#3 – Ignorance of Scripture Verses

  • Thread starter Thread starter dalcent
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish Bible Studies were offered at more parishes. I haven’t known a Catholic Church in the area in which I have lived my entire life to have had a bible study session. 😦 It’d be nice to sit around with others and have the priest lead the discussion and answer questions.
Do any Catholic Churches have Bible Studies led by a priest?
Funny you ask. My parish just started one. Priest is leading it. Guess who has been there?:rolleyes:

I have a suggestion. You can try and start one. Thats how ours was started. By request.
 
Funny you ask. My parish just started one. Priest is leading it. Guess who has been there?:rolleyes:

I have a suggestion. You can try and start one. Thats how ours was started. By request.
How can you start one? Should I ask the priest to take a poll and see how many are interested and see if the priest is even up for leading it?
 
How can you start one? Should I ask the priest to take a poll and see how many are interested and see if the priest is even up for leading it?
I hate to burst your excitement but in our case it was a lady who worked in the office that put a ton of pressure on a particular priest who is a softie.

Never ask a priest to do a poll IMHO. Its your idea and he is going to want you to do the legwork - he wont take your idea seriously if you cant do the legwork yourself. I would start with the groups your parish already has and make sure there are no conflicts with a date and time you would like to do it where it will be good for everyone.

Then get going and ask around.

I think there is a thread somewhere on suggestions…

Let me see if I can find it!

Maybe you will have that study after all!😃
 
Hi,
I was just wondering if you could expand on this statement for me? What exactly is the more valuable lesson being taught?

Thanks:D
You know there is the story of the Desert Fathers. In one, the young novice went to the Prior and asked for a word of wisdom from the Gospel to contemplate. The Prior gave him one word. He went back to his cell and after three years, he felt he was ready for the next word. So he left his cell and asked the Prior for another word. The Prior gave him another word from the Gospel. This one he master in two years. So the Prior gave him a more difficult word from the Gospel and he has been in his cell ever since.

Better to learn just one thing very well than learn a bunch of verses badly.😃

Hi,
I agree:thumbsup:
 
I hate to burst your excitement but in our case it was a lady who worked in the office that put a ton of pressure on a particular priest who is a softie.
sigh
Never ask a priest to do a poll IMHO. Its your idea and he is going to want you to do the legwork - he wont take your idea seriously if you cant do the legwork yourself. I would start with the groups your parish already has and make sure there are no conflicts with a date and time you would like to do it where it will be good for everyone.

Then get going and ask around.
I’m willing to do the legwork but ONLY if the priest will even consider it. If he has no interest, then I’m not gonna bother. I feel angry that priests wouldn’t have even concern to do this. :mad: I’ll maintain a positive attitude though when I approach him. Maybe he’ll want to do it. Who knows? 😉
 
The use of the Bible is practically the universal connection, after God Himself, that brings ALL Christian denominations on common ground. Now, whether we all interpret it the same is a whole other ballgame. 😉
AMEN to that SISTER!!!👍 😃
 
sigh

I’m willing to do the legwork but ONLY if the priest will even consider it. If he has no interest, then I’m not gonna bother. I feel angry that priests wouldn’t have even concern to do this. :mad: I’ll maintain a positive attitude though when I approach him. Maybe he’ll want to do it. Who knows? 😉
Hi,

Before you go and ask him pray that God will open his heart and mind to the possibility.👍
 
I’ve discovered that many Protestants are ignorant of scripture verses too so it’s unfair to pick on Catholics when ignorance is found EVERYWHERE.

Yes that is soo true sadly.It is universal and not just any one denom.😦
 
All for Him,

Does your church also have Bible lessons? (I am going to go out on a limb and guess—yes?)

Just wondering…
 
All for Him,

Does your church also have Bible lessons? (I am going to go out on a limb and guess—yes?)

Just wondering…
Hi,
Yes. We have 4 ladies bible studies go on. 1 mens and 2 married couples study and a singles. Plus there are small groups that meet during the week at night at peoples homes in the surrounding towns near the church.

Right now I am studying the book of Daniel. It is a very hard study. My head is swimming.:whacky:

I really feel the only true way to learn about God is through bible studies. Mass and services are fantastic of course, but they are only scratching the surface of what is in the bible. I am discovering the more I learn the more I dont know about the bible.It can be overwhelming but well worth the effort.
I learn in church from the sermons but I learn more in depth by studying the bible on one particular subject for weeks at a time and really focus on that subject.👍(and dare I say do HOMEWORK:eek: )
Im afraid most people dont see it this way. They figure they hear enough in the sermon or homile and dont need any further study. I find(in my own experience)those are the people that are just playing church.
I have heard people say hear(catholics well because this is who is on this forum )that they hear the whole bible in(is it 1 or 3 years I cant remember:o)and are so proud of that, but I would say, but have you learned anything:confused: We may hear the gospel but have we really listened enough to take away and apply it to our daily lives. Probably not:( Besides there is so much deep in the Scriptures that sermons and homiles just dont cover because there is not enough time in the Mass or Service…

Well that was a very long answer to a short question. It must be the fat-reduced oreos Im nibbling on.:eek: I will have to go to the gym on Thanksgiving after all. Can you believe my gym is actually open in the am.:eek:
 
Hi,
Yes. We have 4 ladies bible studies go on. 1 mens and 2 married couples study and a singles. Plus there are small groups that meet during the week at night at peoples homes in the surrounding towns near the church.

That is fantastic!​

Right now I am studying the book of Daniel. It is a very hard study. My head is swimming.

##Its not a picnic all the time is it? But we still do it.

I am discovering the more I learn the more I dont know about the bible.It can be overwhelming but well worth the effort.

###Some people who have done nothing but study the Bible feel the same way, even with an education in the matter even after many years of study.
So its not something to be put off by, I agree.

I learn in church from the sermons but I learn more in depth by studying the bible on one particular subject for weeks at a time and really focus on that subject.👍(and dare I say do HOMEWORK:eek: )
Im afraid most people dont see it this way. They figure they hear enough in the sermon or homile and dont need any further study. I find(in my own experience)those are the people that are just playing church.

##Well, some are filled with good intentions. I also dont like to judge the ones who really dont want to do it alone.

I have heard people say hear(catholics well because this is who is on this forum )that they hear the whole bible in(is it 1 or 3 years I cant remember:o)and are so proud of that, but I would say, but have you learned anything:confused:

##well I can only answer for myself. I believe it is our personal responsibility to do anything more than this. And believe me people do it.

We may hear the gospel but have we really listened enough to take away and apply it to our daily lives. Probably not:( Besides there is so much deep in the Scriptures that sermons and homiles just dont cover because there is not enough time in the Mass or Service…

well, if we do the “homework” it can be done. Of course, how do we measure it? A test perhaps? Again, its all a matter of personal responsibility to get the most we can out of it, IMHO.​

Well that was a very long answer to a short question. It must be the fat-reduced oreos Im nibbling on.:eek: I will have to go to the gym on Thanksgiving after all. Can you believe my gym is actually open in the am.:eek:
###Yep. Everything is going to be open here. Amazing huh?

##Mmmmmm. I prefer the original fatted up version. I dont buy any “lite” or reduced calorie foods. Therefore, I think your ideas must have come from a NEW and innovative source. 😛
 
Hello my friend,
I recall as a small lad being expected to memorize Bible verses in whichever Protestant church our family happened to be nearby. I also recall preachers and Sunday School teachers in the same congregations interpreting those verses differently, and many statements that were blatantly anti-Catholic, so much so that I took it on myself to find out why. The truth set me free.
Being able to recite verses from the Bible is no guarantee of anything, really, although I can still do a pretty good job of countering JWs, LDS, and others with my biblical knowledge. It is said that Satan can recite the entire Bible, too.
As for using Bible verses during Mass, other posters have pointed out that on Sundays we have three readings from Holy Scripture, and I think most priests and deacons do a pretty fair job of keying their homilies off the Gospel or other readings of the day. In fact, I’d put one of our deacons up against just about any preacher of any church that I’ve ever heard.
 
The homily is meant to expound upon those scripture passages read during mass. And by doing this the Church is teaching people something more valuable than can be passed along in 12-20 verses.
Hello. 🙂 What I meant is that I think it is far more valuable to teach bible passages with context than random individual verses. Too many times taking things out of context leads to gross misunderstanding. I personally have learned so much more than I ever had as a protestant by paying attention to the context of a verse. Verses do not stand alone. I think it is a mistake to treat them like they do.
 
Hello. 🙂 What I meant is that I think it is far more valuable to teach bible passages with context than random individual verses. Too many times taking things out of context leads to gross misunderstanding. I personally have learned so much more than I ever had as a protestant by paying attention to the context of a verse. Verses do not stand alone. I think it is a mistake to treat them like they do.
Yes I totally agree with you. Luckily for me I am in a church that does not do that.👍
 
Hello my friend,
I recall as a small lad being expected to memorize Bible verses in whichever Protestant church our family happened to be nearby. I also recall preachers and Sunday School teachers in the same congregations interpreting those verses differently, and many statements that were blatantly anti-Catholic, so much so that I took it on myself to find out why. The truth set me free.
Being able to recite verses from the Bible is no guarantee of anything, really, although I can still do a pretty good job of countering JWs, LDS, and others with my biblical knowledge. It is said that Satan can recite the entire Bible, too.
As for using Bible verses during Mass, other posters have pointed out that on Sundays we have three readings from Holy Scripture, and I think most priests and deacons do a pretty fair job of keying their homilies off the Gospel or other readings of the day. In fact, I’d put one of our deacons up against just about any preacher of any church that I’ve ever heard.
Hi,
Im not necessarily talking about memorizing Scriptures. Although God does tell us to keep the Scriptures in our hearts so we can know them to protect ourselves. I am not good at memorizing Scripture at all. Actually, Im not sure if Ive ever done so. Anway, what I do do is learn the Scriptures and apply them to my life and how I can be more Christ-like. I think that is really all any of us can do. We cant change other people. That is God’s job. We can only change ourselves and only through biblical principles. Even though we have doctrinal differences, we are still all striving for the same thing–to be more Christ-like and to please God and ultimately meet Jesus face to face in heaven. The only way to know how to be Christ-like and live a life worthy of calling myself a christian is written in the bible.😃 That is why it is so important to know what the Scripture say.👍
 
##Mmmmmm. I prefer the original fatted up version. I dont buy any “lite” or reduced calorie foods. Therefore, I think your ideas must have come from a NEW and innovative source. 😛
LOL I try not to eat anything at full calorie or fat content–except ice-cream maybe.

I agree with you that it is our responsability to seek out bible studies or learn more. The church cant make us do it. However, a church should offer it.
Your right I shouldnt judge anyone who doesnt I should just pray that God puts it in their heart to want to learn more about Him.👍
 
Hi,
Im not necessarily talking about memorizing Scriptures. Although God does tell us to keep the Scriptures in our hearts so we can know them to protect ourselves. I am not good at memorizing Scripture at all. Actually, Im not sure if Ive ever done so. Anway, what I do do is learn the Scriptures and apply them to my life and how I can be more Christ-like. I think that is really all any of us can do. We cant change other people. That is God’s job. We can only change ourselves and only through biblical principles. Even though we have doctrinal differences, we are still all striving for the same thing–to be more Christ-like and to please God and ultimately meet Jesus face to face in heaven. **The only way to know how to be Christ-like and live a life worthy of calling myself a christian is written in the bible.😃 **That is why it is so important to know what the Scripture say.👍
So, I take it the early fathers, martyrs and others that were taught by the apostles would not be of any help to learn how to be Christ -like since they are not mentioned in the Bible? :confused:

My child is not mentioned in the Bible, but teaches me more everyday how to be more Christ-like! 🙂
 
So, I take it the early fathers, martyrs and others that were taught by the apostles would not be of any help to learn how to be Christ -like since they are not mentioned in the Bible? :confused:

My child is not mentioned in the Bible, but teaches me more everyday how to be more Christ-like! 🙂
I think maybe she meant how we can best know Christ and follow Him is by reading accounts of His life in the Bible. Maybe? 🙂
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top