15 prayers to St. Bridget

  • Thread starter Thread starter Epsilon_Omega
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Shin you are not fully thinking this out.

i.e. I’d never have had children if what you suggest is in fact true. Why would I have elected to have brought children into this worls if the odds are stacked against thier living with God for eternity. I’m an engineer, (not that it takes an engineer to understant mathematical dilema) but I’d have played it safe if I believed then what you suggest now.

Why would anyone for that matter?

Life:

Get married, have children.
Children dies and burn forever in hell. Thier flesh burning off thier bodies only to be regenerated each day to burn off again and again for all eternity. – Augustine and others

Where is my hope?

Does anyone else here have children and feel the deep resentment I feel about this? Are the people in these forums really this unfeeling and pious? This simply cannot be. If it is, then I’m out-here! As I said before, what do I have to lose?
Just because the majority in general goes to Hell, does not mean you cannot prevent some people from going to Hell, if you raise them right, evangelize them properly, make the sacrifices in prayer and love necessary for them.

The odds can rise in specific cases.

It all depends on how much you love and how much you are willing to sacrifice for the sake of the love of God, and love of neighbor for the sake of God.

If you want to save your children, look at St. Monica for guidance, and read what the traditional Catholics have to say about how to raise good children who are pure of heart and not tainted by the world.

If you are truly willing to go to the cross for the salvation of some people… well… that is the kind of love the prevents the world from coming to an end and saves souls. 🙂
 
Just because the majority in general goes to Hell, does not mean you cannot prevent some people from going to Hell, if you raise them right, evangelize them properly, make the sacrifices in prayer and love necessary for them.

It all depends on how much you love and how much you are willing to sacrifice for the sake of the love of God, and love of neighbor for the sake of God.

If you want to save your children, look at St. Monica for guidance, and read what the traditional Catholics have to say about how to raise good children who are pure of heart and not tainted by the world.
I returned to my faith (now questioning this decision) when my daughters where late teens. I convinced them to go to RCIA (along with my wife) and eventually become catholic. However I was admittelty too late to appropriately and properly teach them the faith (and the RCIA did a very poor job). Now they are in thier early twenties. It is too late for me to heavily influence them any longer.

My faith has been the cause of much more pain then hope and joy . For how can I have hope if all (virtually all) are hellbound? Oh Come all ye faithful, joyful and triumphant ---- SUUUURE!
 
I returned to my faith (now questioning this decision) when my daughters where late teens. I convinced them to go to RCIA (along with my wife) and eventually become catholic. However I was admittelty too late to appropriately and properly teach them the faith (and the RCIA did a very poor job). Now they are in thier early twenties. It is too late for me to heavily influence them any longer.

My faith has been the cause of much more pain then hope and joy . For how can I have hope if all (virtually all) are hellbound? Oh Come all ye faithful, joyful and triumphant ---- SUUUURE!
I’ve prayed for years for my lapsed Catholic family… I have no children, it’s the parents, grandparents…

And so far, though it has taken years, the signs are positive for them, in ways I would never have expected in the past.

It is quite possible that each of them will either experience the last sacraments or gain at least perfect contrition before death.

I have to do more it is true, much much more, sacrifice harder. There are hard hearts and minds, set in their ways.

But I have hope and trust, a certain kind of confidence along with the concern. I have availed myself of many prayers, and many prayers with promises.

And I know I am not praying alone. I petition the saints and angels to pray as well.

So… if you are concerned about your family… Have masses said for them… put them on prayer petitions… Do mortifications and penances and prayers for their sake.

These acts of love are not lost. God will apply them somewhere, to your family or to others. You can have hope. God is good. 🙂
 
I am not picking you personally, Shin. My comments are of a general nature, not in any way directed to you personally.

I just can’t reconcile Joy and Hope with this theology for obvious reasons. It is unreconcilable. I truly, honestly, find a dramatic contradiction here that leaves me bewildered and very much in doubt of the logic of what I had hoped was my faith.
 
I am not picking you personally, Shin. My comments are of a general nature, not in any way directed to you personally.

I just can’t reconcile Joy and Hope with this theology for obvious reasons. It is unreconcilable. I truly, honestly, find a dramatic contradiction here that leaves me bewildered and very much in doubt of the logic of what I had hoped was my faith.
I have reconciled it… It can be done… I know it.

Pray for the grace of God to help you with it. I will too.

You must have Faith for reasons of logic and truth… God has revealed it… It is clear in history. This is His Catholic Church… There is no other Faith… and so what you have trouble accepting… you just give up to God… so that you do not lose the supernatural virtue of Faith, trusting instead in yourself and your own judgement. You give it up to God. It’s in His care. 🙂

We don’t have to understand it all, we just have to have faith.
 
… I’d never have had children if what you suggest is in fact true. Why would I have elected to have brought children into this world if the odds are stacked against thier living with God for eternity. I’m an engineer, (not that it takes an engineer to understand mathematical dilema) but I’d have played it safe if I believed then what you suggest now.
I too have pondered this message from Our Lord & the Saints down the years.

It is human nature to think collectively, but that is not the true way to look at things. We all have free will and access to Grace. S. Francis de Sales advises against thinking too much of these deep issues, because they are beyond our power to fathom.

Think what would happen if we thought statistically, and compare it with what we are actually told by Our Lord and the Catholic Church:

Statistical thinking:
If we hear that 99% of souls go to Heaven: “Well, I must be all right then; I’ll keep on going the way I am. I’ll give up struggling! I’ll be complacent!”
and If we hear that 99% of souls go to Hell: “Help! that means I must be going there as well! I’ll give up struggling! I’ll despair!”

But the catechism says: to enter Heaven we must have Faith, Hope and Charity.
The two sins against Hope are Presumption and Despair.

Our Lord taught us the truth, told us what to do and provided the means. He gave us the tools. He also warned us that there is a hell, and that we could put ourselves there. These things are nothing to do with how many actually choose to follow Him.
I’m an engineer, (not that it takes an engineer to understand mathematical dilema) but I’d have played it safe if I believed then what you suggest now.
Beware of thinking mechanically. If we hear that 99% of bridges of a certain design have collapsed, that tells us something. The bridge is subject to blind forces. But if I hear that 99% of people with free will choose, e.g. to look at pornography on the web, that ought not to influence me (whether the statistic is true or not).

One of the interesting things about statistics is that they break down when it comes to individuals.

I have a bag with 99 red marbles and one yellow one. What is the chance (before I do it) of picking the yellow one? Yes, it’s 99:1. Now I pick one & hold it behind my back. What’s the chance that it is the yellow one? 99/1? No! It is either 1 or 0. After I make the choice, I either have a yellow marble or I don’t.

Anyone who has tried to enforce a set of rules will know how difficult it is to get human beings to concentrate on the actual rules, instead of looking at everybody else to see what they do. A school teacher is up against this every single day. And so, on that level, is God.

There is a mystery: S. Paul says: “Rejoice in the Lord always, again I say, rejoice”. But he also says, “Work out your Salvation in fear and trembling, because it is God who works in you”.

Our Lord says, “My yoke is easy, and my burden light”. Yet He also said, “the path to destruction is wide and easy, and those who take it are many”; and “The road that leads to salvation is narrow, and those that take it are few”.

I don’t know what the actual statistics are. But if it is really true that more go Down than Up, it must be that, although the Gates of Heaven are not so difficult to gain, there are those who simply do not try.
Life:
Get married, have children.
Children dies and burn forever in hell. Their flesh burning off thier bodies only to be regenerated each day to burn off again and again for all eternity. – Augustine and others

Where is my hope?
We would not believe in hell at all unless God had told us. We would not believe in Heaven either. We are offered Grace, and our free will really makes a difference to our eternal destiny. It is He who tells us, “I am the Way, and the Truth, and the Life”. The saints all tell us that nobody goes to hell who does not deserve it. Nobody at all has to lose Heaven.

continued……
 
continued……
Does anyone else here have children
Well, we had ten. At each new life, I rejoiced at the thought that we had participated in the creation of a new eternal life: that will never, never, be taken away. And we rejoiced in the Gift of the Faith that showed us the Way to heaven for ourselves and for this new eternal soul. Yes, I knew that the world was full of temptations and full of souls who (apparently) care nothing about pleasing God. Do not be alarmed that your children might fail! Be happy to be tipping the scales in God’s favour with these souls you yourself have care of, raised in the Faith!
and feel the deep resentment I feel about this?
Yes, it is terrifying if we focus on the picture of a soul in hell.
Are the people in these forums really this unfeeling
Our Lord did not give us an unconditional promise that He would take us to Heaven no matter what.

Dear Mijoy2, He has not told you or me that our children will go there. These souls, however, with our own, are the only ones we have very direct control over.
and pious?
Well, ‘pious’ is the Latin for ‘loving’: especially the love in a family.
This simply cannot be. If it is, then I’m out-here! As I said before, what do I have to lose? For how could I (even if I were one of the lucky ones)
My dear father would always say, “There is no such thing as luck”. It was the worst mistake of Calvin to teach the abominable doctrine that God predestines certain souls to damnation. G.K.Chesterton wrote that this teaching, although it was not seriously held for many years, nevertheless darkened the mood of Calvinist countries for centuries.
enjoy a moment in heaven knowing the children I love more then life itself is burning in hell? Is it me, or is this ludicrous? Ridiculous beyone belief, more evil then evil itself?
No, it is a normal parent’s reaction. But we are made in the image of God. A human father is only a ‘copy’ of God the Father. And a human mother, of Our Blessed Lady. We cannot actually make an accurate picture of either heaven or hell, or of our own thoughts when we are there (either Up or Down). When we think as you describe (and which parent cannot think like this, at least fleetingly?) We are simply missing something out of the picture. For example, would we murder another parent’s child if it saved our own? If one of our loved children, living in our house, were discovered to be a serial murderer, and would not listen to us, would we not have to give him up to the lawkeepers?

When Francisco of Fatima first saw the image of hell, he was at first distressed at the thought of the souls going to hell. But later on his short spritual journey, he was distressed because of the grief it gave Our Lord to have His Divine Love thrown back in His Face.

Are we better parents than God the Father and His Blessed Mother? Do they not love us? Yet is there not a hell? And the souls there – did they not have parents? We simply cannot get out of the dilemma. Luckily, we are asked, not to think too much about whether it will happen to us or ours, but to obey Our Lord’s lovely Law of Love, secure in the promise, “Do not fear, little ones: it has pleased My Father to give you The Kingdom” (Luke).

Some of us have had the dreadful experience of having to break a relationship: friend or family; because of a decisive rejection from the other. Is it not true that, one of the greatest sorrows is that we ourselves are under an obligation to terminate our own care for that person, let them go, and leave them in God’s care?

The saints tell us that this is a real sorrow of God: that having given free will to His children, when they reject Him, He is, in our way of speaking, obliged to suspend His own Graces to that soul. For whom ought we to feel the more grief, the ungrateful one, or the God who died on the Cross to save him?

Finally, let me say that it is one of the sweet lies of certain religious leaders to promise, as a certain truth now, that we are ‘Saved’. That was never the teaching of Christ and His Church. It does have disastrous consequences. Yet it draws people away from the Church, the Fountain of Truth.

Mijoy2 and others, I don’t feel I’m doing a very good job in this posting. Reading it, I seem to be very cold and clinical. It is just my own personality, which has a very analytical style. What I would really like to do is to warn people that, just as there are certain impure images that will damage us if we attend to them, so there are other images which are actually the wrong way to approach some of the Mysteries of the Faith: they do distort the Truth, even if they seem they must be accurate. We are wise to resist the temptation to dwell on them for this reason.

Padre Pio had a name for being on the gruff side. And he did have direct revelations about the eternal fate of many souls. When I read his words on this topic recently, I was surprised how encouraging he is. He would say, “Ah! If God were as strict as you think, there would be no hope for any of us”, and “God’s Mercy is much greater than you think”.

Rather than dwell on these images of despair, Let us rest in good Christian Hope. How happy the devil would be if we lost our Faith and Hope just because somebody told us that others went to hell.
 
While I have not read this whole thread (yet), it is always amazing to me how people think and how that thought forms itself into writing.

After 30 or so years of defending, teaching and studying the Catholic faith, I can only say that (we) Catholics as a whole have tried to keep the Christ-like attitude of humility and concern for what He showed us as an example to follow at the top of our priority. Maybe the ‘…smouldering wick…’ phrase explains this better.

Since this thread started with the “15 Prayers of St. Bridget” it will be far from me to second guess the concerns which were brought forth ‘way back when’ when these prayers came to be as they are now and wonder if the Church did the right thing in letting these prayers be printed in the 1300’s.
My observation is that those involved covered all the bases then and in minute detail and it is an exercise wasted to wonder and rehash their work 700 years later.
I and no one I know living before the end of their life on earth was involved so I’m thankful that we are so far removed from these facts and are able to use the prayers to enhance our understanding of how God wants us to think of why He did some of the things He did.

I say “Say the Prayers and let God take care of the promises if He is so inclined”
 
I returned to my faith (now questioning this decision) when my daughters where late teens. I convinced them to go to RCIA (along with my wife) and eventually become catholic. However I was admittelty too late to appropriately and properly teach them the faith (and the RCIA did a very poor job). Now they are in thier early twenties. It is too late for me to heavily influence them any longer.

My faith has been the cause of much more pain then hope and joy . For how can I have hope if all (virtually all) are hellbound? Oh Come all ye faithful, joyful and triumphant ---- SUUUURE!
Too late? Rubbish! I left off practicing the faith in my late teens - didn’t darken the door of a confessional for a good dozen years or more, spotty mass attendance, all sorts of sins. My parents never stopped loving me and praying for me during all that time.

Come my early thirties (about four years ago) - like a bolt from heaven God’s grace hit me. I went back to regular confession, Mass attendance, with God’s help have conquered some really difficult sins and faced some really difficult challenges. My parents example and prayers helped enormously. So don’t ever say it’s too late.

As for reconciling it all - look at it this way:

Don’t we all get enormous joy out of watching the Olympics or the World Cup of soccer every four years? The Super Bowl or the World Series baseball each year? Or other events such as American Idol or other competition-style television shows, or other type of competitions?

Don’t the athletes or other participants get huge joy simply out of competing, and don’t they just provide the ultimate shining examples of perseverance and hope and dedication for the rest of us who watch them?

And yet how few of those who start out the process of competing each year or each four years actually reach the pinnacle? Not many. And we KNOW from the start that only a small percentage of those who participate will succeed, yet we still can get joy out of watching the competition.

So yes, it’s possible to get joy out of the process of life on this earth, and look forward to more joy to come afterwards, while knowing that a certain (indeterminate) number of people will go to Hell - indeed, are already there. I might ask, why do the torments Satan and his angels are undoubtedly suffering not cause you apparent difficulty in this fashion? It seems that it is only the sufferings of people you know personally that bother you, not otherwise. 🤷
 
Too late? Rubbish! I left off practicing the faith in my late teens - didn’t darken the door of a confessional for a good dozen years or more, spotty mass attendance, all sorts of sins. My parents never stopped loving me and praying for me during all that time.

Come my early thirties (about four years ago) - like a bolt from heaven God’s grace hit me. I went back to regular confession, Mass attendance, with God’s help have conquered some really difficult sins and faced some really difficult challenges. My parents example and prayers helped enormously. So don’t ever say it’s too late.

As for reconciling it all - look at it this way:

Don’t we all get enormous joy out of watching the Olympics or the World Cup of soccer every four years? The Super Bowl or the World Series baseball each year? Or other events such as American Idol or other competition-style television shows, or other type of competitions?

Don’t the athletes or other participants get huge joy simply out of competing, and don’t they just provide the ultimate shining examples of perseverance and hope and dedication for the rest of us who watch them?

And yet how few of those who start out the process of competing each year or each four years actually reach the pinnacle? Not many. And we KNOW from the start that only a small percentage of those who participate will succeed, yet we still can get joy out of watching the competition.

So yes, it’s possible to get joy out of the process of life on this earth, and look forward to more joy to come afterwards, while knowing that a certain (indeterminate) number of people will go to Hell - indeed, are already there. I might ask, why do the torments Satan and his angels are undoubtedly suffering not cause you apparent difficulty in this fashion? It seems that it is only the sufferings of people you know personally that bother you, not otherwise. 🤷
Hi Lily, I just saw this, thank you for posting.

" I might ask, why do the torments Satan and his angels are undoubtedly suffering not cause you apparent difficulty in this fashion? It seems that it is only the sufferings of people you know personally that bother you, not otherwise."

Oh the sufferings of all trouble me of course. Just, being a dad, like any mom or dad, the welfare of my own children are inherently on my mind every minute of every day. Also, my children, I feel are more my responsibility then others. I feel I failed them in some respects.

I do appreciate your words, especially concerning the “too late” response. Although, I of course don’t think it is “too late” for them to grow in thier faith. I mean it has become too late for me to influence them in as great a way as if they were still very young and constantly in my presence. That is what I mean by “too late”. I am not suggesting I cannot still influence them. In fact I know I do. They exhibit a great deal of respect directed towards my personal attempts to learn more and more about my faith and desires (however successful or not successful) to live up to it. In fact I never exhibit my doubts or discouragements in thier presence. I have told them of my regrets in terms of the actions and lack of any substantive faith throught thier early lives.
 
Since there is no reason to not do the “right” things because others choose to do wrong, and, “wide is the road to hell … and many who travel there…” I’m not going to think that I’ve a “see-come” as we say playing cards.
I too have ten children, yet, before I had even one I offered this prayer to God, “Jesus You died to save souls, I’ll give you a few to save.” Ten later (and eight miscarriages) the final say is still in Jesus’ hands.
My mother always said that we don’t go to heaven by ourself. The children at Fatima were showed a vision of Hell where souls go BECAUSE there is no one to pray for them. So Pray for souls and let God save them.
15 prayers, 15 rosaries, 15 of this and 15 of that, 10, 5, 1 all in good time and don’t let up.
some souls need more and some less.

“One man plants the seed–another man waters, but, only God can give the increase.”
 
I wouldn’t worry about the validity of the promises because: The prayers have been greatly approved for the good of souls, that is undisputed, but furthermore the prayers also serve as an excellent way of the cross, which has great promises for the good of souls as well.

diocesepb.org/prayers/stations/explanation.htm.

Lastly St. Faustina reveled that Jesus himself said: “There is more merit to one hour of meditation on My sorrowful Passion than there is to a whole year of flagellation that draws blood; the contemplation of My painful wounds is of great profit to you, and it brings Me great joy.”

So pray them! Only good can come of it, we can be sure that all our needs will be met, and beyond! for God is very generous 🙂
 
I wouldn’t worry about the validity of the promises because: The prayers have been greatly approved for the good of souls, that is undisputed, but furthermore the prayers also serve as an excellent way of the cross, which has great promises for the good of souls as well.

diocesepb.org/prayers/stations/explanation.htm.

Lastly St. Faustina reveled that Jesus himself said: “There is more merit to one hour of meditation on My sorrowful Passion than there is to a whole year of flagellation that draws blood; the contemplation of My painful wounds is of great profit to you, and it brings Me great joy.”

So pray them! Only good can come of it, we can be sure that all our needs will be met, and beyond! for God is very generous 🙂
Well said, mirestrella.
 
, and talking of prayers with promises, the popes have granted an indulgence of 200 years for praying the chaplet of the Seven Sorrows of Our Lady after Sacramental Confession.
 
I would advise anyone who has doubt about suffering and how or why God uses it to help us, to read “The Way of Divine Love” by Josefa Menendez.
If someone really wants to know suffering and its’ value and this can take form of doubt or confusion as well as physical or mental suffering, this book is a must read.

And really if God Himself did not shy away from pain and advised us to embrace our cross in imitation of Him I consider what He says to any thing I might come up with on my own as far as doubts or reasons to doubt are concerned.
 
When God the Father sent His son into the world, he did not explain suffering, but he partook of it. There is a great mystery here. Which would have been easier for God? Surely He could have explained it all for us, but he did not. Instead, He suffered for us and with us.
 
I read this thread with interest and I think the most important question for people to ask themselves is ‘Why do I pray?’

Is it for merit? For gain? Because of duty? Wouldn’t it be wonderful if people prayed because they loved Jesus so much and knew their prayers would console Him? Because they knew praying would make Him happy? I have no idea about the ‘scriptural validity’ of such a suggestion but hasn’t He been asking that through the saints?

I am not a pastor nor am I a theologian or someone with papers to attest to any knowledge of scripture. But I can tell you this… the 15 Prayers of St Bridget saved me.

Almost two years ago, I was at a low point in my life, spiritually speaking. My career and family life was going great guns but I couldn’t shake off this feeling of depression and deep knowledge that at the end of my life, I would have nothing to offer to my Lord Jesus. I was also suffering from unexplained headaches so severe that they would render me unable to stand on my own two feet. Don’t tell me about doctors… I paid enough consultation money to make an elephant choke to death. I even went for an MRI! All the doctors couldn’t figure out what was wrong with me.

Then a kind soul gave the prayers to me, asking me to say them daily. Then the very first day I began them, my life turned upside down.

Shin mentioned in this thread that he has personally seen miracles attached to the St Bridget Prayers. I believe him because I have experienced them too. And so have most of my friends and acquaintances who began saying these prayers. What is a miracle if not something unexplained? But Shin doesn’t mention the miracles. What are the odds that they are the same experienced by myself or my friends?

Miracle No. 1 : I’d been unable to let go of certain behavioural problems for years… from the first day of praying the 15 St Bridget prayers, thoughts of these ‘vices’ were wiped clean from my mind. Till today!

Miracle No. 2 : My headaches are GONE!

Miracle No. 3 : Praying used to be so HARD. Even one Hail Mary a day was beyond me. Pathetic, eh? With the St Bridget prayers, 20 minutes are so ‘easy’ I couldn’t believe it. There were times of struggle… but as long as I began the prayers, the rest was easy. For some people, praying daily doesn’t count as a miracle. For me, it DOES.

Miracle No. 4 : Paranormal problems started ‘clearing up’ around me. And ALL of my friends who used this prayer in their lives to deal with paranormal problems experienced the same ‘clearing up’. But in the process, there WAS some …ahem… havoc? ruckus?

A friend experienced seeing small tongues of fire flare up from the Pieta booklet while they were praying. Another saw the WORDS of the prayer hanging in the air.

The majority of those who prayed the prayer daily experienced enhanced spiritual faith and love for God. THIS is the real miracle.

I don’t care if people do not believe me. I do not seek approval from others. What I care is that at long last I feel such indescribable happiness in my soul! Praise be to God!

Now I am determined to introduce this prayer to as many people as I can. I even made recordings to share with any and every one I can. They are downloadable at www.mediafire.com/prayers.

It took a while for me to figure out that the reason these prayers are so powerful is that they are focused on the Passion of Christ.

Don’t waste time on speculation. Try the prayers out for yourself. But not because you want to see miracles. For your info, those who experienced miracles were people who were under paranormal attack or experiencing desolation or serious illness… you don’t want to be them.
 
Thank you for relating this felicerose. 🙂

You have a priceless work there in sharing these prayers with people. 😃 A priceless gift!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top