Youth Mass

• Thread starter Thread starter livethegospel
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

livethegospel

Is it acceptable to have teens around the altar during the Consecration as well as the rest of the Congregation standing? Can the bishop allow this at a weekly “Youth” Mass?
Peace in Christ Jesus
livethegospel

No.
Redemptionis Sacramentum
114.] “At Sunday Masses in parishes, insofar as parishes are ‘Eucharistic communities’, it is customary to find different groups, movements, associations, and even the smaller religious communities present in the parish.”[202] While it is permissible that Mass should be celebrated for particular groups according to the norm of law,[203] these groups are nevertheless not exempt from the faithful observance of the liturgical norms.

Nobody can gather around the altar.
A bishop does not have the right to change the Mass.

Unfortunately, in many modern churches it is hard to determine where the nave ends and the sanctuary begins.

While I love how the Life Teen Masses bring so many youth to the Real Presence with great zeal, I have a problem with the teens being invited around the altar for the Consecration (and also the unusual and non-liturgical sending forth at the end of Mass). For that reason I don’t send my son to the Life Teen Masses at a neighboring parish, although all of his friends attend. I would rather he be a strong part of our regular parish Masses where, for the most part, rubrics are followed.

'thann

One of the big problems with Lifeteen is that it singles out a group, gives them perferential treatment, special music etc.
What happens when they have to attend regular Mass like everybody else?

When there is no clapping etc? When they have to obey the same rules as everybody else? Will they stay Catholic or go off to a megachurch with the praise and worship emotional expereince they are used to?

40.png
cmom:
One of the big problems with Lifeteen is that it singles out a group, gives them perferential treatment, special music etc.
Excellent point. Our parish has recently instituted a special “Liturgy of the Word” for children, so just before the first reading all of the children are paraded out of the church to hear watered-down readings and (probably) insipid commentary by a lay person. Then they all are paraded back in, sometimes interrupting the Mass. MAKES ME CRRRAZY!!!

Youth should attend regular Masses so they feel a part of the parish community.

'thann

One of the big problems with a spanish mass is that it singles out a group, gives them perferential treatement, special music, etc.
What happens when they have to attend an english mass like everybody else?

Well, hopefuly they are catechized well enough and they have a reverence and understanding of the mass that they don’t have to understand the language. However, a spanish mass would be preferred for those who spoke spanish. There is a spanish language culture that catholics need to reach out to!

Similiarly, there is a youth culture that we catholics need to reach out to. Music that speaks to them, praise that touches thier heart and makes this not the “church of my mom and dad” but “MY church.” Hopefully, they won’t have to attend a mass that doesn’t meet thier needs and speaks to their cultural background. However, if we catecize them and make them feel an personal “ownership” of the mass, the same reverence they have for the Eucharist and the Church at the Teen Mass they will have with every other mass. This has been absolutely true in my experiance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back