J
jamannor
Guest
So I bought a new bible. The New Jerusalem Bible, saints devotional edition. I’m putting away my New International Version. My question is that they use the term Yahweh in place of Lord as in Gn 2:8 Yahweh God planted a garden in Eden, which is in the east, and there he put the man he had fashioned.
But most bibles I’ve ever read have said …Then the LORD God planted a garden in Eden, in the east, and he placed there the man whom he had formed. [NAB]
I understand that Yahweh is the English translation of God’s name from Hebrew. But it’s all over the old testament, and I’m wondering why don’t other bibles translate it like this? (I know a few use Jehovah (as in the American Standard), I did a quick comparison use the list of on-line bibles. I looked on Wikipedia and they just say most Jews say their Lord God. Because of the holiness of the name. Which means that it’s out of tradition, but why change it? I’ve than looked in the Catholic encyclopedia and didn’t really get my answer either. So anything would be helpful. Other than the Yahweh word I like the NJB. It’s easy to read.
Quick Edit- They don’t always use Yahweh, sometimes they just say God too as in Gn1
~Jerry
But most bibles I’ve ever read have said …Then the LORD God planted a garden in Eden, in the east, and he placed there the man whom he had formed. [NAB]
I understand that Yahweh is the English translation of God’s name from Hebrew. But it’s all over the old testament, and I’m wondering why don’t other bibles translate it like this? (I know a few use Jehovah (as in the American Standard), I did a quick comparison use the list of on-line bibles. I looked on Wikipedia and they just say most Jews say their Lord God. Because of the holiness of the name. Which means that it’s out of tradition, but why change it? I’ve than looked in the Catholic encyclopedia and didn’t really get my answer either. So anything would be helpful. Other than the Yahweh word I like the NJB. It’s easy to read.
Quick Edit- They don’t always use Yahweh, sometimes they just say God too as in Gn1
~Jerry