Xmas vs Christmas

• Thread starter Thread starter kellie
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kellie

I was at a meeting the other night with my Priest, and he wrote on the board the word “Xmas” as we were planning the year ahead.

I have not asked him yet as to why he chooses to abbreviate it this way, but I was always under the impression that it is wrong to “take the Christ out of Christmas”.

What do others think ? And is there an official view on this ?

“Xmas” seems to be used when one wants to acknowledge the holiday, but still seem politically correct by keeping any sort of religion out of the holy day, which seems really ironic, since God makes Christmas, and now isn’t part of it :ehh:. My conclusion: putting an X where Christ should be takes the real meaning out of Our Savior’s Birth.

Actually, it’s a abbreviation with a religious justification: the X isn’t just an X. It’s a cross.

However many people want to get Christ out of Christmas, there must be an equal number (particularly Fundamentalists and Evangelicals) who want to get the Mass out of Christmas. :ehh:

The word “Xmas” has a religious justification, but not the one that you guys are thinking of. From Snopes.Com:
The abbreviation of ‘Xmas’ for ‘Christmas’ is neither modern nor disrespectful. The notion that it is a new and vulgar representation of the word ‘Christmas’ seems to stem from the erroneous belief that the letter ‘X’ is used to stand for the word ‘Christ’ because of its resemblance to a cross, or that the abbreviation was deliberately concocted “to take the ‘Christ’ out of Christmas.” Actually, this usage is nearly as old as Christianity itself, and its origins lie in the fact that the first letter in the Greek word for ‘Christ’ is ‘chi,’ and the Greek letter ‘chi’ is represented by a symbol similar to the letter ‘X’ in the modern Roman alphabet. Hence ‘Xmas’ is indeed perfectly legitimate abbreviation for the word ‘Christmas’ (just as ‘Xian’ is also sometimes used as an abbreviation of the word ‘Christian’).
So while the “X” isn’t really a cross, it just have a very ancient, Catholic significance nevertheless.

Hope this helps.

While working at my parish one of my responsibilites was weekly bulletin editor. I used “XMAS” on the calendar inside and was lambasted by a parishioner, as he mistakenly thought I was being disrespectful, etc. Just then the pastor walked in and apologized to this parishioner and told him it wouldn’t happen again!!!

I think it was in one of Mr. Keating’s books that I first read and thought of the X in Christmas as representing Christ. It does make you feel better to think of it that way!

The previous poster is correct, the X is Greek from the letter “Chi”, which is the letter(s) in the Greek spelling of Christ, itself whose origins are Greek. X-Mas is very Christian

My daughter’s mother [a protestant of indeterminate denomination] believes “xmas” to be offensive, and instructs my daughter wherever she sees “xmas” to draw a P through the center to create the labarum (chi-rho).

It used to be acceptable to use the X, then it was adopted by people who wanted to secularize christmas, so of course its fallen into disfavor.Sort of like the word gay.

I like to write XPmas, with the X and P intersecting. It draws attention to the Greek abbreviation.

I’ve heard about the Greek meaning, but I doubt that is the motive for using the X for most people who use it.

You want to talk blasphamy? Universal in Orlando promotes (or promoted) the idea of “Grinchmas” during the Christmas season.

First, I think we shouldn’t be offended if someone uses it - especially someone we know to be faithful. Let’s assume they are simply using an abbreviation that everyone understands, and has a religious root.

However, I can also understand when someone brings it to our attention out of concern. Unfortunately, it’s the state of the world that a lot of people want to secularize the holiday altogether. Someone perhaps may erroneously think we are being disrespectful, but don’t blame them because they don’t know that the X is “chi” and it really isn’t! I feel the opposite. It may be an overreaction, but I’d rather see people on the side of defending the Christianity of the holiday.

As was said earlier, the “X” in Xmas does come from the Greek letter “Chi” which is (I think…I’d have to look it up again) the first letter in Christ’s name in Greek.

I, in chat situations and in taking notes, will often write “Xians”, “Xianity” or even just “X”.

~mango~

Since secularists want “Christ” out.😦 Protestants want “mass” out.:nope: Christians take “X” as or as not an insult?:confused: I propose we change the name to something politically correct.🙂

How bout: “Creditcarddebtday” ?:rotfl:

Then we’ll need to change the calander so it’s not based on Christs’ birthday, and oh yea no birthdays anymore since it offends the JW’s, etc… :whacky:

When does it end?:hmmm:

Yeah, it’s that time again! :eek: Oh the Commericalism!

I just don’t like the ‘Happy Holidays’ stick because ‘we might offend someone’ :rolleyes:
As in the past, it’s ‘Merry Christmas’ and nothing else. Get ready, it’s something to start thinking about.

go with God!
Edwin
Merry Chirstmas=62 days from now!

I don’t mind Xmas if it is written by somebody who is jotting notes quickly or in a space without a lot of room, but otherwise I think it is disprespectful. I also don’t like all the “Happy Holidays” stuff. Who are we fooling? The reason for the big “to do” is Christmas, and not some other holiday. If I know somebody is Jewish or Muslim, then I wouldn’t say “Merry Christmas.” I do know that my Jewish friends are not offended by people who say that to them when they don’t know if they are Jewish. Why would they be?

By the way Mango, I used to drive through Fulton all the time because my grandparents lived in Clinton.

bapcathluth (quite an interesting name, BTW)
I also don’t like all the “Happy Holidays” stuff. Who are we fooling?
My kids and I get a kick out of saying “Merry Christmas to you, too!!” to all those sales people with the “Happy Holidays” send off. My guess is that “Happy Holidays” is offensive to a lot more people than “Merry Christmas” is. They should get a clue when I am in the check out with my Nativity Scene wrapping paper and my “In Excelsis Deo” wall hanging!!!

A friend of mine when I was in 5th grade (quite a while ago:) ) told me her mom said we should not use xmas because it x’s the christ of of christmas. Sounded reasonable to me so I’ve never used it since but I do not get offended if other people do. when I write our yearly Christmas letter I wish everyone a Merry Christmas kind of as a reminder what the holiday is about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back