You have something on your head

  • Thread starter Thread starter LilyElain
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Remember back in the olden days (about 30+ years ago) when public schools regularly served fish on EVERY Friday? Sometimes it was cheese pizza or grilled cheese sandwiches (or here in the Southwest, cheese enchiladas or bean burritos!), but never meat on ANY Friday. Now I regularly see restaurant ads announcing “LENTEN SPECIALS” on Fridays.

I always feel sad that my work schedule (2 a.m. to 10 a.m.) prevents me from attending Mass and receiving ashes on Ash Wednesday… what’s even sadder is how few people I saw with ashes on their foreheads today. Makes me want to “wear the badge” even more!
 
Remember back in the olden days (about 30+ years ago) when public schools regularly served fish on EVERY Friday? Sometimes it was cheese pizza or grilled cheese sandwiches (or here in the Southwest, cheese enchiladas or bean burritos!), but never meat on ANY Friday. Now I regularly see restaurant ads announcing “LENTEN SPECIALS” on Fridays.

I always feel sad that my work schedule (2 a.m. to 10 a.m.) prevents me from attending Mass and receiving ashes on Ash Wednesday… what’s even sadder is how few people I saw with ashes on their foreheads today. Makes me want to “wear the badge” even more!
*Yes! And you know, my kids would tell me that in Pgh, the school cafeteria always had a Lent special…but not here in Florida…my son said it’s as though he’s the only one not eating meat on Fridays when he is among his friends at school. :o Maybe I should make a suggestion this year to the school’s food director?

Yes/No?*
 
Remember back in the olden days (about 30+ years ago) when public schools regularly served fish on EVERY Friday? Sometimes it was cheese pizza or grilled cheese sandwiches (or here in the Southwest, cheese enchiladas or bean burritos!), but never meat on ANY Friday. Now I regularly see restaurant ads announcing “LENTEN SPECIALS” on Fridays.

I always feel sad that my work schedule (2 a.m. to 10 a.m.) prevents me from attending Mass and receiving ashes on Ash Wednesday… what’s even sadder is how few people I saw with ashes on their foreheads today. Makes me want to “wear the badge” even more!
I am in the same boat. I hoped to go on my lunch break but had to work through lunch, and dinner it turned out. I wasnt able to leave work until after 9:00 PM. Next year I need to request Ash Wednesday off but I wasnt in a position to do so this year.

Sincerely,

Maria1212
 
I am in the same boat. I hoped to go on my lunch break but had to work through lunch, and dinner it turned out. I wasnt able to leave work until after 9:00 PM. Next year I need to request Ash Wednesday off but I wasnt in a position to do so this year.

Sincerely,

Maria1212
That is a good idea…I take Good Friday and the day after Easter off…I think that Ash Wed would be another good day to request off, as well…I’m sorry you didn’t get the time off you needed today. 😦
 
That is a good idea…I take Good Friday and the day after Easter off…I think that Ash Wed would be another good day to request off, as well…I’m sorry you didn’t get the time off you needed today. 😦
Thanks. I am going to go pray the rosary to help make up for it! I need the peace it will bring. Not to mention the grace! I would like to request Good Friday off but have had to take a lot of sick days so don`t feel like I am in a position to do so. But I feel like I am putting work before God so it is a struggle. In this economy, I know I am very lucky to have a job!
 
I got this exact line from someone yesterday at Walmart. It turns out he moved to America from India and was really curious about our customs. I got into a 10 minute conversation in the automotive section about what Lent, Ash Wednesday, and Easter are. I guess they don’t have many Catholics in India. He thought it was great that all the major religions have a penitential season (he was well aware of Muslim and Hindu customs). Apparently, the Hindu also have a custom of putting ashes on their forehead.

The conversation ended in an offer to interview for his company, but I wasn’t interested in leaving my current job. It was pretty cool to explain the faith to someone who knows hardly anything about Christianity since it doesn’t happen often for me.
 
One of the local news anchors had ashes on his forehead during the evening news last night. I thought that was pretty neat.
 
One of the local news anchors had ashes on his forehead during the evening news last night. I thought that was pretty neat.
Wow! I didn’t think they would let someone go on tv with that (not because of any anti-catholic bias)-just because I didn’t think many other people, non-catholics in particular knew what they were.

That is so neat!
 
I bet! One thing I miss about Pittsburgh (Lily …you need to check out Rocky’s fish sandwiches in Carnegie!) are the various restaurants/bars that sold the most delicious cod fish sandwiches during Lent. Can’t find any place around here in Florida that can match 'em! 😉
Thanks for the tip! I will! 🙂 There is a pub on the South Side that sells Ginormous cod fillets on Fridays…it just feels not like fasting when you have a huge beer battered fish on your plate…🙂
 
*Yes! And you know, my kids would tell me that in Pgh, the school cafeteria always had a Lent special…but not here in Florida…my son said it’s as though he’s the only one not eating meat on Fridays when he is among his friends at school. :o Maybe I should make a suggestion this year to the school’s food director?

Yes/No?*
You should! Our bishop in my hometown reinstated the no fish any Friday policy, and all the Catholic school cafeterias followed along!
 
Last year my husband and I went out to lunch on Ash Wednesday. He had already received his ashes - I hadn’t yet (I was going that evening). Our waiter REFUSED to look at my husband in the eye… he only looked at me and only asked me questions… it was the most awkward lunch ever! 😛
We still go to this restaurant all the time… and we have affectionately nicknamed this waiter “Ash Boy”… 😃
 
OK, this is not directly related to ashes on the forehead, but I have to share … it’s too funny. In his homily yesterday, the priest was talking about sacrificing for Lent, and he said, “We all have things we can give up … for instance, children…”

:eek:

He proceeded to address the children and tell them things that they could give up for Lent, but by the time everyone understood what he meant, we were all laughing hysterically. 😃

(BTW he is very pro-life and pro-family - it was totally unintentional phrasing!)
 
Wow! I didn’t think they would let someone go on tv with that (not because of any anti-catholic bias)-just because I didn’t think many other people, non-catholics in particular knew what they were.

That is so neat!
I started a thread on this, but I’ll put it here too.

It is sad that the commentators did not immediately know that those were ashes on Biden’s forehead.

Ash Wednesday Mark on Biden’s Head Puzzles British TV Host
breitbart.tv/ash-wednesday-mark-on-bidens-head-puzzles-british-tv-host/
 
With all the comments about Lenten Specials, fish sandwiches, etc, I have to ask a question. Is anyone else bugged that “Red Lobster” has a Lobster Fest during Lent? It just seems so wrong to me that anyone would go have lobster during Lent and they have this big Lobster Fest to try to get people through the doors. I love lobster and would like to see a Lobster Fest ANY other time of the year, but they have it during Lent all the time. It really bugs me, since I feel too guilty to eat there during Lent.:mad:

I guess I should just continue to do what my mother always suggested: “Offer it up.”
 
Jack in the Box is doing a fish sandwich deal for Lent. I’m not big on fast food, but it’s pretty cool that some chains still have Lenten special promotions.
Wendy’s around here only has fish during Lent. But I prefer McFishburgers myself.
One of the local news anchors had ashes on his forehead during the evening news last night. I thought that was pretty neat.
I have not seen that in AGES! Love that!! 👍

~Liza
 
With all the comments about Lenten Specials, fish sandwiches, etc, I have to ask a question. Is anyone else bugged that “Red Lobster” has a Lobster Fest during Lent? It just seems so wrong to me that anyone would go have lobster during Lent and they have this big Lobster Fest to try to get people through the doors. I love lobster and would like to see a Lobster Fest ANY other time of the year, but they have it during Lent all the time. It really bugs me, since I feel too guilty to eat there during Lent.:mad:

I guess I should just continue to do what my mother always suggested: “Offer it up.”
Just came across this article. The author might feel the same way that I do about Lenten meals at Red Lobster.

"Something Fishy

Catholics, the world over, are in the midst of the Lenten season. Lent, of course, means many things to many people. For some, it is a time of preparation. For others, it is about sacrifice. For me, Lent has always meant, first and foremost, fish on Fridays. "…

Entire article here: spectator.org/archives/2010/02/26/something-fishy
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top