S
Sideline
Guest
I recently watched a talk by Dan Dennet. I figured that since I had been told at least a hundred times that I am a “Dan Dennet clone”, I should find out what this guy says. Turns out that we aren’t really all that much alike, but he does have one suggestion that I think is a great idea.
He thinks, and I agree, that every student should have to take a class or classes in the religions of the world. It isn’t meant to replace any religious education that students would receive from their parents or religious institutions. And it wouldn’t even need equal time with the religious education that parents or religious schools have in place. The classes would be designed to only teach the facts and history of the world’s religions, including non-religions like atheism and agnosticism. The reasoning is, that secretive and antisocial religions would fade away in the light of knowledge, whereas reasonable and socially responsible religions would flourish.
I was wondering what the Catholics on this site would think of this. What do you think, and why? For the sake of this argument I’d like people to that the plan is carried out as stated. In other words:
He thinks, and I agree, that every student should have to take a class or classes in the religions of the world. It isn’t meant to replace any religious education that students would receive from their parents or religious institutions. And it wouldn’t even need equal time with the religious education that parents or religious schools have in place. The classes would be designed to only teach the facts and history of the world’s religions, including non-religions like atheism and agnosticism. The reasoning is, that secretive and antisocial religions would fade away in the light of knowledge, whereas reasonable and socially responsible religions would flourish.
I was wondering what the Catholics on this site would think of this. What do you think, and why? For the sake of this argument I’d like people to that the plan is carried out as stated. In other words:
- No one tries to ban religious education or demand equal time for all religions. Your children will still be raised Catholic, they will just know what the tenets of Islam and Buddhism are.
- The course only teaches facts and history. It does not ascribe values, it does not say that all religions are equal, nor does it claim that all religions are the same. Your children will know that Hindus also believe in a saviour god, but they will not be taught that Jesus and Vishnu are the same.