Yoga bad, Kung Fu fine?

  • Thread starter Thread starter DrewM
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DrewM

Guest
Hello out there, so I’m interested in martial arts for self defense purposes. I know for a fact that yoga is a no no according to many priests (especially exorcists). Is Kung Fu or Tai Chi anything like yoga? I’ve been doing Tai Chi for a while and haven’t experienced anything strange.

Blessings!
 
As I am someone who has experience in none of the three, I feel absolutely qualified to offer my opinion.

Kung Fu and Tai Chi are supposed to require concentration and focus – much like any activity, whether you’re knitting or hitting golf balls or competing in a triathlon.
 
Both are fine. The yoga that you should avoid is the one that cannot be separated from the worship of Hindu gods. But you can do physical yoga.
 
I’ve been involved in martial arts for over 50 years. I’ve never been in an uncomfortable situation. I can’t see why yoga is a problem either. Most yoga instructors only emphasize the posses and stretching. If they do mention Budda or anything else you are free to ignore it.

The following is my opinion: If you want to learn self defense Kung Fu and certainly Tai Chi won’t work. Take Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and Thai Kickboxing. These arts are the ultimate. They are challenging, will make you fit, and you will learn true self defense. You’ll be a warrior!
 
Last edited:
Thai Kickboxing. These arts are the ultimate. They are challenging, will make you fit, and you will learn true self defense. You’ll be a warrior!
Don’t Thai Kickboxers roll glass bottles on their shins to kill the nerve endings so they can tolerate pain?
 
Don’t Thai Kickboxers roll glass bottles on their shins to kill the nerve endings so they can tolerate pain?
I have heard they do that in Thailand. They also hammer their shins against trees. I’ve never seen that done in US schools, and I think it may be a gross exaggeration built on legend.

American kickboxers are a competent and fit group of fighters. Couple it with grappling skills of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Jitsu (BJJ) and you are a complete fighter.

I trained and faught in amateur MMA bouts and, in my opinion, it’s the best training you can get.
 
Last edited:
I live way out in the country and don’t have access to classes. Is there any dvd and book material you could point me to?
 
Is there any dvd and book material you could point me to?
Ultimately your going to have get together with some guys and mix it up. My best recommendation for pure self defense is Jim Grover. Google him and buy his books and DVD’s. He has great advice on hand to hand and guns.

There are plenty of kickboxing and BJJ DVDs. You probably want to focus on “no gi” BJJ. Ultimately you want to find a school. You need instructors teaching you, and sparing partners.

Be careful. I’ve had my nose broken twice and three ribs broken. It happens!
 
Last edited:
I can’t see why yoga is a problem either. Most yoga instructors only emphasize the posses and stretching. If they do mention Budda or anything else you are free to ignore it.
Some instructors make it hard to ignore. I went to a yoga class at my gym where the instructor kept droning about inviting various forces into the body while engaging in the movements. To me, the language she was using could be considered an open invitation to evil spirits looking for a home. I wish the gym chain I belong to would only hire instructors who stick to the physical movements and leave the Hindu/Buddhist elements out, but they won’t do that for some reason, and some instructors will argue, perhaps accurately, that if one omits the spiritual aspects, one isn’t really doing authentic yoga at all.
 
there is no absolute prohibition against yoga by the church, despite what people try to claim, you have ot discern,

there are classes where I was personally fine with everything and it was just for fitness and others where the instructors were a little weird, but still, I can ignore it just fine, not everyone can though.

as for martial arts, you need the same discernment, manyof the more traditional ones do have some form of spirituality
 
I’d always been interested in it but never tried it. In college, I joined the martial arts club. I paid my dues, but never got the gi that was supposed to go with it, the main sensei stopped showing up after the first couple training sessions, and then I got punched pretty hard in the wrist and kicked on the side of the head during non-contact sparring by a guy who was more advanced than the absolute beginner that I was—and the kid knew exactly what he was doing, I saw it in his eyes. Luckily he wore pads on his feet. So I said, ‘the heck with it,’ and quit going.
 
Why is yoga a no-no? So long as it is not being used in a “religious” way but merely as a means of relaxation and fitness, I don’t see anything wrong with it. Yogurt is also good. The same applies to Kung Fu (and Kung Pao chicken).
 
Last edited:
Hello out there, so I’m interested in martial arts for self defense purposes. I know for a fact that yoga is a no no according to many priests (especially exorcists). Is Kung Fu or Tai Chi anything like yoga? I’ve been doing Tai Chi for a while and haven’t experienced anything strange.

Blessings!
I have a priest friend who is in his 80’s and has been practising Tai Chi his whole life. There is no problem with Catholics doing martial arts.
 
I love Tai Chi! It has helped me with my antidepressant medication coping skills, along with pushups.

There is nothing wrong with reading about Taosim. No, I don’t think that reading about Eastern religion or practicing Tai Chi is an occasion of sin.

Just don’t be a narcissist, is my philosophy. My instructor believes in wisdom and respect. Trying to perfect Tai Chi to get a trophy like it is a sport is futile and not wise.

I think it is great to know that we are imperfect and that wisdom comes from God and listening to the Holy Spirit.

I hope my post made sense.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top