55-7 Gop Lose

  • Thread starter Thread starter Sirach14
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
The GOP lost and I am done with them. I will do whatever I can to make sure they do not get votes again, they cannot be trusted with the authority we gave to them. I will not vote for the dems either, so for the first time I am forced to strey towards independents.
 
Those who don’t know how to lead don’t deserve to lead. What a bunch of dolts.

Dan L
 
The preformance by the R’s is truly pathetic. It’s shameful that we have to pander to the Dems in this way and especially on this issue. I’m just beside myself really and not sure what to do. I really think conservative Christians got “jobbed”.
 
Jennifer,

There is really only one thing to do…vote for another party and not the dems.
 
We will see how it plays out. So far they have gotten all the judges they have wanted since this agreement.
 
40.png
TPJCatholic:
Jennifer,

There is really only one thing to do…vote for another party and not the dems.
Well - I’m still waiting to see what the future holds. I may concede that strategically this may be the best move the R’s could have made, that they are waiting to win the next election to show their mandate.
I’m just tired of them trotting out the conservative Christian vote and there seemingly be no “payback”. Am I crazy or are we being exploited? 😦
 
40.png
gilliam:
We will see how it plays out. So far they have gotten all the judges they have wanted since this agreement.
I wouldn’t be at all surpised if they philibuster soon… :rolleyes:
 
40.png
TPJCatholic:
Jennifer,

There is really only one thing to do…vote for another party and not the dems.
Right. Vote your “conscience” and elect democrats by default. Brilliant tactic. It’s simple math. If the current vote is repubs 51, dems 48 and others 1; then taking 5 from the repubs and adding it to others is a dem victory.

Unfortunately, neither of the two major parties is going to perfectly fit your ideology, but the only pragmatic choice for a conservative today is to vote republican. If you want the party to better fit your views, work hard and continue to be vocal. It’s the only way.
 
rlg,

I completely disagree. So long as faithful Catholics keep taking lukewarm prolife candidates, then we will continue to get luekwarm results. We all know what God says about lukewarmeness.

The repubs have shown they do not deserve the authority WE the people have them. We canot walk through life being afraid that the dems might get into power, they already have power because they managed to scare the repubs into a deal that they never should have agreed to.

I wonder when Catholics will begin to realize that neither of the major parties support their views.
 
40.png
TPJCatholic:
rlg,

I completely disagree. So long as faithful Catholics keep taking lukewarm prolife candidates, then we will continue to get luekwarm results. We all know what God says about lukewarmeness.

The repubs have shown they do not deserve the authority WE the people have them. We canot walk through life being afraid that the dems might get into power, they already have power because they managed to scare the repubs into a deal that they never should have agreed to.

I wonder when Catholics will begin to realize that neither of the major parties support their views.
TPJ,

I wasn’t speaking out of fear, only reality. If I vote for the best Catholic, pro-life candidate in, you name it, the Libertarian party, Reform party, Constitution party, etc.; history shows that I am throwing my vote to one of the two major parties. There has not been a successful 3rd party in our nation’s history (and I mean real 3rd party, because the Republican Party was formed from the Whigs which were all but non-existant in Lincoln’s election).

I’m not in fear of the Dems winning, I just know that, despite the flaws, the Repubs further the cause for life issues. Things don’t happen as fast as I would like them to, but there is movement. Remember also, it was only 7 Republicans who killed the Nuclear Option. Why hold the whole party accountable for that? Work instead, to elect better Republicans in their primaries.

Best Regards,

Robert.
 
I am dissapointed that stronger more aggressive action was not taken, but am withholding my opinion to see what happens with pro-life judicial nominations this term. I e-mailed both my senator’s, Lamar Alexandar and Bill Frist, about my dissapointment and my expectations from them.

As far as voting, I must vote Catholic. In other words, I must vote for the person I believe will take the most positive action or prevent the most negative action regarding the 5-non-negotiable Catholic issues (abortion, euthansia, embryonic stem cell research, human cloning, and heterosexual marriage) followed by lesser important Catholic issues. If one looks at what Bush has done regarding these issues vs what whould have happened if Kerry had taken office, Bush was an excellent choice…given the same choices today, Bush would still be the best choice. I assure you that if Kerry were in office, the judicial nominees to the highest court would all be against ALL 5 NON-NEGOTIABLE ISSUES. Further, embryonic stem cell research would be the norm by the end of his term. Thus, we must look at 2 things – who should we put into office and who should we keep out!

Love & peace in Christ,
Bob
 
rlg,

First, we are supposed to vote as Catholics, which means we should only put people in office that adhere to to most important teachings we hold–unless there is no person who holds those truths, then all bets are off.

Second, the gop has not saved one american baby from being slaughtered through abortion. They have talked a great game and they have passed a few fake laws…yet nothing of teeth. The PB bill was a joke and the gop knew that…they passed it knowing that a judge would overturn it…they did it for the sake of gaining political capital.

Third, those seven gop senators are a scary bunch and they are being led by the increasingly scary John McCain. If during the next election cycle we voted in enough gop people to make the gop hold 60+ votes, they still would not be able to stop the dems because of those seven renegades. We need to wake-up now before we go through another cycle of wishful thinking.

Fourth, I strongly reject the notion that a vote for a third party candidate is a vote for the dems–that is political fear mongering at its worse and will cause us to never have a party that truly cares about life. We are called to be brave, not afraid. If we vote for a third party candidate, then we are voting for the third party candidate–it simply means that we consider the dems and the repubs to be unworthy of our vote. What happens then does not really matter in terms of our conscience, because we must TRY to direct the culture back towards Godly behaivors.

I agree that theere are some good people in the senate…yet the point is we must show our leaders that Catholics will not vote for them unless they are unshakeably commited to ridding our land of legal abortions…period, end of story, no middle ground. Jesus never compromised and we should not either.

***"'I know your works: you are neither cold nor hot. Would that you were cold or hot! So, because you are lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spew you out of my mouth. ***
[Revelation 3:15-16 RSV-CE]
 
Dear TPJCatholic: I agree with you that we should vote into office politicians who come closest to Catholic values. I take it further ( I think you’d agree) – we should keep out politicians who will take society further away from Catholic values. However, the baisops agree as does this Catholic Answers, that all issues are not the same; abortion, euthansia, embryonic stem cell resesarch,human cloning, and heterosexual marriage take precidence over other things. I dissagree with you regarding what Bush administration has accomplished towards this values and prevented from deterioration of these unnegotiable Catholic values. I think if you’d look at the overall picture and the statistics carefully, you would agree that the state of these Catholic values would be further removed from society if Kerry had been elected. I also disagree that we should vote for a 3rd party when we are sure that to do so would only aid a candidate like Kerry. However, I am open to debate on this as I would frequently like to support such candidates because they better represent my values.

I am waiting to see what these next few years really bring or not. In the meantime, I will actively voice my positions to my elected representatives and urge all citizens to do the same.

In Christ,
Bob
 
40.png
TPJCatholic:
Fourth, I strongly reject the notion that a vote for a third party candidate is a vote for the dems–that is political fear mongering at its worse and will cause us to never have a party that truly cares about life. We are called to be brave, not afraid. If we vote for a third party candidate, then we are voting for the third party candidate–it simply means that we consider the dems and the repubs to be unworthy of our vote. What happens then does not really matter in terms of our conscience, because we must TRY to direct the culture back towards Godly behaivors.

I agree that theere are some good people in the senate…yet the point is we must show our leaders that Catholics will not vote for them unless they are unshakeably commited to ridding our land of legal abortions…period, end of story, no middle ground. Jesus never compromised and we should not either.
Please explain what would happen if you got, lets say for argument, all Republican Catholics to vote for your perfect, Catholic third-party candidate. Better yet, let’s say you get all Catholics (not likely to happen since all Catholics don’t believe the same things unfortunately). How is this going to work? Do you think you could garner enough votes for a successful defeat of both parties? If you’re going to accuse me of fear mongering, you’re going to have to explain the logic behind your actions.

Reality is not fear mongering. Even Teddy Roosevelt failed with his Bull Moose party, and he was a popular, former president.
 
rlg,

It is fear mongering to tell people that they are throwing away their vote if they do not vote gop. It is that simple.

If all Catholics voted for prolife candidates (there is no such thing as a perfect candidate…nice try though), then abortion would soon become a thing of the past. We would see 70,000,000 people stand a say that no-one gets our vote unless they fight for life. Couple thaqt with the strong Protestant life vote and it would be an unvoidable re-direction of our laws.

Now, we both know getting all Catholics to vote one way is impossible for us. Yet, we have to try to change the culture. I was all for voting for the gop and George Bush, because I too felt they offered the best chance of saving lives…yet the only REAL difference between the gop and the dems is the strength of their prolife rhetoric. There is only one way to get the message across–toss the bums out of office.
 
trailblazer,

The proof of faith lies in the works (as we know from Abraham’s example).

The GOP talks an absolutely wonderful game, and they have passed laws that on the surface appeared to be prolife…yet the GOP knew that those laws would not past a judges discernment.

As far as talk, the Bush admin and the GOP is far better than the dems…yet in terms of real advancement, we are no further no than we were five years ago and now that the GOP has caved on the senate deal, we might never advance.

The GOP, imo, has one more shot. That is when there is a supreme court vacancy–we’ll see for the final time whether or not they are actually prolife. Remember something important, this nation is fickle, the GOP will not control things much longer, it will swing back to the dems and it has every chance of becoming a Clinton White House in 08.

That is why good Catholics need to make it clear that no anti-life people deserve our votes, and talk is cheap. They either produce, or we toss em’ out. They are OUR servants…not the other way around.
 
40.png
TPJCatholic:
rlg,

It is fear mongering to tell people that they are throwing away their vote if they do not vote gop. It is that simple.

If all Catholics voted for prolife candidates (there is no such thing as a perfect candidate…nice try though), then abortion would soon become a thing of the past. We would see 70,000,000 people stand a say that no-one gets our vote unless they fight for life. Couple thaqt with the strong Protestant life vote and it would be an unvoidable re-direction of our laws.

Now, we both know getting all Catholics to vote one way is impossible for us. Yet, we have to try to change the culture. I was all for voting for the gop and George Bush, because I too felt they offered the best chance of saving lives…yet the only REAL difference between the gop and the dems is the strength of their prolife rhetoric. There is only one way to get the message across–toss the bums out of office.
And there would be an end to poverty, no crime, etc. Best of luck.

I do agree with you that we have to change the culture, but your way will fail to help.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top