Would it be a sin to disagree with the Vatican over anything that has nothing to do with the Bible, ten commandments, etc.?

• Thread starter Thread starter Dinosauce1994
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dinosauce1994

I disagree with Pope Benedict that Christ was not born on December 25. Let’s say if the Vatican agreed with him, but I still disagreed, would this be considered a sin?

Last edited:
What if the Vatican disagrees with you? If you disagree back, doesn’t that become a sin?

I don’t think I would call it a sin, but I’m always concerned when the average Joe’s opinion or individual idea is held to tighter than the individuals who have made their life out of studying and becoming experts on a topic. Why would you insist your idea on a matter like that is better than a brilliant theologian? Again, it doesn’t matter at the end of the day; as said above, not a hill worth dying on.

On issues like this, no. It’s up to anyone. Only one answer is right, but it the Vatican says to shut up about it, you should.

What if the Vatican is correct but you want to still hold onto your guts? (Of course, it being 100% trivial and nothing to do with the teaching, 10 commandments, or the church)

Last edited:
You can disagree with the Vatican on a lot of matters without sin, including for example its financial oversight of dicasteries or its China policy.

Normally, I don’t pay attention to the Vatican (I don’t not like them, I just love my local church which I understand is part of the Vatican, but I feel happier in my local church).

If it’s how you feel, it’s how you feel. Just religiously submit. They wouldn’t ever do this though.

This is more of a dispute over facts and evidence, not morals or theology. You’re therefore free to disagree with them; however, don’t do so lightly. They’re scholars who know more than you.

Last edited:
There are different levels of teaching requiring different levels of attention and assent. In this case, as I think Benedict XVI made explicitly clear in the very text of those books, it’s his private opinion, which one is free to disagree with as such… Though disagreeing with such an immense intellect is probably not the best idea, unless there are others of equal authority with contrary opinions.

Here is a helpful breakdown of some of the “levels” of teaching (sometimes called “theological notes” - though one can make further distinctions, this will suffice for most purposes):

Last edited:
If your reasons for a disagreement were based on study of facts, I don’t see it as a problem. But disagreement based on stubbornness and pride may require you to reflect on your reasons for disagreeing.

Last edited:
But it’s not a sin to not submit it seems.
In something like this, no. It’s not a matter of faith or dogma. That said…they know way more than you or I do, so you should probably accept the Vatican’s answer.

What if the Vatican disagrees with you? If you disagree back, doesn’t that become a sin?
The “date” of Jesus’ birth is not an article of faith or anything to do with morals so why would it be a sin.
It is not a sin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back