously thought it okay to work at a Protestant cathedral, hence why I applied for the job (no Catholic churches or cathedral near me were offering any jobs). I thought, so long as I don’t participate in the mass (although I have wondered if participating in a Protestant mass would be considered a sin), it should be fine. I got thinking about this again recently, as I heard someone mention that there was a law in the Catholic church, possible pre Vatican 2, that says even stepping foot inside a Protestant church is a grave sin.

Of course the other issue is the fact that I work on Sundays, since it’s a weekend job. This was what they had on offer. It isn’t hard physical work and it is in cathedral, but again, am I committing a sin doing this?
 
Last edited:
I should be working at a Protestant cathedral, as a Catholic
It’s not an issue, no. Plenty of people (visual artists, business specialists, composers, etc.) work across denominational lines.

Eyebrows might be raised for those working in a ministry-related area, but I’ve also known religious counsellors who worked across denominations (Catholic, Anglican, Orthodox, etc.).
I would also think the fact that they don’t believe it is the body and blood of Christ would also render it a pointless exercise to attend, surely?
It varies according to churchmanship: the high churches (generally, but not always, cathedrals) tend to have a more nuanced sacramental theology and so believe the Eucharist is the body and bloody of Christ. But they wouldn’t use the term transubstantiation to describe it.

In any case, the Church doesn’t recognise Anglican holy orders as valid, and so the Eucharist, too, celebrated by their minister is not valid.

In spite of this, I don’t see it as problematic if you wish to attend services (if nearby Catholic churches are too remote) to offer your own private prayer.
 
Since Vatican II, the Church has been much more lenient about Catholics visiting Protestant churches. If you are not participating in the Protestant service but simply working behind the information desk telling people where the restrooms are and so forth, I don’t see a problem with that. If you are still concerned, ask your priest.

Participating in the Protestant service is more questionable. First, you’d still have to go to the Catholic Mass for Sunday obligation anyway. Second, while the Church is more lenient now about Catholics occasionally participating in a Protestant service - for example, a wedding, a funeral, or going with your Protestant family members to their church on occasion - you’re at this job every week and the Church would not want you going to the service there every week without a really good reason, such as your 90-year-old father is Anglican and needs you to help him attend his Anglican church every Sunday. Your job isn’t a good reason because you can do your job without needing to participate in the service.

I would suggest you talk to a priest about participating in the Anglican service - without Communion of course as we are not supposed to receive non-Catholic communion.

Like you I am mystified as to why the lady you mention would want to keep receiving Protestant communion when it is not the body and blood of Jesus and in addition her priest told her not to. Even when there’s a good reason for Catholics to attend a Protestant service, we are not supposed to receive Protestant communion.
 
Last edited:
Thank you for the replies.

To clarify, I do not attend the services there, nor do I intend to. I make sure to go to Catholic mass either in the morning before I go to the cathedral, or in the evening after it, depending on my start time there (it varies every weekend). Sometimes if I can’t do either, I go on Saturday evening. My only issue was really with working there, but going by what you say, it seems that is okay, as I thought, just wanted to double check.
 
Go to Mass on Saturday evening like all who have to work on Sunday. Remember, they do not have Mass. Only the Catholic Church offers Mass AND the Eucharist. The Anglicans have a service. No, you can not attend or partake in their “eucharist ” as it is not valid. Make every effort to go to Mass. Go to CATHOLIC bible study, know your faith. Most of all…be a good Catholic role model. Perhaps you might bring a few souls home.
 
I think you’re fine. Your Catholic friend is in the wrong.

The Anglicans don’t have priests, and thus can’t do things like communion; because they no longer have valid holy orders.

Further, she shouldn’t be taking communion, and thus showing communion, with a Church with which she isn’t affiliated or owe any allegience of doctrine.

I don’t know if I’d bring this up or not. It depends on that person. Sometimes people just don’t know. Other times people can be obstinent
 
There is a fellow Catholic lady who works there too and during the mass she actually takes part in the communion service (it’s an Anglican cathedral). She actually told me that during a confession she asked her priest if this was okay, because she wasn’t sure if it was a sin, and he said it wasn’t really okay, as the Anglican church doesn’t accept the Pope. She still attends communion at this Protestant cathedral though.
this is not good…
 
To be honest, she told me she had it explained to her by the Catholic priest during confession, that she shouldn’t go, and she still does, so me saying anything isn’t going to do a whole lot in my opinion. Of course the Anglican church is quite happy for a Catholic to attend its ‘communion’ service (but they’re quite happy to allow a lot of things to be honest. There isn’t much they don’t allow), so she attends.
 
There is a fellow Catholic lady who works there too and during the mass she actually takes part in the communion service (it’s an Anglican cathedral). She actually told me that during a confession she asked her priest if this was okay, because she wasn’t sure if it was a sin, and he said it wasn’t really okay, as the Anglican church doesn’t accept the Pope. She still attends communion at this Protestant cathedral though.
It’s not exactly unusual to me, given the number of people who post here all day long opining that a priest was wrong on this and a priest is wrong on that.

A lot of people ignore what a priest tells them and just decide to do what they want because their “conscience” dictates it or whatever.

P.S. Happy Cake Day
 
Well the Anglican church most certainly does allow for Catholics to attend the Eucharist, although whether it could be considered ‘valid’ is another story.
 
True, but the Catholic Church also does not teach that Protestant churches including the vast majority of Anglican churches (perhaps there is a very rare exception where the particular priest was ordained in the apostolic succession ) have a valid Eucharist, and indeed teaches Catholics not to receive in Protestant churches.

I believe the churches to which you refer are Orthodox, not Protestant.
 
Last edited:
I don’t take part in any of the services,
I’ll be in York for a few days next month and on each evening I will participate in Evensong In York Minster (a Protestant cathedral) .

York Minster is a magnificent building , and Evensong there is very prayerful and beautiful .

One of the days I’m there is the feast of St Paulinus , the first bishop of York . On that day it will be solemn evensong . I look forward to it . It will be in the choir pictured below .

(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)

(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)
 
York and Lincoln are my favorite English Cathedrals. Breathtaking, and I’ve only toured them in books.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top