Young people and Lady Gaga

  • Thread starter Thread starter jason3477
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
As a Catholic and believer in Jesus why would you want to listen to music that does not support your Catholic belief system or love of Jesus,? Lady Gaga and most secular/radio/.top 40 music is immoral music. She is contributing to the sexualization and pornification of young children, teen’s and adult’s through the mediums of pop music and music videos, hell I would not let my kid’s alone with someone with her world view and morals let alone let them listen to her. She promotes sex,. homosexuality, transgenderism ,materialism and the occult. Lady Gaga is just another lost soul that has sold, and I wish so called Catholics and Christians would get serious about what the listen to or watch.
I guess I’m a “so called Catholic” then b/c I think she’s a lost soul, but talented.
 
I am 33 and I like her. Her music is fun and interesting and actually different from the rest of the commercialized popular music that is out there. Nowadays there is so little actual musical creativity that it is refreshing to hear her stuff. Of course she is not a perfect Christian but that is no reason to totally discount her music. We would not be able to experience anything in this world, especially not in the arts, if we waited for perfect Christian themes to present themselves. That is what makes art so interesting.
 
As a Catholic and believer in Jesus why would you want to listen to music that does not support your Catholic belief system or love of Jesus,? Lady Gaga and most secular/radio/.top 40 music is immoral music. She is contributing to the sexualization and pornification of young children, teen’s and adult’s through the mediums of pop music and music videos, hell I would not let my kid’s alone with someone with her world view and morals let alone let them listen to her. She promotes sex,. homosexuality, transgenderism ,materialism and the occult. Lady Gaga is just another lost soul that has sold, and I wish so called Catholics and Christians would get serious about what the listen to or watch.
For the entertainment value, usually just because a few of her songs are “catchy” but it doesn’t go any further than that. I don’t “police” every single thing I watch or my family watches. If something is controversial, or my daughter wants to listen to a questionable artist, I’ve found its more of an opportunity to discuss our values or our faith rather than banning the stuff all together. If anything, the occasional song by the questionable artist, or media, has lead to many, many discussions about how she’s growing up, her peers, and other issues that we probably wouldn’t have discussed if she was never allowed to listen to people like Lady GaGa.
 
It should come as no surprise that artists brought up Catholic will use Catholic references in their art.

Good art should be thought provoking, even if it needs to be jarring in order to do so.

Here’s the work of another Catholic artist, Salvador Dali…

 
There is a huge difference between though provoking and just plan offensive and insulting to followers of Jesus. There is nothing original or creative about her or her music really, same old dumb down music market to pre-teen’s. How any thinking Christian adult can listen to her or defend her is beyond me. she embodies every thing that is sick and wrong in the secular society. What fellowship can we as Christians have with darkness, and this is darkness…Typical lukewarm Catholics.
 
I should have said that unlike Madonna, Lady Gaga writes all her music.

Funny. Madonna has been described as a rip off of Marilyn Monroe that is tacky & cheap!

😛
Yeah and born this way is so original. Sounds a lot like rip off the Madonna song Express yourself. and how can Madonna be a rip off of Marilyn?? Because the both did movies… I wouldn’t put them in the same category. One song and having the nickname material girl is not ripping off

Listen she has talent i think she studied at juliard and you saw that at the Grammys with her duet with elton John but she isn’t the greatest arist every. She sings a vocal range that most people could sing like Britney before her, madonna before her and the list could go on. Her problem will be sustainability. This latest album isn’t doing that well. Dropped in sales and hasn’t had huge hits like poker face etc. This last album was rushed and not nearly as good as the last. She tries to hard to push the envelope. Her judas video is horrible. Some weird scene, her modeling some clothes and then a random dance scene.

Looking back at some of mad
 
Sorry for the double reply. Trying to still figure out this iPad…

As I was saying looking back on Madonna body of work especially papa don’t preach or like a prayer or even her erotic video she pushed the envelope and brought issue to the for front like being a single unwed mother, the prejudice of having a black man automatically being assumed to be her attacker and sexuality.

Gaga video don’t really touch on that. She is embraced by the gay community and those who express themselves in different fashions but it’s not in the same way. Maybe our society just can’t be shocked anymore. Or maybe it’s because us old folks in our early 30 have learned artist come and go and not to get to attached because they will always disappoint.
 
Personally I can’t explain any opinion on why people have a ‘fascination’ with her. I’ve never had any interest in pop culture in that regard, I’ve always thought it a waste of my brain capacity to be fascinated with celebrities. 😛 Though I agree with the previous posts about part of the attraction being because she’s ‘different’ etc. I am not a fan but I’ll admit there are certain songs from her first album that I do have on my music collection. Mostly for the beat.
I did read an article once online about her having admitted to using cocaine and/or other substances either in the past or present. While I can’t say I was completely surprised, It certainly explains a lot. (The bigger surprise was that she actually admitted it.)
In short she’s a talented person, but such a lost soul with so many emotional issues…
 
Personally I can’t explain any opinion on why people have a ‘fascination’ with her. I’ve never had any interest in pop culture in that regard, I’ve always thought it a waste of my brain capacity to be fascinated with celebrities. 😛 Though I agree with the previous posts about part of the attraction being because she’s ‘different’ etc. I am not a fan but I’ll admit there are certain songs from her first album that I do have on my music collection. Mostly for the beat.
I did read an article once online about her having admitted to using cocaine and/or other substances either in the past or present. While I can’t say I was completely surprised, It certainly explains a lot. (The bigger surprise was that she actually admitted it.)
In short she’s a talented person, but such a lost soul with so many emotional issues…
In that interview she also told teenagers to say no to drugs and told girls to say no to sex if they are not ready and to wait as long as possible to have sex. She ain’t all that bad.

I am a fan. I think her music is great and she’s very talented. Many agree with me b/c she’s an international superstar.

Born this Way was a huge hit!!! I wuoldn’t say she’s gone down hill at all 🤷
 
BTW, if you read the lyrics to “Judas”, it is about how she wants to have a relationship with God, but Judas is a part of herself and the world that pulls her away from him. It isn’t about liking the real Judas.
Amen. Finally a voice of reason.
 
I can’t stand Lady Gaga’s music, I find her music to be against my beliefs and her dancing is extremely provocative! Every time I see her performing I’m shocked. My 14 year old sister was the first person I know who pointed out that she’s not a role model for her!

Infact it was the only artist that I actually banned the DJ at our wedding from playing!

Not what I want to be listening to, but there are many artists I try not to listen too!
 
In that interview she also told teenagers to say no to drugs and told girls to say no to sex if they are not ready and to wait as long as possible to have sex. She ain’t all that bad.

I am a fan. I think her music is great and she’s very talented. Many agree with me b/c she’s an international superstar.

Born this Way was a huge hit!!! I wuoldn’t say she’s gone down hill at all 🤷
There is nothing wrong with liking someone’s music as i like alot of music from those whose behavior i disagree with. Lady Gaga is the perfect example of this, you may like her music but her behavior is certainly at odd’s with any right moral person never-mind Catholic
 
Lady Gaga just tweeted a NAKED photo of herself… yeah. Great role model there.
 
I still say Elvis looks angelic next to Lady Gaga. Have you heard any of his gospel songs? A cathedral I know has his gospel cd’s on sale along with gregorian chants and other spiritual music in their gift shop.
QFT, and ditto for the likes of Johnny Cash too, who also did many gospel/religiously themed material.

I must admit that I USED to like Lady Gaga, but in recent times her image/music is all about shock value.
 
I still say Elvis looks angelic next to Lady Gaga. Have you heard any of his gospel songs? A cathedral I know has his gospel cd’s on sale along with gregorian chants and other spiritual music in their gift shop.
Whenever I think of Elvis, I always end up thinking, what if the talent scout wouldn’t have been (so) racist, and actually picked one of the black guys, instead of Elvis? I always wonder that, and how different American (and to an extent Western) history would have been if that had happened.
Fast forward 10 years and she’ll be wearing sensible, natural fabrics (apart from meat!) and promoting family values, home-baking and the importance of a solid education. She might be young and foolish - but she’s not daft:thumbsup: Whether or not she is fully aware that many people are actually influenced in a negative way because they don’t ‘get’ the joke is another matter: I am not so sure she is - or at least, she hasn’t fully appreciated the consequences because she isn’t mature enough to do so herself…
Yes, exactly! People need to realize that if we pray enough for Gaga, God just might answer our prayers and make her the next “Catholic Evangelizing Star.” Like, if she were to (very) slowly start to slide back into being an absolute, devout, Roman Catholic loyal to Rome, she could most likely pull most of her fans with her! THIS IS GENIUS! I will now dedicate a daily rosary to this!:D:thumbsup:👍
 
Born this Way was a huge hit!!! I wuoldn’t say she’s gone down hill at all 🤷
O rly?

Care to explain why her music makes me wanna put a power drill to my head?

I kid, I kid. 😛

In all honesty though, I just cannot make heads or tails of the woman (much in the same way I could never make heads or tails of Cher, Madonna, Christina Aguilera or any other girl she’s supposedly rips her style off from).

Ah well, whatever floats your musical boat. I’m not one to judge anyway (I’m a Nickelback fan if that says anything. :p)
 
For the entertainment value, usually just because a few of her songs are “catchy” but it doesn’t go any further than that. I don’t “police” every single thing I watch or my family watches. If something is controversial, or my daughter wants to listen to a questionable artist, I’ve found its more of an opportunity to discuss our values or our faith rather than banning the stuff all together. If anything, the occasional song by the questionable artist, or media, has lead to many, many discussions about how she’s growing up, her peers, and other issues that we probably wouldn’t have discussed if she was never allowed to listen to people like Lady GaGa.
I could have written this post…
I agree with you on many points…I have 3 kids, 18, 14, 12…and so many "questionable " things have brought about some good conversations that are so much more beneficial, I think, than banning something completely…
 
Yeah, I agree with that!!! And ever notice lately how the pop-singers always come in 2’s?

I mean right now it’s Lady Gaga and Katy Perry…

A few years back it was- Brittnay Spears and Christina Aguilera…

And now honestly I don’t listen to the radio that much… The only group that I like is Coldplay but they haven’t got too much new stuff. And I like Mexican/Spanish Music-I’m half Mexican lol…
I lilke metal myself but I’m in my early 40s. I remember stuff like acdc meant “anti-christ devil’s child” This gets bands exactly what they want…attention. And sometimes the church gets up in arms. And when I say church in this case I don’t just meant catholics but christianity at large. KISS was bad in the 70s-80s. and their lead singer is jewish. I think the church at-large (chrsitianity) gets a little easily offended sometimes. Just my 2 cents worth.

Bill
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top