Works: A Sinner's Perspective

  • Thread starter Thread starter Gunger
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gunger

Guest
Works-- A Sinner’s Perspective

I sin…not just a little bit, but a lot; I am, after all human…well intentioned, but still human. I try to remain faithful and I smile often (and ruefully) at my own imperfections…and I give thanks for His saving grace. Call it good guilt (if you’re Catholic) or unnecessary anxiety (if you’re Protestant)-- but I feel badly when I sin.

Given the above…and rather than recite the same old tired arguments about faith and works, Protestantism and Catholicism, translations and texts, I figured I’d take a different approach: a personal one. Again, I sin. In stark contrast, Christ’s sacrifice was perfect. My ability to accept that sacrifice-- a completely human and therefore necessarily flawed ability-- is never perfect. I believe this is what Paul highlights throughout his epistles: although we are not worthy of Christ’s sacrifice, he gives it to us anyway-- he gives it to each of us, and gives it individually/personally…not simply collectively.

The Protestant might say, “You’re right! You don’t need imperfect works or the intellectualization of the “faith without works” argument! Christ’s love is perfect. With Faith, Christ’s perfect love is ALL you need. That is exactly the point!”

But wait. I’m not debating that Jesus loves me. The Bible tells me so (that was intentional 🙂 ) and, frankly, that is all I need to believe in his love.

What I am asking is the following: do I have to love Jesus back? That might seem to be a rhetorical question for the Believer, but…I suggest…it is a legitimate theological question, particularly when you contemplate the Great Commandment.

You see, while Jesus’ love for us is unconditional, our salvation is most certainly conditional. So, here is a different progression of questions on justification:
  1. Do I have to love Jesus to be saved? AND,
  2. How do I “love” Jesus?
The answer to the first one, I believe, is obvious-- if you think it is “no,” let me know before you think it so I can be sure to miss the lightning bolt… The answer to the second CANNOT be merely intellectual, i.e., “I love Jesus in my mind and that is enough” (throwing the proverbial “intellectualization” argument out the window)…it must be living, it must be continuous. Why can’t it be an “intellectual” love? I could be pithy and simply say that if you REALLY loved Jesus it couldn’t possibly be solely intellectual (the old, “works obviously come from true faith argument and to argue the opposite is simply meaningless intellectuallization,” assertion reconstituted…only now drawn from the Catholic quiver). But that is too easy. Indeed, our love of Christ cannot simply be an “intellectual” love because Christ unambiguously defines it for us: he commands us (he doesn’t request it) to love one another as HE LOVED US (or to love our neighbors as ourselves).

Are we “earning” our salvation by loving Jesus? Absolutely not. That is like saying that Jesus “earned” our love on the cross, and that would be…well, I’d rather not say…or even think of it.

You see, justification has nothing to do with intellectualization-- it has everything to do with Love. You don’t earn love. You receive it. And you give it (i.e., you DO it, you WORK at it). And you love with NO INTENTION or need of getting anything in return-- otherwise it is not love. Not to sound like a beatitude, but Love is not selfish. No, by loving you are certainly not earning anything. You are giving it.

But this tired old lawyer thinks that two things are clear: loving Jesus is certainly about faith…and, by Jesus’ own definition, it is about works. After all, how can you love your neighbor without DOING love?
 
Um, YES!
Lord Jesus Christ wants us to love him, to actually talk to him as we talk to our friends…Our Lord wants us to repent and fully trust in his “unfathomable Divine Mercy.”

This is an important bit from the Diary of St. Faustina.
“Jesus: Be not afraid of your Savior, O sinful soul. I make the first move to come to you, for I know that by yourself you are unable to lift yourself to me. Child, do not run away from your Father; be willing to talk openly with your God of mercy who wants to speak words of pardon and lavish his graces on you. How dear your soul is to Me! I have inscribed your name upon My hand; you are engraved as a deep wound in My Heart.”
“Jesus: Be not afraid of your Savior, O sinful soul. I make the first move to come to you, for I know that by yourself you are unable to lift yourself to me. Child, do not run away from your Father; be willing to talk openly with your God of mercy who wants to speak words of pardon and lavish his graces on you. How dear your soul is to Me! I have inscribed your name upon My hand; you are engraved as a deep wound in My Heart.”
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top