#3 – Ignorance of Scripture Verses

  • Thread starter Thread starter dalcent
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
So, what ought the priests do? From the pulpit maybe give about 12–20 solidly Catholic verses to give basic answers
to the fundamental drivel. But they never even preach any verses whatsoever. It would be **so **easy, but they let the opportunity slip.

Have the Church produced a similar booklet against the Fundamentalist threat? Are they really only a few authors at Ignatius Press on the case whilst millions are being lost?

**But again I only think the Catholic parishes need to teach most of their members a couple of dozen verses and they’d be inoculated. But they won’t.**Oh gee…lessee. You want answers from the Catholic Church on a-C rhetoric. (Boy, this is gonna be a hard one…NOT!:rolleyes: )
The Beginning Apologetics Series from San Juan Catholic Seminars. and you can get it from SJCS or right here on the CA shop on the ma(name removed by moderator)age. Use them for study materials in your parishes and watch Catholics begin winning souls and see them refute foolishness.

Don’t forget John Martignoni’s Bible Christian Society which offers some of the best apologetic Bible studies around FREE as MP3 downloads from his site. You might wanna start with Apologetics for the Scripturally Challenged.
Pax tecum,
 
mrs abbott-- did you realize he has a MA in Theology?

Thats why we cant tell him the truth. Hes not asking about truth or teachings of the Church. He is knocking its members.
If he has a MA in Theology, he should be here refuting statements that are made against what he is saying. It just doesn’t add up. :nope:
As far as knocking the members, there’s bad apples in every bunch at EVERY Church. You can’t find perfection here on earth. That much I’ve learned in my 25 years in this world. 😉
 
If he has a MA in Theology, he should be here refuting statements that are made against what he is saying. It just doesn’t add up. :nope:
As far as knocking the members, there’s bad apples in every bunch at EVERY Church. You can’t find perfection here on earth. That much I’ve learned in my 25 years in this world. 😉
You did all that without an MA in Theology?

I say you have a good case to be made for keeping things in perspective, and using God Given common sense.

But, what do I know? :confused:
 
40.png
Damascus:
You did all that without an MA in Theology?

I say you have a good case to be made for keeping things in perspective, and using God Given common sense.

But, what do I know? :confused:

I’m kinda glad I didn’t waste my time and money getting a MA in Theology because it doesn’t seem to do folks any good, well, at least in this case. :rolleyes:
Between libraries, the internet, the Bible and other sources, I’d say I’m fairly well-equiped in finding the teachings of the Church. 👍
 
I’m kinda glad I didn’t waste my time and money getting a MA in Theology because it doesn’t seem to do folks any good, well, at least in this case. :rolleyes:
Between libraries, the internet, the Bible and other sources, I’d say I’m fairly well-equiped in finding the teachings of the Church. 👍
I think you are dead on! Sure I’d like to have a divinity degree, sure I’d like to have read 5,000 or more books on the subject. But, ya know in a way I’m glad I did not. If I had done all that, spent so much time and money persuing it, what a sad day it would be to end up with the conclusion that :

Its all a big lie!!!:rolleyes:

If my parents had paid for all that, and that’s all I ended up with –
I’d have some 'spainin to do!
 
If I had done all that, spent so much time and money persuing it, what a sad day it would be to end up with the conclusion that :

Its all a big lie!!!:rolleyes:

If my parents had paid for all that, and that’s all I ended up with –
I’d have some 'spainin to do!
Exactly! The thing with secular theology is that it’s so vague that it’s open for interpretation by anybody and everybody, whether or not they are religious and belong to a particular denomination.
Btw, I love the Lucille Ball reference there at the end! 😃 Whether or not that was your intention, that’s what I thought of.
Sorry, just had to say something. 😛 Now back to the topic!!! 🙂
 
Should we use a Bible passage to meditate on now?
I just wondered what he meant by the apsostacy allegation.

Here:
Saint Paul (2 Thess 2:3) warns of a great apostacy –

These are persons who Reject the Bride of Christ

Christ warns us of it as well:

Matt 24:11-12, and Luke 18:8

Jesus never warns us that his precious Bride will turn on us.

Its really something that I hope Dalcent knows.

But then again, we will have to assume he knows his bible.
 
Should we use a Bible passage to meditate on now?
I just wondered what he meant by the apsostacy allegation.

Here:
Saint Paul (2 Thess 2:3) warns of a great apostacy –

These are persons who Reject the Bride of Christ

Christ warns us of it as well:

Matt 24:11-12, and Luke 18:8

Jesus never warns us that his precious Bride will turn on us.

Its really something that I hope Dalcent knows.

But then again, we will have to assume he knows his bible.
The only thing I can think of that the OP might not know is who the Bride of Christ is? Dalcent? Are you out there?
 
The only thing I can think of that the OP might not know is who the Bride of Christ is? Dalcent? Are you out there?
Oh. I assumed again. Its the Church, and of course I am merely quessing Dalcent is still on some type of restriction from posting? I dont know.

I would love for him to give us scriptural reasons for wanting to do what he is proposing here. I think its only fair at least on this thread.
 
Oh. I assumed again. Its the Church, and of course I am merely quessing Dalcent is still on some type of restriction from posting? I dont know.

I would love for him to give us scriptural reasons for wanting to do what he is proposing here. I think its only fair at least on this thread.
Well, if he’s gonna go through the trouble of starting the thread, you’d at least think he’d want some answers and a chance to voice HIS opinion. Maybe I’m mistaken though.
I wish he’d come back and show how and why we’re ignorant of scripture. 😉
 
Oh. I assumed again. Its the Church, and of course I am merely quessing Dalcent is still on some type of restriction from posting? I dont know.

I would love for him to give us scriptural reasons for wanting to do what he is proposing here. I think its only fair at least on this thread.
He was suspended after reason # 3 in the middle of posting reason # 4. As I said before, three times the charm and on reason three he was called out on third base, bye bye.

We’ll see what happens when he comes back.
 
QUOTE]The homily is meant to expound upon those scripture passages read during mass. And by doing this the Church is teaching people something more valuable than can be passed along in 12-20 verses.
Hi,
I was just wondering if you could expand on this statement for me? What exactly is the more valuable lesson being taught?

Thanks:D
 
QUOTE]The homily is meant to expound upon those scripture passages read during mass. And by doing this the Church is teaching people something more valuable than can be passed along in 12-20 verses.
Hi,
I was just wondering if you could expand on this statement for me? What exactly is the more valuable lesson being taught?

Thanks:D

All for him,

The way I take it is that its better to focus on the Bible readings in the Homily and focus on those passages than to try and do a bible marathon where there is not enough reflection on the scripture that should be due it.

I hope that is the right answer. That is my 2 cents.

When I was a Protestant I thought it was more important to see how many verses got mentioned and now I see that for me, its been very enriching to slowly focus on a few.
 
Hi,
I was just wondering if you could expand on this statement for me? What exactly is the more valuable lesson being taught?

Thanks:D
All for him,

The way I take it is that its better to focus on the Bible readings in the Homily and focus on those passages than to try and do a bible marathon where there is not enough reflection on the scripture that should be due it.

I hope that is the right answer. That is my 2 cents.

When I was a Protestant I thought it was more important to see how many verses got mentioned and now I see that for me, its been very enriching to slowly focus on a few.

Hi,
I dont know if that is the answer of the person I asked but that makes sense to me. Thank you:thumbsup: If my minister did that our services would be shorter:thumbsup: 😃 Dont get me wrong I learn a valuable lesson with each sermon. Actually my minister teaches sermon in series. For example he taught an 11 or 12 week series om marriage, divorce and remarriage. So you pretty much get all the bible verses on that subject.👍 He is now teaching about self-worth and what the bible really says about the self-love movement. Now that is a cheery subject:eek: 😦 But I love learning the bible so Im good with it.👍
 
Hi,
I dont know if that is the answer of the person I asked but that makes sense to me. Thank you:thumbsup: If my minister did that our services would be shorter:thumbsup: 😃 Dont get me wrong I learn a valuable lesson with each sermon. Actually my minister teaches sermon in series. For example he taught an 11 or 12 week series om marriage, divorce and remarriage. So you pretty much get all the bible verses on that subject.👍 He is now teaching about self-worth and what the bible really says about the self-love movement. Now that is a cheery subject:eek: 😦 But I love learning the bible so Im good with it
I love learning the bible too AllforHIm!!!

I also go to bible classes. (lets not bring that up) and I read it as well. But, we dont go there for a big bible lesson. It sounds nice how your pastor does it.
I will agree whatever the “self love movement” is I have to say it does not sound good:( but, then again if you read some of my posts I am not a fan of innovative “movements” yet I must accept some.
Thankfully I dont have to take part in them.

We all love the bible, thats why I dont understand this thread.
:confused:
 
QUOTE]The homily is meant to expound upon those scripture passages read during mass. And by doing this the Church is teaching people something more valuable than can be passed along in 12-20 verses.
Hi,
I was just wondering if you could expand on this statement for me? What exactly is the more valuable lesson being taught?

Thanks:D

You know there is the story of the Desert Fathers. In one, the young novice went to the Prior and asked for a word of wisdom from the Gospel to contemplate. The Prior gave him one word. He went back to his cell and after three years, he felt he was ready for the next word. So he left his cell and asked the Prior for another word. The Prior gave him another word from the Gospel. This one he master in two years. So the Prior gave him a more difficult word from the Gospel and he has been in his cell ever since.

Better to learn just one thing very well than learn a bunch of verses badly.😃
 
We all love the bible, thats why I dont understand this thread.
:confused:
The use of the Bible is practically the universal connection, after God Himself, that brings ALL Christian denominations on common ground. Now, whether we all interpret it the same is a whole other ballgame. 😉
 
The use of the Bible is practically the universal connection, after God Himself, that brings ALL Christian denominations on common ground. Now, whether we all interpret it the same is a whole other ballgame. 😉
Well said.

It really hurts my heart to hear someone say that Catholics are ignorant of Scripture Verses. And then assert that we should be using these verses to drill into another faiths belief system that they are off base. :confused:

I dont use my Bible as a machine gun. Toting it around ready to point and shoot!

Forums are one thing, citing scripture here in a discussion to make a point is one thing.

But to walk up to any Christian and spew bible verses at them and demand they repent of their heresy is just beyond the pale. How many denominations and heresies should I equip myself for battle? Is this how I will know the Bible? I would rather know the Bible another way.

I dont want the Mass to be a Bible study. Of course ignorance of Scripture is a very bad thing. But you can not seperate the Bible from the Church!

You cant say that you value scripture on the one hand and on the other hand you say that the Church is flawed.

The next logical step if you do is , if they are flawed then they cant possibly be interpreting the Bible correctly…
Then the next logical step is a slow steady path to eternal damnation.

Maybe I am just an oddball. I dont see it as a choice one can make without loosing all around.

You must accept the Church that gave you that Bible.
 
It really hurts my heart to hear someone say that Catholics are ignorant of Scripture Verses.
I’ve discovered that many Protestants are ignorant of scripture verses too so it’s unfair to pick on Catholics when ignorance is found EVERYWHERE.
I dont want the Mass to be a Bible study. Of course ignorance of Scripture is a very bad thing. But you can not seperate the Bible from the Church!
I wish Bible Studies were offered at more parishes. I haven’t known a Catholic Church in the area in which I have lived my entire life to have had a bible study session. 😦 It’d be nice to sit around with others and have the priest lead the discussion and answer questions.

Do any Catholic Churches have Bible Studies led by a priest?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top