I always appreciate this question.
As a working husband and father of two small children, I’m exhausted most of the time. My prayers tend to be to the point, often relying upon formal prayer because it’s true, reliable and I may not be able to put together a cogent thought for free-form prayer when I have time to pray (usually in traffic, between meetings, that brief period after all the chores are done and my take-home-work is finished until the youngest wakes up to eat or have a diaper changed).
I do not pray the rosary, not for lack of time but rather because I do not feel a devotion to Mary. I’d
like to begin praying the Jesus Rosary (same idea, but have septets of Jesus Prayer instead of decades of Hail Mary), and your question is as good a reason as any for me to begin.
I pray a triplet of the Our Father, Anima Christi, and Come Holy Spirit. This set of prayers allows me to focus on each Person of the Trinity individually. I’ve added some petitions to the Anima Christi for specific intentions, following advice of my pastor, and I’ve heard several versions of the Come Holy Spirit so that I’ve amended it as well for my own specific intentions. I pray this triplet three or four times a day, always in the morning to consecrate my day (often when I get to work), and always at night when my kids go to bed.
I often say small prayers of thanksgiving or asking for patience or understanding.
I always spend time on my knees praying for my family, right after my kids go to bed. This is where I feel like I need the most help and can learn the most from my Father about being a father.
I often read a few lines of Scripture, just to set my mind where it needs to be. I find great comfort in Scripture, and often great reproof when I’ve sinned. I used to keep a more formal schedule of Bible study but I just can’t right now. Or rather, I let other things get in the way.
You mentioned using silence in prayer - a wonderful idea. Sometimes when my mind is noisy, I calm it by repeating the psalm in my signature.
Yesterday at before mass started I watched this man praying, he had his eyes closed, a look of complete peace on his face and a smile… he was glowing! I want that too!!
Peace is truly found in surrender to the Lord.