Written Confession

  • Thread starter Thread starter Thoughtfulone
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Silver, I strongly suggest that you read my previous post and view the links that I provided. I am really under the impression that some of you are losing sight of the sacrament of Reconciliation (it is not the sacrament of Confession).

This thread is so sin-list-centric that it seems like many of you are neglecting the most important part of this sacrament, and that concerns me.

Previous post: forums.catholic-questions.org/showpost.php?p=7617419&postcount=15
 
This is probably as a good a place as any to raise this issue. I’m in the midst of reading St. Faustina’s “Diary of a Soul” (I highly recommend it to all!), and I just came across the following passage St. Faustina wrote about Confession. And as it turns out, I recently had an experience somewhat similar to what she describes below (and please note, I’m not blaming the priest who heard my confession whatsoever):

Two weeks ago, I went to confession as part of my return to the Church after being a lukewarm Catholic for quite a few years. I gave a general confession that spanned roughly the last 25 years of my life.

I was probably in the confessional for a solid 45 minutes. I had my sins written down on paper prior to the Confession, although in retrospect I could have organized them better. I started writing the sins down by each Commandment, but after I did that I just kept thinking of more and more of them, and I kept writing them down.

Well, as time wore on during my Confession, we were reaching the end of the time allotted for Confessions, and the priest gently encouraged me to cut to the chase, so he could give me my penance and some parting words. Time was tight at that point. I suppose I was rambling a bit, but I just had so much ground to cover. Again, I’m not blaming the priest. He was very pleased that I had returned to confession, and that was nice. But once I sensed that he wanted me to wrap things up, I got nervous and locked up. (My fault, not the confessor’s.) I said a bit more, but once I felt the urgency to wrap up, I named a couple more sins in very general terms, and told him that’s all I had.

The final sins I named, I could have given him a better feel for the frequency and specifics. And I also looked again after the Confession at my written list, and realized there were some things I just didn’t get to.

To make a long story short, I left the confessional feeling somewhat concerned that my confession was invalid, despite going into the Confession with the intention of routing sin out of my soul. And reading the above entry from St. Faustina really hit me. Could it be that this Confession “profited nothing?”

I want to go back to Confession at a minimum to tell sins I forgot to tell during this Confession, but also to come back with a bucket full of trust in The Lord, as St. Faustina suggests.

I’m wondering if the group has any thoughts about my situation, particularly in light of St. Faustina’s journal entry above. I’m willing to confess all my sins again, but couldn’t that be an insult to the Sacrament if my last Confession was valid?

I’d appreciate any guidance you can provide. I’m also torn as to whether I should return to the same priest, since he might remember me (at least somewhat) and express my concerns to him, or whether I should start from scratch with a different priest, and explain my situation. Thanks in advance.
It can be difficult to say…but i would bring this up in confession…

It is true that we are obliged to confess all our mortal sins in number and kind (adultery 2x, murder 3x) and circumstance that change things…like the person you murdered was your brother…

and if we intentionally conceal a mortal sin…yes that invalidates a confession…and requires a confession of the concealed sin and the sin of concealing it…along with all the other mortal sins that were confessed…(and any since).

and if we forget a mortal sin…well that is of course a different matter. We are obliged to confess it in the next confession but such can be absolved indirectly.

But in your case…I would bring it up with the confessor (in the least you will need to confess the things or number you left off…and being ready to confess the others…(read my post above though about if the confessor remembers your sins indistinctly…))

But it hard for me to say in this case…with the “time constrants etc”

jimmyakin.typepad.com/defensor_fidei/2005/04/confession_vali.html

jimmyakin.typepad.com/defensor_fidei/2007/03/specific_confes.html
 
I want to go back to Confession at a minimum to tell sins I forgot to tell during this Confession, but also to come back with a bucket full of trust in The Lord, as St. Faustina suggests.
Include them at your next confession. It’s your confession and you’re the one needing to feel the absolution of them.

It might take a month of weekly confessions to get your mind and soul back on an “even keel.”
 
Silver, I strongly suggest that you read my previous post and view the links that I provided. I am really under the impression that some of you are losing sight of the sacrament of Reconciliation (it is not the sacrament of Confession).

This thread is so sin-list-centric that it seems like many of you are neglecting the most important part of this sacrament, and that concerns me.

Previous post: forums.catholic-questions.org/showpost.php?p=7617419&postcount=15
Thanks. What you say makes plenty of sense, and I completely agree with the spirit of your posts. It’s just that after this particular Confession, I was reminded in various places that a confession is invalid unless mortal sins are confessed in “number and kind.” And although my intent was good, and I was (and am) contrite, I began to wonder whether I had failed in this 25-year Confession. But your words are comforting, so thanks.

Also, after reading the passage I supplied from Saint Faustina again, I think I may have taken it out of context. She was referring to very specific circumstances that were her own, and were probably not relevant to my situation.
 
Include them at your next confession. It’s your confession and you’re the one needing to feel the absolution of them.

It might take a month of weekly confessions to get your mind and soul back on an “even keel.”
Thanks, I agree.
 
I wish I could say I didn’t know it was a mortal sin…I knew that the Church taught that if you have pre-marital sex, you go to hell, I just didn’t believe it (tbh, I still question it, but I’m married so it doesn’t really matter now). What I DIDN’T know was that you had to confess every sin that the Church considers to be mortal for the confession to be valid. ** I was never taught this, in fact, I was taught never to confess something for which I wasn’t sorry** or that I didn’t think was a sin, so I omitted it, not knowing this would invalidate my whole confession 😦
Personally, Thoughtfulone, many, many of the responses on this thread are totally nonsensical. These kind of responses are why I’m taking a break from CAF for Lent :(.

As I said in my other post, it is IMPOSSIBLE to accidentally commit a mortal sin. You cannot ACCIDENTLY condemn yourself to hell. Making an invalid confession would be a mortal sin. This would be a blasphemy against the sacred rite. I do not believe this was the case.

You are merely guilty of being improperly educated about the sacrament. The sacrament is an a mechanical process. ** Do not treat it as such.
**
I believe you mentioned that you were married. The situation of premarital sex and co-habitation has been rectified. Merely confess you ignorance of proper confessional protocol to the priest at the next opportunity. Mention that this ignorance lead you continue in a sinful lifestyle, and ask the priest for guidance.

Sin hurts your human person. Premarital sex hurts you and your partner. You need healing and forgiveness, not a bickering about your damnation from online busy-bodies!

Confession is concluded with the words of ABSOLUTION! This is conferred absolutely! Your sins were indeed forgiven, as you confessed as honestly as possible (according to what I read here). Now in your ignorance, you may have fallen immediately back into sin (do to cohabitation), but I believe your previous confessions were valid.

God is more than say, an iPhone app! Its not about following the canon law perfectly, its about trusting in His mercy. Go to confession, confess your confusion about the past. Answer any questions the priest asks, and TRUST GOD’S FORGIVENESS!
 
One must make an integral confession…it needs to be at least formally integral (all the mortal sins one is conscious of…and of course one examines oneself). This is not just a “rule” of course but is part of the nature of the sacrament. Just like one needs water for baptism…one needs to confess all ones mortal sins in number and kind honestly…not hiding a moral sin…and of course being contrite and amended.
 
Thanks especially to nicolep, runningdude, and Di_bear for expounding on the true purpose and proper intent of this sacrament of healing embrace and genuine encounter with our Lord.

Here is additional (name removed by moderator)ut from another thread, which may help you, Thoughtfulone, in orienting yourself to your next confession, as well as future ones. It’s from a Dominican Brother.
I think that we are looking at the Sacrament in the wrong way.

The question that we need to ask ourselves first is: “Why do I go to confession?”
If the answer that you provide to this question is: “for the forgiveness of my sins” then we have a problem. This disposition toward the Sacrament of Penance is ones that is more related to servile or filial fear of God because of our sins. While this is helpful to some degree it is not ideal. Rather, our answer to the question ought to be: “to receive the grace of the Sacrament.” This establishes a different disposition to the Sacrament.

In order to live a good christian life we should be frequent participants of the Sacraments. Why? They are the ordinary means of receiving the ‘grace that makes us pleasing to God’ (Sanctifying Grace). In other words, they are concrete encounters with the person and love of God. And, this is what we ought to be striving for: living a life that is in a loving relationship with the Lord. Hence our disposition to this Sacrament should be formed by the love of God.

In this way we can approach the Sacrament of Penance not as a legalistic mechanism for the forgiveness of our sins – which it is not. But, instead, it becomes a Sacrament of Healing – which it is. When we form our disposition to the Sacrament of Penance in this ways I think that many of these questions melt away. The anxiety of being a faithful penitent flees from us as an unwanted spirit and we are filled with a spirit of peace.

This sets the disposition. But, there is a practical aspect to the Sacrament that is important. This can be identified as honesty. Be honest with yourself and be honest with your confessor. Tell the confessor what you think are mortal sins and what are not mortal sins, and let him know in advance that you will be confessing both or just one or just the other. This will help the confessor determine the disposition he should have to you. Approached with this level of honesty you will help avoid scrupulosity or permissiveness because you will lay it all before the confessor for him to judge.

Last, leave your sins in the confessional. You will sin again because you are human. So, reconcile yourself to that fact and learn to live a life that is completely dependent upon the Lord’s mercy and not ones own power.
{Bolding mine.)
Lists are not “bad.” But first ask yourself, Why am I doing this? Do I need to do this? Will this deepen my appreciation of my need for mercy? Or is this about bringing a green eye shade & sharpened pencil into the confessional? Do I trust this confessor to receive my confession as a sincere recollection, or am I treating him, and the sacrament, with fear or with grudging dutifulness?

Some people do bring lists. There have been some good threads and posts on this recently – people who have brought lists; sometimes for simple confessions, sometimes for general (long absence) ones. But hopefully if one does this, the ‘recitation’ is not rote but heartfelt, and maybe clustered around certain themes or cardinal sins, introduced perhaps one section at a time. Lists don’t work for me, because I find that I’m more spontaneous & sincere when I’m not reading or rehearsed, but rely on the Holy Spirit and the confessor to guide me. But you should do what’s valid for you.

In that regard (as some other posters have mentioned here), an alternate approach would be to mention any forgotten serious sins (of course!) in your next confession, and at the same time (if this is true), ask the priest how you should handle already confessed sins that you now feel genuine pain about, recognizing newly their severity. The fact is (as others have said) they have been forgiven! What remains now is the sharper regret. That’s what you bring to prayer in the future. Bring this to your Lenten recollections – your increased sorrow for already forgiven sins. But perhaps your confessor has other, additional ideas, about how the sacrament in particular can help you in this area.

I just bundle my deeper awareness of past sins (and temporal effects of those) into my prayer life, including Confession preparation and post-confession penance/prayer. Also I bring this to The Stations, to Benediction/Adoration, visits outside of Mass, and Divine Mercy devotion. If your own parish church doesn’t particularly honor Divine Mercy Sunday (after Easter), you might want to find a parish that does, and attend those devotions on that day. In my region there is also a Divine Mercy perpetual adoration chapel. There may be one in your state which you can locate. It’s a good place to bring the (rhetorical) question, Have my past sins really been forgiven?

God bless,
Elizabeth
 
As I suggest in the above post…talk with the Priest in confession as to what you may or may not need to do here…this is important I think…then he can guide you…
I returned to Confession yesterday, and to the same priest. He comforted me.

Thanks to everyone for your help. And thank You Lord for Your unfathomable Divine Mercy.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top