1611 KJV in Walmart

  • Thread starter Thread starter DaveBj
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DaveBj

Guest
Walking thru our local Wally World yesterday I came across a display of 1611 King James Version Bibles for $4.97!!! Picked up one and opened it–the typeface is the same as was used in the 17th century, which is to say, almost illegible to 21st-century readers.

I didn’t get one; I already have a 1611, but in the edition that I purchased, only the introductory materials (dedication, saints’ calendar, etc.) are in the old typeface; the actual text itself had been run thru a computer program to convert the old typeface into a more Times-New-Roman-ish font. Much more readable.

DaveBj
 
Walking thru our local Wally World yesterday I came across a display of 1611 King James Version Bibles for $4.97!!! Picked up one and opened it–the typeface is the same as was used in the 17th century, which is to say, almost illegible to 21st-century readers.

I didn’t get one; I already have a 1611, but in the edition that I purchased, only the introductory materials (dedication, saints’ calendar, etc.) are in the old typeface; the actual text itself had been run thru a computer program to convert the old typeface into a more Times-New-Roman-ish font. Much more readable.

DaveBj
Well I bought one,but what I do not understand,why they excluded the 7 books? The original contained them? 😦
 
Well I bought one,but what I do not understand,why they excluded the 7 books? The original contained them? 😦
I didn’t look that closely to see of the deuterocanonicals were in or not. They are in my copy. :mad: on this publisher if they left them out.

DaveBj
 
I didn’t look that closely to see of the deuterocanonicals were in or not. They are in my copy. :mad: on this publisher if they left them out.

DaveBj
Actually the one sold at WalMart excludes them and in it is openly stated in the opening pages…😦 Why? To me that is false advertisement from the publisher and to be honest,quite deceiving and biased.
 
Actually the one sold at WalMart excludes them and in it is openly stated in the opening pages…😦 Why? To me that is false advertisement from the publisher and to be honest,quite deceiving and biased.
Does it have notes of any kind in it? The first edition of the 1611 KJV did not, by order of the King.
 
Does it have notes of any kind in it? The first edition of the 1611 KJV did not, by order of the King.
That is not correct. The 1611 did not have any theological notes – that was one of the requirements that the King placed on the translators after the 1604 Hampton Court Conference. The King was upset by the anti-monarchical notes of the popular Geneva Bible.

However, the KJV did have many translation notes and cross references.

Don’t take my word for it – look at one online yourself.
 
why on earth would anyone buy that? even for 4.97…
Not I. Over and above everything else that was mentioned, it looked really cheaply put together. I’m betting “Made in China.”

DaveBj
 
Not I. Over and above everything else that was mentioned, it looked really cheaply put together. I’m betting "Made in China."
Nope. Printed in the U.S.A. At $4.97 a pop, someone’s losing money.

I took one to the customer service desk and pointed out that they are being sold under a fraudulent claim. Will it do any good? I doubt it.

DaveBj
 
Walking thru our local Wally World yesterday I came across a display of 1611 King James Version Bibles for $4.97!!! Picked up one and opened it–the typeface is the same as was used in the 17th century, which is to say, almost illegible to 21st-century readers.

I didn’t get one; I already have a 1611, but in the edition that I purchased, only the introductory materials (dedication, saints’ calendar, etc.) are in the old typeface; the actual text itself had been run thru a computer program to convert the old typeface into a more Times-New-Roman-ish font. Much more readable.

DaveBj
Is it a complete KJB 1611 as in the original, or did they cut out the Deuterocanonical books?
 
I saw it too. Looked at the Bible, concluded it was not actually a 1611 edition KJB, and walked off. 🤷
Is it a complete KJB 1611 as in the original, or did they cut out the Deuterocanonical books?
They cut 'em.
 
Well yeah, but I don’t use it enough to make it worth the dl, so I just use 1611 King James Bible which has a decent search engine and belongs to a secular source. It also contains all the books, though listed under the misnomer of apocrypha. 🙂
 
Walking thru our local Wally World yesterday I came across a display of 1611 King James Version Bibles for $4.97!!! Picked up one and opened it–the typeface is the same as was used in the 17th century, which is to say, almost illegible to 21st-century readers.

I didn’t get one; I already have a 1611, but in the edition that I purchased, only the introductory materials (dedication, saints’ calendar, etc.) are in the old typeface; the actual text itself had been run thru a computer program to convert the old typeface into a more Times-New-Roman-ish font. Much more readable.

DaveBj
don’t need a KJV I own a Douay-Rheims.
 
don’t need a KJV I own a Douay-Rheims.
👍 HOWEVER, I REALLY wish I could find one in the same quality I can a KJV. Cambridge is releasing a gorgeous KJV Cameo edition with Apocrypha, first time in decades to include it, that is looking very tempting. 🙂 Why they don’t produce a DR, or even an RSV-CE, is beyond me. Nothing comes close to Cambridge Bibles as far as “build” quality. (Well, OK, there is RL Allan, but again, no Catholic Bibles)! 😦
 
👍 HOWEVER, I REALLY wish I could find one in the same quality I can a KJV. Cambridge is releasing a gorgeous KJV Cameo edition with Apocrypha, first time in decades to include it, that is looking very tempting. 🙂 Why they don’t produce a DR, or even an RSV-CE, is beyond me. Nothing comes close to Cambridge Bibles as far as “build” quality. (Well, OK, there is RL Allan, but again, no Catholic Bibles)! 😦
I admit, it would be nice to own, but then again, I’m a bible junkie. :o
 
I admit, it would be nice to own, but then again, I’m a bible junkie. :o
LOL, your not alone.

My wife keeps wondering why I need the Word of God in so many different variations. 😃 I keep telling her that if I ever get that goat skin covered perfectly laid out, multi ribbon DR version I long for, I’ll stop! Maybe I should look into a rebind one of these days.
 
LOL, your not alone.

My wife keeps wondering why I need the Word of God in so many different variations. 😃 I keep telling her that if I ever get that goat skin covered perfectly laid out, multi ribbon DR version I long for, I’ll stop! Maybe I should look into a rebind one of these days.
LOL.

I’m am also “banned” from purchasing any more rosary beads. :rolleyes: 😃

Face it, the church ladies are actually church* men*. 😉
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top