Wow!

• Thread starter Thread starter DaveBj
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DaveBj

After reading about all these liturgical abuses, I almost wish I could finish the conversion process, and then become a priest (in reality, I can’t; I’m married), so there would be at least one more who was concerned about doing it right.

:eek: :crying: :hmmm:

DaveBj

40.png
cmom:
You can be a deacon. 🙂
If he is 35 or older (this is for married men)

Celibacy is required before that age, and if your wife dies you then have to be celibate

40.png
DaveBj:
After reading about all these liturgical abuses, I almost wish I could finish the conversion process, and then become a priest (in reality, I can’t; I’m married), so there would be at least one more who was concerned about doing it right.

:eek: :crying: :hmmm:

DaveBj
Here’s what you do – become an Anglican priest (they’ll take anybody – married, gay, female or any combination of the three) and then convert to Catholicism over doctrinal issues. The Catholic Church will then have your priesthood made authentic and allow you to remain married.

Just kidding. This might work, but in case of a disaster, you probably wouldn’t want to die an Anglican.

Or learn some new languages, join the Eastern rite, and find a different set of challenges.

40.png
wet-rat:
Or learn some new languages, join the Eastern rite, and find a different set of challenges.
I’m fluent in Russian and Arabic; is that any help 😛 ?

Seriously, as I’m going through the process of a) reading about all the oddities in the Catholic Church in this forum and the CHN forum, and b) working my way toward being convinced that the Catholic Church is the true Church, I am concerned about what my options are going to be if I do follow through (I start RCIA in August).

There is only one parish anywhere around here, downtown. I’ve been to one mass there, but I sat way in the back and couldn’t really see much. It seemed pretty regular, but I don’t know enough to judge. I probably ought to go back and sit in the front.

There is also a monastery in town, but they are Benedictine, and their church has the crucifix and the tabernacle stuck down one of the side arms (I don’t know the architectural term). On the bright side, I am only 20 miles from the Shrine of the Most Blessed Sacrament, and you know if Mother Angelica’s involved, it’s going to be orthodox 👍 . However, I don’t know how acceptable it is to use something like these as a parish church, if the town parish turns out to be unacceptable for some reason.

Still workin’ things out; pray for me. :hmmm:

DaveBj

Dave:

We’ll be praying for you on your journey home!!!

In Christ,

Jorge.

40.png
DaveBj:
Still workin’ things out; pray for me. :hmmm:

DaveBj
I’ll make sure to add you to my prayer list. I still remember my journey back to the church.

40.png
bquinnan:
Here’s what you do – become an Anglican priest (they’ll take anybody – married, gay, female or any combination of the three) and then convert to Catholicism over doctrinal issues. The Catholic Church will then have your priesthood made authentic and allow you to remain married.

Just kidding. This might work, but in case of a disaster, you probably wouldn’t want to die an Anglican.
Sounds like a good idea … but then the wife might divorce you for becoming an Anglican then you’ll still be a unmarried priest!

40.png
wet-rat:
In the Byzantine Rite, our priests are not married, not since 1930. However, Eastern Rites in Europe and Ukraine are married.
Dave…pack your bags!

‘they say the Ukraine is the place you want to be, so they loaded up the truck and moved to the U-krain-e.’

go with God!
Edwin

I too am married and have always though the same way.
The Lord is calling you in your married state to confront these abuses.
After much prayer I do realise that every Parish needs its “John the Baptist” i.e. the little voice calling out in the wilderness make straight once again the ways of the Lord.

Show the strength of your belief by promoting with charity the truth about the teachings of Christ and the tradition of our Holy Church.

How can a Priest expect to be building a house when he is actively destroying the foundations?

Fergal

This is an old thread. I have mellowed a little bit, partly with the realization that a lot of the hue and cry was about personal preferences, not about actual liturgical abuses. I have also learned that a lot of what is now firm tradition was condemned as abuse when it first started (when I’ve done some more research, I’m going to post about that in the future). So I have decided that I am going to pick and choose my battles as I make my way into the Church over the next 7 months, and there are some hills (like holding hands or assuming the orans position during the Our Father) that I am not going to charge and fight over.

DaveBj

Dave,
It is interesting that an old post read again after a few months, show that you are making progress (evaluations) on what you once thoughts.
Old threads just don’t die, they just show how we mature in our faith!

go with God!
Edwin
P.S. Maybe we should ‘resurrect’ some of those old threads.

DaveBj:
Congrats on continuing on your “search” for the Truth! Yes, there are many problems in The Church but you will find that in any Church or organization. The “grace” is to find The Truth and say yes!!! If you have read the latest document from Rome “asking” that some of the worst “abuses” stop and immediately, then you know also that some of us are not speaking about “personal preferences”. That should not, however, deter you. We believe in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church founded by Jesus Christ, Himself or we would have left LONG ago. Join us but “know” the Faith. Must have books-Bible, the CCC, Code of Canon Law, the GIRM (General Instruction to the Roman Missal) Documents of Vatican II and “if” you are really serious and want to really fall in love with the Church, many of the writings of the Early Fathers, and don’t forget our beloved Pope JP II’s writings.
Our Lady, help of Christians, pray for us.
Peace on earth to men of good will.
LaVada

40.png
Fergal:
I too am married and have always though the same way.
The Lord is calling you in your married state to confront these abuses.
After much prayer I do realise that every Parish needs its “John the Baptist” i.e. the little voice calling out in the wilderness make straight once again the ways of the Lord.

Show the strength of your belief by promoting with charity the truth about the teachings of Christ and the tradition of our Holy Church.

How can a Priest expect to be building a house when he is actively destroying the foundations?

Fergal
Me too, Fergal. And I am a married woman. Keep the lens on the target. Quiet questions to the pastor in the presence of laymen: “When does Redemptionis Sacramentum kick in for us?” “Did the bishop dispense us from XYZ in Redemptionis Sacramentum?” “Is there some pastoral reason that we do/don’t XYZ according to the rubrics?” “Do you think that ignoring official Church directives has the right sign value for our parishoners?”

Always use phrases like “sign value” because stuff like that is the hip jargon of diocesan worship offices . . .

(We converts are TROUBLE!)

40.png
LaVada:
…Join us but “know” the Faith. Must have books-Bible, the CCC, Code of Canon Law, the GIRM (General Instruction to the Roman Missal) Documents of Vatican II and “if” you are really serious and want to really fall in love with the Church, many of the writings of the Early Fathers, and don’t forget our beloved Pope JP II’s writings.
Our Lady, help of Christians, pray for us.
Peace on earth to men of good will.
LaVada
Oh, yes, I have a lot of studying to do, but computers make it sooooo much easier. I have 30-odd volumes of the Church Fathers (Ante-Nicene, Nicene, and Post-Nicene) on CD-ROM, the CCC as a book, and I’ve taken to copying things like the GIRM, V-II documents, and encyclicals into WordPerfect files and reading them at work (night watchman with lots of free time) on my laptop. I’ve also resumed my Greek, Hebrew, and Latin studies; sometimes there just isn’t enough time in a 13-hour night shift 😃

Edwin: it’s funny, but I was just thinking about going back to Page 1 of some of these forums and re-reading some of the threads.

DaveBj

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back