R
Rusyn0802
Guest
Would it be wrong for me to gradually limit financial support to my unemployed stepson who refuses to look for work?
Continuous stress and anger are ingredients for mental and physical health problems. They are also the opposite of love - a priced Christian virtue. That is why I seek help and insight into a problem with our 26-year-old stepson. He has never held a job - as a matter of fact, he has never worked a day in his life! Dealing with him has caused me to experience stress, bitterness and anger on a daily basis. I realize that this is not healthy for me or our family.
My stepson went off to college, but never graduated. At great expense we had to bring him home because of his failing grades and lies that went on for five wasted years. We had paid his way the entire time. Now he lives at home and attends a community college. He has a plan to get a degree in nursing - but that means three more years of college because he takes a slow path of 12 credits a semester or less and wastes his summer. And, I have to pay for it. I pay for his cell phone, car insurance, gas money, books, tuition, food, clothes - everything.
I need advice on how to get this guy on track. He’s already had counseling. He’s bright - he can answer every question right on Jeopardy; and he has friends - he often spends the night at his friends’ or stays with his girlfriend overnight (his mom gives him gas money) - but he won’t get a job.
I would like to cut back on the financial support for him, because I believe that is the only way for him to accept responsibility. That will cause angst. I am afraid I will be seen as a bad and evil stepfather. I also don’t want to act out of hate or anger. Would it be Christian and good parenting to insist that he begin to act like a man?
Continuous stress and anger are ingredients for mental and physical health problems. They are also the opposite of love - a priced Christian virtue. That is why I seek help and insight into a problem with our 26-year-old stepson. He has never held a job - as a matter of fact, he has never worked a day in his life! Dealing with him has caused me to experience stress, bitterness and anger on a daily basis. I realize that this is not healthy for me or our family.
My stepson went off to college, but never graduated. At great expense we had to bring him home because of his failing grades and lies that went on for five wasted years. We had paid his way the entire time. Now he lives at home and attends a community college. He has a plan to get a degree in nursing - but that means three more years of college because he takes a slow path of 12 credits a semester or less and wastes his summer. And, I have to pay for it. I pay for his cell phone, car insurance, gas money, books, tuition, food, clothes - everything.
I need advice on how to get this guy on track. He’s already had counseling. He’s bright - he can answer every question right on Jeopardy; and he has friends - he often spends the night at his friends’ or stays with his girlfriend overnight (his mom gives him gas money) - but he won’t get a job.
I would like to cut back on the financial support for him, because I believe that is the only way for him to accept responsibility. That will cause angst. I am afraid I will be seen as a bad and evil stepfather. I also don’t want to act out of hate or anger. Would it be Christian and good parenting to insist that he begin to act like a man?