World Food Program 270 Million People Now Marching Toward Starvation In Wake of Covid-19 Lockdown

• Thread starter Thread starter gam197
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gam197

Director of the WFP, David Beasley, who previously warned that the “cure” for the COVID-19 pandemic should not be worse than the disease, told the United Nations General Assembly on Friday that 270 million people are now “marching towards starvation” in wake of the economic effects of the pandemic.

“As I had warned the United Nations Security council back in April, that if we’re not careful the cure could be worse than the disease because of the economic ripple effect – if we don’t handle economic disruptions, supply chain disruptions, ect. …” Beasley told the council
n April, Beasley pointed to an already deepening starvation crisis happening in conflict torn nations such as Yemen. He would warn that the world is “facing a perfect storm” with the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic and that if “funding shortfalls and disruptions to trade” could not be avoided “we could be facing multiple famines of biblical proportions within a short few months.
“But because of COVID it’s now spiking from 135 million people – not going to bed hungry now, [but] literally marching towards starvation – to 270 million people.”
Lockdowns just have one consequence that you must never, ever belittle, and that is making poor people an awful lot poorer,” Nabarro said in October.
Lockdowns do have consequences and let’s pray someone steps in.

Last edited:

The full text of the letter is as follows:
United Nations Secretary-General

His Excellency, António Guterres,

Excellency,

Since the outbreak of the Corona pandemic, the World Health Organization and the United Nations have made great efforts to decrease deaths resulting from the virus worldwide. According to official statistics, over 1,380,000 people across the world have lost their lives due to the coronavirus, as there is still no definitive solution or treatment to prevent such deaths.

On the other hand, the Secretary-General of the World Food Program said at a recent Security Council meeting on the situation in Yemen that we are now on the verge of a catastrophe.

The United Nations has previously admitted that Yemen is facing the world’s biggest humanitarian crisis and that 80 percent of the country’s 30 million people are in dire need of foreign aid.

Your deputy for humanitarian and relief affairs also admitted that because of the famine in Yemen people are starving to death.

Mr. Secretary-General, unlike the Coronavirus, there is a simple cure to prevent what you admit is the world’s greatest humanitarian crisis, the starvation of millions of oppressed women, children, and men in Yemen. However, no real action has been taken. Unfortunately, the attacks of the coalition led by Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates against the proud Yemeni people, which began in April 2015, continue with western material and logistical support amid the sickening silence of international organizations. No action has been taken to lift the siege and help the starving people of Yemen. You are answerable to history.
FA/PR

This should be a top story in news but it is not because it is all about lockdowns and we cannot break that scenario in order to address this crisis of starvation in 2020…

Last edited:
The longer this goes on, the more I feel it should have been more targeted. Even here in the US, working poor people are suffering, and I see more homeless people around where I live.

I help care for an elderly, vulnerable, and much loved relative, so I am totally aware of the danger, but at the same time, we knew from the beginning that young people were not as affected, so I have always been a little hesitant about the total shutdowns.

But these levels of starvation… and in another thread, someone posted that in some countries vaccination programs have been suspended, which means a lot of children vulnerable to different diseases.

Last edited:
But these levels of starvation… and in another thread, someone posted that in some countries vaccination programs have been suspended, which means a lot of children vulnerable to different diseases.
Can’t have first world nations leaders telling everyone that we need to go back into total lockdown and then be concerned at the same time with the after affect of lockdown.

Therefore nothing gets done and people starve.

Can’t have first world nations leaders telling everyone that we need to go back into total lockdown and then be concerned at the same time with the after affect of lockdown.
The people who advocate for shutdowns are always the ones who have guaranteed jobs (like politicians)…they don’t have to worry about where their next meal is coming from or if they’ll be able to make the next rent payment.

And since it is now commonplace to see those leaders who advocate for strict shutdowns not following their own rules…I also tend to believe they don’t care about how their shutdowns impact the most vulnerable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back