Worst Commandmnt to Break

• Thread starter Thread starter Jay74
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jay74

I’m curious. Kind of an unofficial poll here. Which of the 10 commandments would you consider the worst sin?

I’ll work on my answer. 🙂

The First. The Commandments were given by God in order of importance.

I think the worst of the 10 commandments to break is “Do not carry the name of the Lord thy God in vain for God will not hold guiltless whoever carries His name in vain.”

Indeed, I believe this is possibly a sin that God will not forgive.

Most would argue murder is the worst sin, and it would be hard to argue against that. Indeed, most see taking the name of the Lord in vain as using God’s name when one shouldn’t. That’s a sin, no question. It may sound to some that I am implying that God will forgive murder, but not someone who uses His name inappropriate. I’m not—please hear me out.

As in my quote above, I stated “do not carry the name…” not, “do not take the name…”. “Carry” is a more precise translation. I believe this refers to doing evil in the name of God.

Murder is probably the worst act someone can commit. However, to murder in the name of God brings religion into question.

Tell me, what is the greatest hope for goodness in the world? On a Catholic forum, most would agree that it is God (and Jesus), and the belief that He demands goodness and will judge evil. For someone to murder innocents, while shouting “Allah is great!” (or “God is great!”), they are not only committing evil, they are simultaneously saying that God desires evil, and they are bring God on earth into disrepute.

This it taking place on a wide level among Muslim fanatics. And sadly, it does hurt God’s reputation on earth. For example, the New York Times decided to print “God” whenever militant fanatics say “Allah”. This increases fears of religion, and hurts the chance of goodness on earth.

There is a flip side to this as well. Most are familiar with the “unpardonable sin”. (Matt 12:31). In this instance, Jesus’ miracles were attributed to Satan. So in other words, when the greatest goodness on earth was at work, it the “unpardonable sin” was to attribute the greatest goodness (Jesus) to the greatest evil (Satan).

Conversely, when evil on earth is at work, the sin for which God will not “hold guiltless whoever” commits it is attributing evil to God.

I believe these sins are related, and are the most serious. To attribute evil to God, or God’s goodness to Satan, does far more damage than murder alone.

40.png
Jay74:
I think the worst of the 10 commandments to break is “Do not carry the name of the Lord thy God in vain for God will not hold guiltless whoever carries His name in vain.”
Instead of what you think, why not see what Jesus Christ said? Jesus said, “Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all they heart, and with all they soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment.” Matt22:37

This ties in directly to the First Commandment, and it follows that disobeying what Jesus called the first and great commandment would be the gravest sin.

40.png
Southernrich:
The First. The Commandments were given by God in order of importance.
Gods peace be with you Theophilus,

I tried telling a Baptist friend the same thing about the gifts in 1 Cor 12 being listed in order of importance an he laughed at me! Were is that in the Bible?

I do however think you are correct as far as ranking goes but I will cast my vote with a previous reply. Don’t break any of them!

A prisoner of Christ

Which commandment is the greatest??

You shall love the Lord your God with your whole heart, your whole mind and your whole soul.

Anything you put above God as the center of your life is a terrible sine. And the second is like the first:

You shall love your neighbor as yourself.

(Thought we’d all know these answers!! 😉 )

Correct Answer: Any.

Breaking any Commandment removes you from a state of grace. Unlike modern judicial systems, any infraction will result in the true death penalty.

The Barrister:
Correct Answer: Any.

Breaking any Commandment removes you from a state of grace. Unlike modern judicial systems, any infraction will result in the true death penalty.
Pretty much what I said, too. 👍

40.png
Southernrich:
Instead of what you think, why not see what Jesus Christ said? Jesus said, “Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all they heart, and with all they soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment.” Matt22:37

This ties in directly to the First Commandment, and it follows that disobeying what Jesus called the first and great commandment would be the gravest sin.
In that passage, Jesus is quoting Deuteronomy 6:5.

The wors commandet to breack is always the one I happen to be breaking at the moment…:banghead:

I think they go in order of importance to a degree. However, the unforgivable sin is not asking for God’s mercy. (I know, not what you were looking for)

Denise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back