So let’s see: Based on some of the opinions in this thread, my bishop is in grave error and giving scandal when, at the end of his annual Christmas Eve children’s Mass, he talks about Santa and distributes chocolate lollipops molded in the image of Santa. Do I have that right?
No, you don’t have it right.
It’s one thing to “play” and “pretend.”
It’s another thing to teach a myth as fact.
According to my reading of the OP, the older children in question were not “pretending” with their parents. They were and still are taught as fact that Santa Claus (and the tooth fairy) exist.
I think that’s something that many of the responders in this thread are missing. Yes, I agree, certainly most children “figure it out” and many continue to play along with the fun myth for years, even into adulthood. Our family does this, too. Good heavens, my family has German ancestry and we Germans invented the fairy tale!
I talk to the bacteria that grow on the petri plates in my hospital lab!
But I don’t expect the bacteria to answer me. That’s important. The day the bacteria talk back to me is the day when I will be leaving my job and heading up to the fourth floor in our hospital for a happy stay in the “Mental Health” unit.
According to my reading of the OP, the children in question are not just “pretending.” The girl is expecting a visit from Santa while she stays with the OP. That’s not pretending.
Now of course, I may very well be mis-reading the OP, and if so, then what I am saying doesn’t apply. I assume that the OP will eventually step back into the thread and make any clarifications.
Are you all telling me that you think it’s OK for a 5th grader and a middle schooler to believe–for REAL, not just pretend–that Santa exists?
My response to that is, “No wonder so many Catholics don’t believe in the True Presence of Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament.”
The children in the OP are not little ones. The girl is in 5th grade and pre-pubescent. (I started my periods in 5th grade). The boy is in middle school–that means young teen or close to it.
I stand by my original post.
And yes, I still stand by my statement that this borders on abuse. It is abusive of parents to not allow their children to experience normal maturation processes. In other words, it’s not normal for older children to believe–for real–in Santa Claus.
Arresting a child’s development may result in the child’s isolation from their peers, and although perhaps some of you think this is a good thing, it really isn’t, unless your family lives in a bubble and never associates with anyone outside of that bubble. There are families in the home-school movement who do just that–never associate with anyone who might “contaminate” them or their children. Well, that’s fine, as long as they have a way to support themselves. Live and let live.
But I’m assuming that’s not the case with the family in the OP, as they are asking the OP to take their children over the holidays.
When parents arrest a child’s development, this could cause a crippling of a child’s social development which may cause problems for the rest of the child’s life. To put it bluntly, the child becomes a social nerd/geek/square/weirdo/whatever the current term is.
Although most children are willing to accept differences in other children, many normal, Christian, kind-hearted, friendly children will feel very uncomfortable around another child who has an absolute belief in the reality of Santa and the tooth fairy.
St. Therese of Lisieux lived over a century ago. Times have changed since then, like it or not. Although it is commendable to try to allow our children to remain innocent and childlike for as long as possible, the times we live in make it important for us to help our children to grow up with the social skills that they will need to function and even survive in a high-tech, fast-paced world in which the majority of people do not believe in the God of Christianity.
Our job as parents is not to try to keep our children children forever. Our job as parents is to help our children to grow up to become well-adjusted and reasonably happy and healthy adults. I know that’s hard–all of us love our little ones and want them to stay little forever. But they have to grow up and we have to help them. Teaching them that Santa is real, REALLY real, is not a good parenting tool to help a child grow up normal.
One more thing, and I hate to tell you this but… (spoiler alert)…
…Miracle on 34th Street is just a movie. As lovely as it is, It’s not real, everyone. Sorry.