Works without faith/ Total Depravity

  • Thread starter Thread starter WillyT315
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

WillyT315

Guest
Currently debating a Calvinist on Total Depravity. He believes that everything done without faith is sin. (referring to Romans 14:23, I do believe this verse is just hyperbole but I am not sure). basically everyone in original sin CANNOT do anything good. This is obviously false because of Noah (in Gen 6, I showed him) Obviously faith without works is dead, but is works without faith? I am new to discussing the whole TULIP concept, so I have come to ask for Biblical citations. He has sent a big long list of quotes where he claims the Bible says all without faith are TOTALLY deprived of good. Including Romans 3:10 (ive looked at Psalm 14:3-5 and compared them with him), John 6:44,65 , John 8:43-45, John 10:26, John 12:37-41 John 14:17, 1 Cor 2:14 and others. Is there a route I should go down with this discussion he has? For example, Romans 2:14 (I have mentioned this), but are there any other good passages in which I can discuss how we are not totally deprived, even though in original sin? Thanks if anyone has anything, Pax.
 
As Catholics we also profess that every good work has its origin in God and no good work can be done without him. Where we differ from the Calvinist is our role in cooperating in that good work which has its origin in God. We believe God initiates but leaves the door open for our will (now lifted up by God) to cooperate or not cooperate with him. Calvinists on the other hand believe God moves us to good works without asking for the cooperation of our will in them. As Catholics we believe good works are 100% dependent upon God but also 100% dependent upon man in cooperating (it’s an AND operation, if you’re familiar with logical systems). Calvinists believe it is 100% God and 0% man.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top