Zombie Attack?

  • Thread starter Thread starter patmetz
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

patmetz

Guest
Admittedly, I am a big fan of the “zombie” movie genre. I find them very entertaining and creative. Also, I am a diehard Catholic. A friend recently showed me some verses in Revelation that refer in some way to life coming into the dead.
I realize Revelation is a very different animal in comparison to other biblical books and I don’t pretend to understand what St. John is talking about.

My question is simple: Is a zombie attack (such as those portrayed in current film) an actual possibility?

I have heard that Scott Hahn’s audiobook, ‘The End’, is an excellent interpretation of Revelation, but I wanted to check this forum for answers before I spent the time and money on it.
My apologies if this doesn’t belong in the “Scripture” section of the forum, I didn’t know where else to ask this question.
 
My question is simple: Is a zombie attack (such as those portrayed in current film) an actual possibility?
Sure, why not? Maybe sometime in the future a virus will be created that feeds on the fat of the living causing them to decay from the outside in, while at the same time providing them with enhanced strength and an insatiable desire for human flesh. Something like 28 days later meets resident evil.
 
Is it not referring to the resurrection of the dead?

“I believe in God, the Father Almighty, Creator of Heaven and earth;
and in Jesus Christ, His only Son Our Lord,
Who was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died, and was buried.
He descended into Hell; the third day He rose again from the dead;
He ascended into Heaven, and sitteth at the right hand of God, the Father almighty; from thence He shall come to judge the living and the dead.
I believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy Catholic Church, the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins, the **resurrection of the body **and life everlasting.
Amen.”
 
Yes, I am familiar with the ressurection of the body, but I have always understood that both the good and evil people will be ressurected and given new bodies. And how about Rev 9:4-6. Speaks of men being tormented by a plague for 5 months and seeking death but unable to find it?
 
Here’s the real question, if I am turned into a zombie do I still have a soul? Obviously, the possibility of a soul existing in a zombie would only occur if the zombie outbreak is caused by a virus and not the reanimation of a corpse (because the soul leaves the body at death). Thoughts?
 
My question is simple: Is a zombie attack (such as those portrayed in current film) an actual possibility?
Well, I’ve been known to say that in an infinite universe, all things are possible. But I rather hope the answer on this one is “no.”
 
My question is simple: Is a zombie attack (such as those portrayed in current film) an actual possibility?
Since your question is couched in the discussion of scripture, I’ll take you to mean to be asking - more precisely - is there any room in Catholic eschatology for a zombie attack as is depicted in current popular cinema?

No.

The resurrection of the dead has no correlation to the idea of half decayed corpses regaining mindless mobility. First, the resurrection will be a resurrection to judgement, the good to eternal life, the bad to eternal condemnation. There evidently won’t be any time for mulling or mauling around. *[pause for pun recognition] *So the most glaring difference is that the resurrection is moral - it deals with good and bad. In fact the resurrection is the goal of morality. As you can see by now, these ideas regarding morality based on imitation of Christ are totally absent from zombie flicks.

Peterk
 
Admittedly, I am a big fan of the “zombie” movie genre. I find them very entertaining and creative. Also, I am a diehard Catholic. A friend recently showed me some verses in Revelation that refer in some way to life coming into the dead.
I realize Revelation is a very different animal in comparison to other biblical books and I don’t pretend to understand what St. John is talking about.

My question is simple: Is a zombie attack (such as those portrayed in current film) an actual possibility?

I have heard that Scott Hahn’s audiobook, ‘The End’, is an excellent interpretation of Revelation, but I wanted to check this forum for answers before I spent the time and money on it.
My apologies if this doesn’t belong in the “Scripture” section of the forum, I didn’t know where else to ask this question.
Maybe your friend is refering to these verses

Revelation 11:9 And they of the people and kindreds and tongues and nations shall see their dead bodies three days and an half, and shall not suffer their dead bodies to be put in graves. 10 And they that dwell upon the earth shall rejoice over them, and make merry, and shall send gifts one to another; because these two prophets tormented them that dwelt on the earth. 11 And after three days and an half the Spirit of life from God entered into them, and they stood upon their feet; and great fear fell upon them which saw them.

These aren’t zombies though. The Spirit of God doesn’t make one a zombie.

Ever see a Haitian witchdoctor put a group of people into some kind of wierd voodoo-hypnotic state…that’s what I think of when I hear about zombies
 
Hmm. By definition, a zombie is a soul-less body (and a ghost is a body-less soul). Both are “horrible” (in the literal sense of that word) because they are unnatural - we are created body-and-soul. The event described in Revelation is a resurrection, which is a reuniting of the body and soul, so not a zombie thing.
 
Seriously, this garbage is the ‘Sacred Scripture’ section? Zombies?
What’s next are we gonna guess how old Spock is because in Daniel it mentions the “Ancient of Days” or how many previous lives Ang has lived because Christ said “…you must be born again.” !?
Moderator or Admin please lock this nonsense thread.
 
Lighten up. The OP simply wondered if the passage from Revelation could be connected with the mythology of zombies. How is that more or less “serious” than the infamous “angels dancing on the head of a pin” discussion?
 
These aren’t zombies though. The Spirit of God doesn’t make one a zombie.

Ever see a Haitian witchdoctor put a group of people into some kind of wierd voodoo-hypnotic state…that’s what I think of when I hear about zombies
Yes that makes sense. The spirit of God wouldn’t make zombies. Your witchdoctor/satanism idea I would also agree with, but I guess that isn’t really a scriptural question. Thanks for giving me a real answer.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top