1 Corinthians 15:31 I Die Daily

  • Thread starter Thread starter jerry_kelso
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Po18guy:
  1. I’ve already stated that apostolic succesion which started from Peter cannot be harmonized between history and the Bible and why from the scriptures.
Have you not then stated that the gates of hades have indeed prevailed against the Church? Jesus both appointed and sent Apostles forth. He chose them, knowing their hearts first. He gave them the authority to appoint successors, and they did. Remember, there was no “bible” and no NT scripture at all. Only OT scrolls in the temples and synagogues. How was the Gospel spread?

In all matters pertaining to scripture, 2 Peter 1:20 is the foundational rule. As well, who is exempt from Peter’s admonition in 2 Peter 3:16? None of us. Especially in the case of Paul’s writing. Scripture, interpreted apart from the Church, can lead astray. Satan mis-interpreted scripture to Christ in his failed temptation, no? Look at Acts 8:37 and Nehemiah 8:8. Authoritative interpretation is needed for proper understanding of scripture.

It does appear that you have decided, by your own authority, what the meaning of “die daily” is. What authority have you been given, other than a bible? I have several, but claim no such authority.
  1. I understand about hermeneutics.
Apart from the Church, all leads to error. That is the Catholic stance.
  1. I understand the difference between eyewitness and revelation by one who was not an eyewitness.
Good. This is evidence of Apostolic tradition producing scripture.
4, I believe in apostolic doctrinal teaching and authority. You’re not wrong in the principle of the church being apostolic by succession but, in reality it doesn’t measure up with the word of God.
By whose measure? You have identified the crux of the matter - personal opinion versus Church declaration. Successors were appointed in Acts (i.e. Matthias for Judas), using scripture and the authority they received from Jesus to do this.
  1. There were at least 20 or more true apostles in the new testament. In revelation the church of Ephesus was commended for trying those who said they were apostles and were not.
But, this analogy is the same as claiming that, since their are false gods, that there cannot be a true God, no? Chaff does not deny the wheat, but must be separated from it.
  1. I made this post to not only see if anybody could interpret it right to show why it is important to get it right. All I can say is that they were much closer than most protestants but, still there was no detailed contextual thought. Yes, I agree some scriptures are not gonna make or break our salvation. There are other scriptures that wrongly interpreted will affect our salvation. You say catholic teacing believes in the true intended meaning but they are not sure what it is for I Die Daily or else it don’t really matter if you rock the boat and spiritualize it. This is not rightly dividing the word and this is why we can’t say the same thing. And trust me if one that believes in the true intended meaning can’t interpret a simple passage like this do you think I can trust him to interpret my doctrine? Maybe or maybe not.
“I” see a whole lot of “I” in your responses. A Catholic response must refer to the Church in all cases, for we have no individual authority to interpret scripture, outside of its plain meaning.
  1. As far as infallibility the perception is that infallibility covers all scripture.
A simple mis-perception.
Most likely it is percieved this way because of the way believers outside of catholics are seemingly belittled like than cannot understand anything about scripture at all. I finally had to say that the only thing they might or could be infallible about were the main doctines of the church. Then they started agreeing with me.
Disagreement made the concept of a Church council necessary. But, in each case, some are right and some are wrong. God’s truth is not a democracy, so someone must have authority on earth to decide for all time.
8.Flexibility does not take precedence over a specific context especially to appeal to people.
Certainly not! That is why it must remain within context. Context is paramount.

I wish you would reveal your faith tradition. You know ours.

Christ’s peace be with you.
 
Have you not then stated that the gates of hades have indeed prevailed against the Church? Jesus both appointed and sent Apostles forth. He chose them, knowing their hearts first. He gave them the authority to appoint successors, and they did. Remember, there was no “bible” and no NT scripture at all. Only OT scrolls in the temples and synagogues. How was the Gospel spread?

In all matters pertaining to scripture, 2 Peter 1:20 is the foundational rule. As well, who is exempt from Peter’s admonition in 2 Peter 3:16? None of us. Especially in the case of Paul’s writing. Scripture, interpreted apart from the Church, can lead astray. Satan mis-interpreted scripture to Christ in his failed temptation, no? Look at Acts 8:37 and Nehemiah 8:8. Authoritative interpretation is needed for proper understanding of scripture.

It does appear that you have decided, by your own authority, what the meaning of “die daily” is. What authority have you been given, other than a bible? I have several, but claim no such authority.

Apart from the Church, all leads to error. That is the Catholic stance.
Good. This is evidence of Apostolic tradition producing scripture.
By whose measure? You have identified the crux of the matter - personal opinion versus Church declaration. Successors were appointed in Acts (i.e. Matthias for Judas), using scripture and the authority they received from Jesus to do this.
But, this analogy is the same as claiming that, since their are false gods, that there cannot be a true God, no? Chaff does not deny the wheat, but must be separated from it.
“I” see a whole lot of “I” in your responses. A Catholic response must refer to the Church in all cases, for we have no individual authority to interpret scripture, outside of its plain meaning.
A simple mis-perception. Disagreement made the concept of a Church council necessary. But, in each case, some are right and some are wrong. God’s truth is not a democracy, so someone must have authority on earth to decide for all time.
Certainly not! That is why it must remain within context. Context is paramount.

I wish you would reveal your faith tradition. You know ours.

Christ’s peace be with you.
PO18guy: 1. There is no scriptural proof for apostolic succession started by Peter. The only succession of any kind is the one who has the correct message. I don’t claim to be an apostle but I’ve been given the apostles doctrine and understand it.
2.Peter was given the keys to the kingdom of heaven. The kingdom of heaven is not the church.
3 I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again the church is the body of Christ which are believers who are saved by the blood of jesus; not some denomination. Which the catholic church really is as much as a protestant. The truth is you cannot produce evidence from the Bible for your beliefs.
3. There’s not much difference in the principles of what we believe about apostolic authority but who is the real apostolic church. This is why the catholic church has to show apostolic succession through Peter. Peter was the apostle to the circumcision which were jews and the uncircumcised were the gentiles which Paul went after.
Give sciptural proof that Peter was the apostle to the roman church and prove what the kingdom of heaven is instead of relying on men’s traditions… God Bless, Jerry Kelso
 
PO18guy: 1. There is no scriptural proof for apostolic succession started by Peter. The only succession of any kind is the one who has the correct message. I don’t claim to be an apostle but I’ve been given the apostles doctrine and understand it.
2.Peter was given the keys to the kingdom of heaven. The kingdom of heaven is not the church.
3 I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again the church is the body of Christ which are believers who are saved by the blood of jesus; not some denomination. Which the catholic church really is as much as a protestant. The truth is you cannot produce evidence from the Bible for your beliefs.
3. There’s not much difference in the principles of what we believe about apostolic authority but who is the real apostolic church. This is why the catholic church has to show apostolic succession through Peter. Peter was the apostle to the circumcision which were jews and the uncircumcised were the gentiles which Paul went after.
Give sciptural proof that Peter was the apostle to the roman church and prove what the kingdom of heaven is instead of relying on men’s traditions… God Bless, Jerry Kelso
jerry, is Christ God?
 
Excellent. The best foundation there is. Since we don’t know your doctrines, we must begin at the beginning.
Po18guy: In Romans 7 when Paul said he did the things he didn’t want to do etc; was he speaking under the old covenant or the new covenant? And do you know that the kingdom of heaven is not the church? God Bless! Jerry Kelso
 
Po18guy: In Romans 7 when Paul said he did the things he didn’t want to do etc; was he speaking under the old covenant or the new covenant? And do you know that the kingdom of heaven is not the church? God Bless! Jerry Kelso
I will answer if you tell me the proper interpretation of John 6:53-57.
 
I will answer if you tell me the proper interpretation of John 6:53-57.
Po18guy, I will give you this brief answer and then you must give a brief view of the questions I asked about Romans 7 and the kingdom of heaven is.
John 6:53-57:1. This is a prophecy of Jesus cruxifixion. This is the key to eternal life; if you eat Christ flesh and drink his blood you will have eternal life. If you don’t do this you wonr’t have eternal life. It also signifies us abiding in him and he in us and that the father sent him and as the son lives by the father, we must live by the son. God Bless Jerry Kelso
 
Po18guy, I will give you this brief answer and then you must give a brief view of the questions I asked about Romans 7 and the kingdom of heaven is.
John 6:53-57:1. This is a prophecy of Jesus cruxifixion. This is the key to eternal life; if you eat Christ flesh and drink his blood you will have eternal life. If you don’t do this you wonr’t have eternal life. It also signifies us abiding in him and he in us and that the father sent him and as the son lives by the father, we must live by the son. God Bless Jerry Kelso
But, how do Christ’s Body and Blood manifest themselves to us? How are you and I to obey our Lord’s command in John 6?

Jerry, you are harder to swat than a mosquito! In focusing on Romans, the most theologically complex and difficult book in the NT, you allow yourself great wiggle room in your private interpretation. It can easily be twisted to mean anything to everyone and all claim to be correct. Before trying to interpret Romans, one should first read and reflect on 2 Peter 3:16, shouldn’t they?
 
But, how do Christ’s Body and Blood manifest themselves to us? How are you and I to obey our Lord’s command in John 6?

Jerry, you are harder to swat than a mosquito! In focusing on Romans, the most theologically complex and difficult book in the NT, you allow yourself great wiggle room in your private interpretation. It can easily be twisted to mean anything to everyone and all claim to be correct. Before trying to interpret Romans, one should first read and reflect on 2 Peter 3:16, shouldn’t they?
Pitcharan: I know where you’re going with this but, you didn’t give me a brief view of the kingdom of heaven and romans 7. Do this and I’ll be glad to go further. God Bless! Jerry Kelso
 
Pitcharan: I know where you’re going with this but, you didn’t give me a brief view of the kingdom of heaven and romans 7. Do this and I’ll be glad to go further. God Bless! Jerry Kelso
I’m an orthodox Roman Catholic. I wish I knew where the !#$%& (heck) you were coming from!

I can only tell you what has been settled for 1,977 years: The Kingdom begins on this earth, in the Body of Christ, of which you are a member through your faith and (I hope) baptism. The Kingdom was announced by Gabriel to Mary, then confirmed by our Lord when he spoke directly of it as recorded in Matthew 12:28.

We are to abide in Him and He will abide in us (John 6:56, 15:4-9) and nothing can separate us from the love of God (Romans 8:38-39). Even though you disagree, this is known as the Church militant. There is also the Church suffering, in purgatory, as well as the Church triumphant - the Saints in heaven. So, the Kingdom began among us on this earth, in the finite, and continues to the infinite in heaven.

Disagree away!
 
Pitcharan and po18guy: Luke records Jesus saying; I come to seek and save that which was lost. What two things were lost and when were they originally lost? God Bless! Jerry Kelso
 
(1Co 15:31 RSV) I protest, brethren, by my pride in you which I have in Christ Jesus our Lord, I die every day!

Here is what the Catholic Commentary on Holy Scripture says:
Catholic Commentary on Holy Scripture:
30-32 Paul seems to be dealing with a teaching that dead Christians had perished.
30. Why do we (the Apostles) risk death, if our only hope of immortality is to remain alive till Christ comes?
31. Apparently when Paul was at Corinth, in frequent danger and bodily weakness, some Corinthians had said of him: ‘He dies daily’. Paul now reminds them of these admiring words. ‘I die daily—1 call to witness your own boast, which I have to my credit, thanks to Christ Jesus’.Cf.2Co_4:11-12.
 
I’m an orthodox Roman Catholic. I wish I knew where the !#$%& (heck) you were coming from!

I can only tell you what has been settled for 1,977 years: The Kingdom begins on this earth, in the Body of Christ, of which you are a member through your faith and (I hope) baptism. The Kingdom was announced by Gabriel to Mary, then confirmed by our Lord when he spoke directly of it as recorded in Matthew 12:28.

We are to abide in Him and He will abide in us (John 6:56, 15:4-9) and nothing can separate us from the love of God (Romans 8:38-39). Even though you disagree, this is known as the Church militant. There is also the Church suffering, in purgatory, as well as the Church triumphant - the Saints in heaven. So, the Kingdom began among us on this earth, in the finite, and continues to the infinite in heaven.

Disagree away!
Po18guy: I believe it’s time to start a new post on the kingdom of Heaven and the kingdom of God.
God bless! Jerry Kelso
 
I’m an orthodox Roman Catholic. I wish I knew where the !#$%& (heck) you were coming from!

I can only tell you what has been settled for 1,977 years: The Kingdom begins on this earth, in the Body of Christ, of which you are a member through your faith and (I hope) baptism. The Kingdom was announced by Gabriel to Mary, then confirmed by our Lord when he spoke directly of it as recorded in Matthew 12:28.

We are to abide in Him and He will abide in us (John 6:56, 15:4-9) and nothing can separate us from the love of God (Romans 8:38-39). Even though you disagree, this is known as the Church militant. There is also the Church suffering, in purgatory, as well as the Church triumphant - the Saints in heaven. So, the Kingdom began among us on this earth, in the finite, and continues to the infinite in heaven.

Disagree away!
Po18guy: The Kingdom of Heaven and the Kingdom of God was way before 1977 years ago. Also, gabriel never announced the Kingdom to mary. The first mention of the Kingdom of Heaven message was from John the baptist who was the forerunner of Christ. Jews did understand the Kingdom of Heaven. There is no scripture that says the church is suffering in purgatory for hell is a place for the devil and his angels and unbelievers. What you’ve come up with is incorrect and insufficient evidence for this subject and do not understand bibical history. I’ve started the new post on the Kingdom of Heaven and the Kingdom of God. See you there! God Bless! Jerry Kelso
 
Po18guy: The Kingdom of Heaven and the Kingdom of God was way before 1977 years ago.
You will have to excuse me. I was speaking of the new, final and everlasting covenant.
Also, gabriel never announced the Kingdom to mary. The first mention of the Kingdom of Heaven message was from John the baptist who was the forerunner of Christ.
Actually, King David, in Psalm 45 seems to mention it first.
Jews did understand the Kingdom of Heaven.
David certainly seems to have had a grasp upon the concept.
There is no scripture that says the church is suffering in purgatory for hell is a place for the devil and his angels and unbelievers.
You assume that the bible is intended as the sole rule of faith. The Catholic Church, whose God inspired, and whose members wrote, canonized and gave the bible to the world, does not believe this. Before you criticize something - anything, shouldn’t you know a little about it?
What you’ve come up with is incorrect and insufficient evidence for this subject and do not understand bibical history.
I did not “come up” with my private version of anything. I trust the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church, founded by Jesus Christ on His choice Peter, the rock. Nearly all that you have posted here appears to be the result of private interpretation of scripture, which is prohibited by scripture!
 
You will have to excuse me. I was speaking of the new, final and everlasting covenant.Actually, King David, in Psalm 45 seems to mention it first.David certainly seems to have had a grasp upon the concept.You assume that the bible is intended as the sole rule of faith. The Catholic Church, whose God inspired, and whose members wrote, canonized and gave the bible to the world, does not believe this. Before you criticize something - anything, shouldn’t you know a little about it?I did not “come up” with my private version of anything. I trust the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church, founded by Jesus Christ on His choice Peter, the rock. Nearly all that you have posted here appears to be the result of private interpretation of scripture, which is prohibited by scripture!
Po18guy,
  1. It doesn’t really deal with the new covenant or the church even though it has a connection.
  2. Psalm 45 says nothing about Mary receiving the announcement of the Kingdom.
  3. I’ve said before that the Kingdom of Heaven has to do do with the Davidic covenant.
  4. I’ve already been over the apostolic authority and I have received the apostle’s doctrine so I do not have a private interpretation.
  5. Why is it everytime you don’t have an answer you hide behind the mantra that the catholic church as the only right doctrine.
  6. How can you tell me about what I believe according to scripture is prohibited by scripture when you can’t show any scriptural proof? Be fair!
  7. If you want to pursue this subject then go to the new post on the Kingdom Of Heaven and the kingdom of God. God bless! Jerry Kelso
 
Po18guy,
  1. It doesn’t really deal with the new covenant or the church even though it has a connection.
Since Jesus Christ is the “Way, the Truth and the Life” (John 14:6), He is what I am concerned with. The Kingdom of heaven is attained by those who: "believe and are baptized (Mark 16:16;, those who “Deny self, take up their cross daily, then follow me” (Luke 9:23); those who “eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life and I will raise him up on the last day” (John 6:54) and those “who persevere(s) to the end will be saved” (Matthew 10:22). Shouldn’t you focus more on this?
  1. Psalm 45 says nothing about Mary receiving the announcement of the Kingdom.
Didn’t say it did. It shows that King David was aware of the Kingdom.
  1. I’ve said before that the Kingdom of Heaven has to do do with the Davidic covenant.
But, the covenant with David does not save us. It points to a better, everlasting covenant. You and I are under that covenant.
  1. I’ve already been over the apostolic authority and I have received the apostle’s doctrine so I do not have a private interpretation.
Denial will only plunge one into heresy by the leading of a passing spirit. Make no mistake: we are lead by spirits. The Holy Spirit unites. The demon divides.
  1. Why is it everytime you don’t have an answer you hide behind the mantra that the catholic church as the only right doctrine.
It only sounds like a mantra to those who have been lead astray. I am obedient to the Church which Christ founded for our salvation. My ego leads me astray, so I do not rely on it to interpret the bible. I rely on the Church which gave us the bible to interpret, just as the Hebrews relied on Ezra to interpret for them (Nehemiah 8:8).

As to your seeming disdain for Christ’s Church, I remind you only that He founded a Church, not a bible. The bible is part of the Church, and a blessed product of that Church, but it is neither the Church, nor is it complete. You have been mislead. (Matthew 16:18, Matthew 18:17, Acts 8:1-3, 1 Timothy 3:!5).
  1. How can you tell me about what I believe according to scripture is prohibited by scripture when you can’t show any scriptural proof? Be fair!
The bible tells you that scripture needs authoritative interpretation (Nehemiah 8:8; Acts 8:27-31, 2 Peter 1:20, 2 Peter 3:16). Have you made yourself an authority? I rely on the authority of the Church that Christ founded for our salvation. Those outside of her have founded a church on the sand of the ego, twisting scripture to suit them. I pray for them.
  1. If you want to pursue this subject then go to the new post on the Kingdom Of Heaven and the kingdom of God. God bless! Jerry Kelso
Thanks for the invite, but my limited time is better spent appealing to the Holy Spirit to lead you to the fulness of truth.
 
Since Jesus Christ is the “Way, the Truth and the Life” (John 14:6), He is what I am concerned with. The Kingdom of heaven is attained by those who: "believe and are baptized (Mark 16:16;, those who “Deny self, take up their cross daily, then follow me” (Luke 9:23); those who “eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life and I will raise him up on the last day” (John 6:54) and those “who persevere(s) to the end will be saved” (Matthew 10:22). Shouldn’t you focus more on this?
Didn’t say it did. It shows that King David was aware of the Kingdom.
But, the covenant with David does not save us. It points to a better, everlasting covenant. You and I are under that covenant.
Denial will only plunge one into heresy by the leading of a passing spirit. Make no mistake: we are lead by spirits. The Holy Spirit unites. The demon divides.
It only sounds like a mantra to those who have been lead astray. I am obedient to the Church which Christ founded for our salvation. My ego leads me astray, so I do not rely on it to interpret the bible. I rely on the Church which gave us the bible to interpret, just as the Hebrews relied on Ezra to interpret for them (Nehemiah 8:8).

As to your seeming disdain for Christ’s Church, I remind you only that He founded a Church, not a bible. The bible is part of the Church, and a blessed product of that Church, but it is neither the Church, nor is it complete. You have been mislead. (Matthew 16:18, Matthew 18:17, Acts 8:1-3, 1 Timothy 3:!5).
The bible tells you that scripture needs authoritative interpretation (Nehemiah 8:8; Acts 8:27-31, 2 Peter 1:20, 2 Peter 3:16). Have you made yourself an authority? I rely on the authority of the Church that Christ founded for our salvation. Those outside of her have founded a church on the sand of the ego, twisting scripture to suit them. I pray for them.
Thanks for the invite, but my limited time is better spent appealing to the Holy Spirit to lead you to the fulness of truth.
Po18guy, I never questioned you about whether you were concerned about Christ or not. I am concerned about Christ; after all I’m a believer in Christ.
We’re supposed to be having a discussion about a subject from the bible and all you want to do hide behind the church because you don’t understand the bible or your churches teachings because you can’t give no facts. And then to say you don’t have time to discuss it further shows that you most likely have no answers. Why can’t you be honest when you don’t know something; I would. God Bless! Jerry Kelso
 
Po18guy, I never questioned you about whether you were concerned about Christ or not. I am concerned about Christ; after all I’m a believer in Christ.
We’re supposed to be having a discussion about a subject from the bible and all you want to do hide behind the church because you don’t understand the bible or your churches teachings because you can’t give no facts. And then to say you don’t have time to discuss it further shows that you most likely have no answers. Why can’t you be honest when you don’t know something; I would. God Bless! Jerry Kelso
The only acceptable answer I could have given is yours, and you wouldn’t tell us what it was. :confused:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top