I’m inclined to agree. That kind of schedule puts too much on kids at a time when they need to be exploring lots of interests, talents, and hobbies. Something like that just strikes me as inappropriate.
The only one of your rules that I wouldn’t agree with is the 60 mile one. But that’s because I grew up in a rural area. If we couldn’t travel more than 60 miles none of our sports teams would have had competitors!
Although our daughters started figure skating when they were 3 and 5, they both did plenty of exploring and had lots of interests, talents, and hobbies. In fact, as a rule, figure skaters are usually quite well-rounded. Because they are limited in their free time, they have a tendency to make wise use of that time and cram in a lot of living. I think that’s true of kids who are involved in highly-competitive sports.
Our older daughter was a bookworm (read several books a week throughout school), took piano lessons, and above all else, was a member of several theater companies and ended up winning her high school theater award. She was also at the top of her high school class and earned twelve AP credits, which allowed her to graduate from college a semester early…
Our younger daughter took piano and violin lessons and eventually added voice lessons. She was in all her school plays. First-string varsity volleyball team in high school. Top scholar (33 on the ACT). Two summers of volunteering at MDA camp. She was also a volunteer figure skating coach throughout high school.
Both girls had a lot of friends, and usually had something going on every weekend with friends.
We were Protestant at the time, and both girls remained involved in our church in VBS (teaching), in clubs, and eventually in the youth group.
The experiences that our daughters and our family had in figure skating were and are absolutely priceless. Both girls earned the privilege of representing the United States in international competitions, and my younger daughter travelled to six countries for international and World competition. The skills that they acquired in figure skating were invaluable to them in all areas of their lives.
And they had fun! So much fun! To this day, they keep up with many of the skating friends that they made while they were tiny children. And we still try to attend competitions together; this year, Synchro Worlds is in Boston, and we are hoping to go as a family, or at least, as mother and two daughters. (Boston is kind of expensive for the entire family.)
Both girls still figure skate, even though they are now 26 and 29. The younger daughter has coached for ten years now.
In answer to the OP’s question, I would say that youth sports is excessive when it becomes a misery for the young athlete and for the family.
But I see absolutely nothing wrong and MUCH good when children and teenagers get involved in something and work very very hard to achieve the highest levels of that activity.
There are a lot of farm kids who spend many hours taking care of livestock in order to raise the prize steer or hog for the State Fair. When I was growing up, I practiced the piano 2-4 hours day after school–was that excessive? I say “no”–I am a good pianist today because I did that much practicing for so many years way back then.