N
nordskoven
Guest
Christ appeared to mystic nuns from St. Gertrude the Great to Sister Faustina emphasizing He is the Lord of Mercy and we are to avail ourselves of His mercy before He must return as the Lord of Judgment. And Christ said, “You have not because you ask not.”
So I’m absolutely entangled and baffled and needing help in things great and small. I know there are much more pressing issues presented here. I feel stupid for asking, but Christ said to, so here goes. One vexing thing is a “duplex” I bought that is a travesty of additions. The 20X30 brick box is 100 years old that needs a new floor because of termite damage. It has wood framed shed roof additions on two sides like an L shape. Sounds easy. But the framing is absolutely unintelligible. And the plumbing core, which is under weirdly poured slab concrete, is off kilter and at different elevations.
Part of the problem is the original brick building was the St. Clair grocery store. Then there came, I suspect, structural butchery around the time of prohibition, and I think a passage and storage was put in to dole the booze bottles safely out the back. This brought in the dough as this odd section was done in now-rotted oak, very fancy stuff. But the framing is crazy, with one wall being wood that is through-bolted with threaded rod, for example. It looks like it was made by a picture framer, probably the oak panel guy.
And there is a two foot passage behind one bathroom, so with it gutted the john is in the middle of the room. Windows were at this time hacked in the north brick wall off symmetry by one foot, used to hide a one foot hidden wall of prohibition liquor bottles, I suspect. These windows have no reinforcing iron so I have to figure out how to get the wood frames out and angle iron in without collapsing the wall above. The outside brick was repointed this summer, but inside is powdery mortar barely holding in hollow ceramic blocks with grooves (used to hold the finish plaster) that has to be redone safely, cheaply and stoutly. And the roof needs to be redone.
And the front and side elevations of shed roofing are at different levels and connected by a wild trapezoid. The walls taper to the bathroom passage which I can see visually outside but the south shed roof area is framed differently like a stall with tongue and groove boards, and I can’t find the “spot” to re-align. I thought it was rotted and tilted and just needed replacing but it was built that way. And of course the door openings in the brick dictate a certain floor plan, and I can’t seem to refine it to a practical traffic pattern.
The later World War II “duplex” modification added to the maze and I’m still removing masonite used instead of sheet rock. Oy. So it’s a blank slate that needs new heating and cooling; wiring; and gas hook-ups. I’d like to not go bankrupt but let it bankroll me as a place to live with a rentable apartment; or possibly help the poor neighbors if I can get a commercial zoning to sell groceries as the Quik Trip is the nearest food source–it’s a grocery desert are, so-called.
I did have the house blessed by the out-of-town priest who bought the “real” duplex next door and who has rented 1/2 out to Catholics. This blessing, I believe, accounts for the inability of certain people to stick around, including a guy who worked for me before the blessing but who is now allergic to the place. That’s great. I’m kind of like the neighborhood “social worker” who is relatively stable and sober, helping people like the homeless lady, and the “eccentric” vet with a shrapnel wound to the head who just got his disability cut! Until I’m remodeled, I can’t get insurance, and I’ve been robbed and hope I can escape any physical violence. I need help, and your prayers have proven invaluable, so I’d like to “let go and let God” and beg your prayers again for my confusing situation and for these at-risk individuals. An elegant solution, please Lord. And bless, dear God, all those who minister so diligently in prayer. Thanks.
So I’m absolutely entangled and baffled and needing help in things great and small. I know there are much more pressing issues presented here. I feel stupid for asking, but Christ said to, so here goes. One vexing thing is a “duplex” I bought that is a travesty of additions. The 20X30 brick box is 100 years old that needs a new floor because of termite damage. It has wood framed shed roof additions on two sides like an L shape. Sounds easy. But the framing is absolutely unintelligible. And the plumbing core, which is under weirdly poured slab concrete, is off kilter and at different elevations.
Part of the problem is the original brick building was the St. Clair grocery store. Then there came, I suspect, structural butchery around the time of prohibition, and I think a passage and storage was put in to dole the booze bottles safely out the back. This brought in the dough as this odd section was done in now-rotted oak, very fancy stuff. But the framing is crazy, with one wall being wood that is through-bolted with threaded rod, for example. It looks like it was made by a picture framer, probably the oak panel guy.
And there is a two foot passage behind one bathroom, so with it gutted the john is in the middle of the room. Windows were at this time hacked in the north brick wall off symmetry by one foot, used to hide a one foot hidden wall of prohibition liquor bottles, I suspect. These windows have no reinforcing iron so I have to figure out how to get the wood frames out and angle iron in without collapsing the wall above. The outside brick was repointed this summer, but inside is powdery mortar barely holding in hollow ceramic blocks with grooves (used to hold the finish plaster) that has to be redone safely, cheaply and stoutly. And the roof needs to be redone.
And the front and side elevations of shed roofing are at different levels and connected by a wild trapezoid. The walls taper to the bathroom passage which I can see visually outside but the south shed roof area is framed differently like a stall with tongue and groove boards, and I can’t find the “spot” to re-align. I thought it was rotted and tilted and just needed replacing but it was built that way. And of course the door openings in the brick dictate a certain floor plan, and I can’t seem to refine it to a practical traffic pattern.
The later World War II “duplex” modification added to the maze and I’m still removing masonite used instead of sheet rock. Oy. So it’s a blank slate that needs new heating and cooling; wiring; and gas hook-ups. I’d like to not go bankrupt but let it bankroll me as a place to live with a rentable apartment; or possibly help the poor neighbors if I can get a commercial zoning to sell groceries as the Quik Trip is the nearest food source–it’s a grocery desert are, so-called.
I did have the house blessed by the out-of-town priest who bought the “real” duplex next door and who has rented 1/2 out to Catholics. This blessing, I believe, accounts for the inability of certain people to stick around, including a guy who worked for me before the blessing but who is now allergic to the place. That’s great. I’m kind of like the neighborhood “social worker” who is relatively stable and sober, helping people like the homeless lady, and the “eccentric” vet with a shrapnel wound to the head who just got his disability cut! Until I’m remodeled, I can’t get insurance, and I’ve been robbed and hope I can escape any physical violence. I need help, and your prayers have proven invaluable, so I’d like to “let go and let God” and beg your prayers again for my confusing situation and for these at-risk individuals. An elegant solution, please Lord. And bless, dear God, all those who minister so diligently in prayer. Thanks.