#3 – Ignorance of Scripture Verses

  • Thread starter Thread starter dalcent
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dalcent -

I just reviewed not only this Question # 3 but all of your recent questions. It sounds to me as though you are making the mistake G.K. Chesterton observed with respect to the opinions of non-believers toward Christians and Christianity in general: they judged them (Christians) and it (Christianity) by the behavior of individual Christians. My point here is to suggest that you not look at the behavior of individual Catholics or priests, but at the fundamentals of the faith - the things that drew you into the Church from the beginning. It is those things that should keep you with us: we have the fullness of the truth.

With respect to ignorance of scripture in particular, I agree with a couple of other respondents that knowing a few verses would not ‘innoculate’ anyone, and may in fact put them in deeper jeopardy should those with whom they are speaking challenge them with other verses with which they are not familiar. I agree that is it sad that so many Catholics are not very familiar with scripture but pleased to note that many Catholic churches are now sponsoring Bible study groups.

One additional comment: you note that you have ‘no friends’ in the Catholic Church. In this case, I have to suggest that you look to yourself first. To have friend, one must be a friend. You need not wait for others to reach out to you; you can initiate. That being said, I suggest you attend daily Mass for a while. You will almost certainly see someone there with whom to strike up a friendship.

Do not abandon the fullness of the Church because of the behavior of others in it; rather stay because of the truth you have found -

Chuck
I second this statement. 👍
 
:o
Sad that non-Catholic Christians go out and evangelize Catholics.
No its not sad IMHO. Its an opportunity for that Catholic to evangelize that Non Catholic.

IF a conversion can come from it where a catholic leaves, You wont like me saying this but— fine with me.

Sure its sad, but that Catholic did not get proper formation to arrive at that conclusion, and frankly I would rather they be a fantastic Protestant than a bitter whiny wishy washy Catholic anyway.
 
One additional comment: you note that you have ‘no friends’ in the Catholic Church. In this case, I have to suggest that you look to yourself first. To have friend, one must be a friend. You need not wait for others to reach out to you; you can initiate. That being said, I suggest you attend daily Mass for a while. You will almost certainly see someone there with whom to strike up a friendship.

Do not abandon the fullness of the Church because of the behavior of others in it; rather stay because of the truth you have found -

Chuck
From what I have read, Dalcent seems hung up on emotion (mentioning great orators who could speak for 60-90 minutes) and fellowship as definitions of faith.
 
Damascus, when I read your post above, I thought you were being overly critical towards the OP but since I haven’t seen any responses to any of our comments, this has become almost like a game. Anyone care to make bet what #8, #9, #10 will be? Saints?, Mary? Any takers…Its like Letterman’s top ten list in reverse.🙂
I’m betting on Purgatory, Mary & Confession.

Should I start a survey thread for this? 😉
 
I’m betting on Purgatory, Mary & Confession.

Should I start a survey thread for this? 😉
I am highly tempted to start about 5 or so threads on “why people threaten to leave the Church on a forum”

All with numbered speculations and a poll.
 
What bothers me most is that he is saying that he’s NEVER met any Catholics who . . . and they are things that I am often accused of over-doing (quoting scriptures, witnessing, etc.):rolleyes:
 
Pope John Paul II was extremely concerned at the Catholic losses to Pentecostalism & Fundamentalism, especially in Latin America. Massive percentages of Catholics are poached by these groups. Thank you Lord, for books like ‘Catholicism and Fundamentalism’ but I only ever seen 1 copy of it in England in 4 ½ years: mine!

So, what ought the priests do? From the pulpit maybe give about 12–20 solidly Catholic verses to give basic answers to the fundamental drivel. But they never even preach any verses whatsoever. It would be **so **easy, but they let the opportunity slip.

And off the Catholics go to the Baptist churches! Why, why why?

I have an great 84 page booklet for Catholics defending us from the New Age movement by the:
PONTIFICAL COUNCIL FOR CULTURE
PONTIFICIAL COUNCIL FOR INTERRELIGIOUS DIALOGUE
Jesus Christ the bearer of the Water of Life
A Christian Reflection on the ‘New Age’

Have the Church produced a similar booklet against the Fundamentalist threat? Are they really only a few authors at Ignatius Press on the case whilst millions are being lost?

But again I only think the Catholic parishes need to teach most of their members a couple of dozen verses and they’d be inoculated. But they won’t.

I have decided my break my questions up into a number of posts because I’m looking for real answers and don’t want to be accused of making a ‘buckshot’ attack.
I am a catholic, I am not ignorant of Scripture verses…bring them on!
 
Paul, Check his profile and take a peek at the number of Threads posts he is bombarding us with here today. I already asked him that Point Blank and he has too many threads going now to respond to any of them!!

Is there a posting limit on how many threads someone can blast us with here?

Mods? Anyone know???
Damascus, when I read your post above, I thought you were being overly critical towards the OP but since I haven’t seen any responses to any of our comments, this has become almost like a game. Anyone care to make bet what #8, #9, #10 will be? Saints?, Mary? Any takers…Its like Letterman’s top ten list in reverse.🙂
I’m betting on Purgatory, Mary & Confession.

Should I start a survey thread for this? 😉
I am highly tempted to start about 5 or so threads on “why people threaten to leave the Church on a forum”

All with numbered speculations and a poll.
If he is sincere, I’m sure he will see your comments as helpful or will it prove his point in one of his other threads?
 
IF a conversion can come from it where a catholic leaves, You wont like me saying this but— fine with me.

Sure its sad, but that Catholic did not get proper formation to arrive at that conclusion, and frankly I would rather they be a fantastic Protestant than a bitter whiny wishy washy Catholic anyway.
Sometimes the truth can be motivating though. 😉
 
If he is sincere, I’m sure he will see your comments as helpful or will it prove his point in one of his other threads?
ITs not going to prove any of his points.

I am asking him to step forward and answer the questions posed to him. He is too busy hitting us with all these threads at once and has not done it.

Its not sincere to blast someone with a ton of questions all at once like this.

Read all his posts again and reconsider your position.

NO wonder he isnt finding friends. IF he blasts people he disagrees with the way he has with the Bride of Christ its no wonder no one wants to be his freind.
 
mrs abbott-- did you realize he has a MA in Theology?

Thats why we cant tell him the truth. Hes not asking about truth or teachings of the Church. He is knocking its members.
 
I agree mrs abbot but he is not questioning doctrine here. And he has multiple posts all over the forum and he is not responding to any of them.
Well the titles alone of these threads seem redundant and over-played with no foundation supporting his claims. At least when I questioned something, I had some reasoning, whether I was correct or not.
 
Well the titles alone of these threads seem redundant and over-played with no foundation supporting his claims. At least when I questioned something, I had some reasoning, whether I was correct or not.
From reading his posts, he bases his faith on emotion (great sermons) and fellowship (friends).
 
Sometimes the truth can be motivating though. 😉
Yeah. Its motivating me right now.

Take another look at how many people in all of England have a copy of Karls book (in 4 1/2 yrs)

I am sure that number is truthful.:rolleyes:
 
Taking the time to discuss what Fundamentalists believe in the middle of Mass would take away from our time with Christ. Can you imagine discussing Fundamentalist beliefs and how to counter them at the foot of the cross? You have a fundamental misunderstanding about what happens in a Catholic Mass.
 
:eek: The Jehovahs Witnesses meet often to get “scriptural” basis to knock everyones beliefs but theirs all the time!!! Hours and Hours a week of “training” to go door to door.

No worship. Just training to “indoctrinate” as you say the massses of the “lost sheep”

SHould we add 20 minutes for Buhdists, and another 20 for Hindu and an extra hour for atheists…

Mass would be an apologetics session!!!
 
:eek: The Jehovahs Witnesses meet often to get “scriptural” basis to knock everyones beliefs but theirs all the time!!! Hours and Hours a week of “training” to go door to door.

No worship. Just training to “indoctrinate” as you say the massses of the “lost sheep”

SHould we add 20 minutes for Buhdists, and another 20 for Hindu and an extra hour for atheists…

Mass would be an apologetics session!!!
Essentially the OP is asking us to take 20 minutes away from Jesus and think about false religions.
 
Essentially the OP is asking us to take 20 minutes away from Jesus and think about false religions.
I dont want to drink of that pure poison!:eek:

Keep that out of my Parish please!

OP start a class at your Parish. Title it “you lazy Catholics need to get up to speed”

See how many show up.
 
So, what ought the priests do? From the pulpit maybe give about 12–20 solidly Catholic verses to give basic answers to the fundamental drivel. But they never even preach any verses whatsoever. It would be **so **easy, but they let the opportunity slip.

In the Catholic Church the Priest does not get free reign to make things up as he goes along. He does his job. Not more not less hopefully.

And off the Catholics go to the Baptist churches! Why, why why?

Cite your allegation with facts. Even if it could be proven makes no difference to me in the least. Its not a numbers game.
Why? I dont know. The bible tells us that many will follow fables. No biggie.

**I have an great 84 page booklet **for Catholics defending us from the New Age movement by the:
PONTIFICAL COUNCIL FOR CULTURE
PONTIFICIAL COUNCIL FOR INTERRELIGIOUS DIALOGUE
Jesus Christ the bearer of the Water of Life
A Christian Reflection on the ‘New Age’

Yes, the Church puts out good stuff no?

Have the Church produced a similar booklet against the Fundamentalist threat?

Here - tip- google Holy See, type in Fundamentalist and go for it buddy.
Here is only one link:
vatican.va/roman_curia/pontifical_councils/cultr/documents/rc_pc_cultr_01091993_doc_i-1993-ple_en.html

Are they really only a few authors at Ignatius Press on the case whilst millions are being lost
?

Ignatius Press or the Pontifical Council? Make up your mind docent!!! **
But again I only think the Catholic parishes need to teach most of their members a couple of dozen verses and they’d be inoculated. But they won’t.
**

We have a nurse that gives flu shots at my parish, does that count???
I have decided my break my questions up into a number of posts because I’m looking for real answers and don’t want to be accused of making a ‘buckshot’ attack.
We wouldn’t want that now would we?:rolleyes:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top