Would most priests qualify as an apologetic?

  • Thread starter Thread starter MarkA16
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MarkA16

Guest
I’d like to be an apologetic. Listening to John Martignoni and his journey told me that it’s never too late to start and that it’s a process that takes time. Also, back then I had thoughts on becoming a priest, my uncle being one in the Philippines, I thought it would have been passed down to me. Anyways, back to the title, would most priests qualify as an apologetic? I think apologetics would have no problem becoming priests. Can one do both? Or is being one really being both? Thanks!
 
I believe you mean an apologist, and this is one who explains and sometimes attempts to justify the official teaching of the Church. Preliminary indications are that you would be better off seeking another calling. 🙂
 
I believe you mean an apologist, and this is one who explains and sometimes attempts to justify the official teaching of the Church. Preliminary indications are that you would be better off seeking another calling. 🙂
Ba-da-bum! Ouch! 🙂
 
I’d like to be an apologetic. Listening to John Martignoni and his journey told me that it’s never too late to start and that it’s a process that takes time. Also, back then I had thoughts on becoming a priest, my uncle being one in the Philippines, I thought it would have been passed down to me. Anyways, back to the title, would most priests qualify as an apologetic? I think apologetics would have no problem becoming priests. Can one do both? Or is being one really being both? Thanks!
I dont know if most priests would qualify as Apologists in the sense Catholic Answers uses the term. There is simply too many twists and turns for a priest to have to train for to directly answer any given attack. That being said Priests are well trained to know what is heresy and what is orthodox but in terms of knowing how to effectively respond to any given question by a protestant for example they probably wouldnt know off the top of their head what to say.

Anyone (including priests) can be an Apologist as long as they desire to grow in knowledge of their Catholic faith and learn to know how to counter attack an anti-Catholic attack. Not everyone can be a priest, only males who have gone through the proper training and ordination can be priests.
One popular priest around there forums is Fr Serpa, he is an Apologist who works at Catholic Answers.
 
Catechists are typically involved with teaching the truths of the faith to those who are open to hearing it.

Apologists are typically involved with teaching the truths of the faith to those who are not open to hearing it or are even attacking it.

The typical priest is involved primarily with the former since his responsibilities are for pastoring a Church of believers.

Some priests, however, have focused more of their attention on defending the faith via a variety of media including television, books and Internet sites! 🙂
 
Ok so I got the words mixed up :o . To answer my question…?
I think what Jbuck might have been referring to was you comment that your Uncle’s priesthood may have been passed on to you, which seems to be a statement indicating you might not be ready to defend the faith. Perhaps I am misunderstanding you, but to clarify, the ordained priesthood has nothing to do with inheritance or genetics, but an individual calling from God, a response to that calling, and a proper ordination through the church. Of course … if this was truly a mistake on your part, I would only lump you in together with most of the lay apologists at work today - individuals who learned one day that they had a lot to learn (and still do), and who dove into study and prayer until a strong understanding of the faith started to develop. I’ll keep you in my prayers through your journey. Speaking of apologetics, feel free to visit my blog (link below). Just started it last week as an outgrowth of the ministry that I’ve started in my diocese. I started pretty ignorant of my childhood Catholic faith (and as a self-proclaimed atheist later on), but have worked to develop a ministry that now reaches several hundred through a television program, an e-newsletter, and talks at local churches. We just need more (educated) lay people to join in the momentum that has built around Catholic apologetics.
 
If you feel you might be called to be a priest that’s great!

That is the highest calling a man can do and what we should all look up to. A good holy priest should know how to defend the faith and be an apologist.

Read Saint Francis de Sales’ “The Catholic Controversy” and you will see how good an apologist a priest should be.

What more fulfilling life can you have than be a priest as you bring souls to Jesus, defend the faith, fight heresy and bring the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass to people? This is what real men are made to do.

So look into it and keep learning about the faith, we need more real priests and less wimps.

In Christ
Scylla
 
Catechists are typically involved with teaching the truths of the faith to those who are open to hearing it.

Apologists are typically involved with teaching the truths of the faith to those who are not open to hearing it or are even attacking it.

The typical priest is involved primarily with the former since his responsibilities are for pastoring a Church of believers.

Some priests, however, have focused more of their attention on defending the faith via a variety of media including television, books and Internet sites! 🙂
I disagree, solely on the facts of my own journey as a catholic. You state that " the typical priest is involved primarily with the former since his responsibilities are for pastoring a church of believers" I know to be a fact, and I’m sure many catholics here will admit that they also know way too many catholics that do not know their faith. We have many of our own catholics who attack their own church, and I believe most of this comes by the way of poor cathecism, and just plain old stubborness. I was given my first book on apologetics by a priest. He very carefully and patiently walked me through some areas of catholiciscm that I was “attacking”. I shall forever be grateful to God for placing this priest in front of me at a time that I would finally listen. When I have a question regarding my faith, I take it to one of our priests here at my parish, I have ALWAYS had my questions answered. and let me just say that some of these questions were meant to attack the church. I was not always a member of the “believers” and yet have always been catholic, and yet these priests took their time to defend that faith to me, so I in turn may be able to defend also. So my answer, in my case, is “yes” priests qualify as apologists.
 
Excuse me?🙂 ¨
Part of a priest’s mission is to teach/explain the Gospel. And isn’t apologetics another word for explaining? So, while he may not be a formal apologist, in the sense of the good people at CA, yes, a most priests would qualify.
 
Excuse me?🙂 ¨
Part of a priest’s mission is to teach/explain the Gospel. And isn’t apologetics another word for explaining? So, while he may not be a formal apologist, in the sense of the good people at CA, yes, a most priests would qualify.
No. An apologist defends the Church’s teaching against those who disagree with it or dislike it on other grounds. A catechist explains it in simple terms to the young and other new members. A preacher will apply it to current situations, and a theologian will develop, refine and extend it.

There is a certain amount of overlap, but most priests are not particularly good apologists, because the theological / pastoral mindset is not that of the man of controversy. Lawyers and journalists are more likely to be good apologist material.
 
Thank you for clarifying.
Retired Journalist
No. An apologist defends the Church’s teaching against those who disagree with it or dislike it on other grounds. A catechist explains it in simple terms to the young and other new members. A preacher will apply it to current situations, and a theologian will develop, refine and extend it.

There is a certain amount of overlap, but most priests are not particularly good apologists, because the theological / pastoral mindset is not that of the man of controversy. Lawyers and journalists are more likely to be good apologist material.
Can’t apologists explain to those that want to know more as well? Listening to John Martignoni, who is he speaking to? Catholics, Protestants, both? to Catholics because they want to know more. Just wondering because I as a Catholic am listening to learn more :).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top