• Thread starter Thread starter Kyle2253
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
40.png
HomeschoolDad:
People just don’t do that.
In fact, they do.
In the United States? Among people who are fully assimilated into American culture and prevailing social norms?

I had a relative who more or less forced her son-in-law to marry her pregnant daughter — it was the early 1960s — but I don’t think murder or mayhem would have been on the menu, if he had refused. While he always loved and provided well for both of his children (the one conceived out of wedlock as well as another who was born a couple of years later), he always resented the situation and eventually left the marriage. He kept a “thing on the side” for heaven only knows how long, and fathered a child by her.

Yet one more hillbilly soap opera. And that does happen every day of the world.

Last edited:
In the United States? Among people who are fully assimilated into American culture and prevailing social norms?
I’m not sure why you think this is such an impossibility. Take your average case of domestic abuse. A drunken spouse/parent flies into a fit of violent rage because dinner is overcooked. Now imagine a teenage daughter telling the same person she’s pregnant out of wedlock before she’s even finished high school.

To the first question: Yes, absolutely.

To the second question: Even people who are nth generation Americans born and raised do not always “assimilate into … prevailing social norms” (how many people who frequent this very forum have various opinions completely at odds with the perceived social norms?), as well as the fact that American culture is by no means monolithic.

40.png
HomeschoolDad:
I’m not sure why you think this is such an impossibility. Take your average case of domestic abuse. A drunken spouse/parent flies into a fit of violent rage because dinner is overcooked. Now imagine a teenage daughter telling the same person she’s pregnant out of wedlock before she’s even finished high school.
Okay, I see your point. In my circles, all you ever hear about, are the women who get pregnant and either get married, ostensibly of their own free will, or who end up not getting married and make the best of their situation. In the two cases I know best, the mothers solemnly assured everyone “oh, we’re gonna get married”… but it never happened. One couple moved in together, and in the other case, the father fell out of the picture after a short period of cohabitation, and the mother and her family raised the child.

And the abortion cases, well, you never hear about those. “Shout your abortion” has yet to catch on.

It is not a scenario without any actual basis in reality. This scenario is real in the case of early onset pre-eclampsia.

It is not a scenario without any actual basis in reality. This scenario is real in the case of early onset pre-eclampsia.
I still think this kind of thing is overly emphasized in pro-choice arguments. Anytime an anti-abortion argument is made, pro-choice people burst into a chorus of “But what about saving the life of the mother?!” Or “What about r*pe/incest?!” Such scenarios do happen, but most of the time, abortions are the result of a baby simply being unwanted—either by the mother of the baby, the father of the baby, both parents of the baby, the family of the mother, or all of the above.

I absolutely agree that pro-choice people use it as a kind of strawman, since it is indeed very rare and most abortions are elective. But I still believe it is a discussion worth having. We can’t just say “it basically never happens” and leave it at that, becuase it does happen, although rarely.

I absolutely agree that pro-choice people use it as a kind of strawman, since it is indeed very rare and most abortions are elective. But I still believe it is a discussion worth having. We can’t just say “it basically never happens” and leave it at that, becuase it does happen, although rarely.
Agreed

10 Characters

I still think this kind of thing is overly emphasized in pro-choice arguments. Anytime an anti-abortion argument is made, pro-choice people burst into a chorus of “But what about saving the life of the mother?!” Or “What about r*pe/incest?!” Such scenarios do happen, but most of the time, abortions are the result of a baby simply being unwanted—either by the mother of the baby, the father of the baby, both parents of the baby, the family of the mother, or all of the above.
This is pretty darn close to the conversation I was having with this individual. They said that they believe abortion is wrong except in the hypothetical case in the post and in the case of sexual assault (though they said that the choice should only be offered early in the pregnancy)

This is pretty darn close to the conversation I was having with this individual. They said that they believe abortion is wrong except in the hypothetical case in the post and in the case of sexual assault (though they said that the choice should only be offered early in the pregnancy)
Thank you for clarifying.

I apologize to everyone if the original post wasn’t clear lol. I was getting confused as well with the hypothetical situation that was given to me as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back