D
DaveBj
Guest
Jala has said she’s not interested in marrying again; the question is moot.This doesn’t sound right. This is a matter I would recommending discussing with an attorney.
Jala has said she’s not interested in marrying again; the question is moot.This doesn’t sound right. This is a matter I would recommending discussing with an attorney.
My wife was not interested in marrying again nor having anymore children either. Then she met me.Jala has said she’s not interested in marrying again; the question is moot.
**My parish priest said that is wrong to marry a divorce woman because we’re commiting adultery. I agree. Also, he said a catholic should not marry a woman with kids, even if she never got married. This doesn’t seem right… or am I wrong?
Dear Marytk–Is it better for the kids to be fatherless?
Dear ValPal–My wife was not interested in marrying again nor having anymore children either. Then she met me.![]()
Thanks…much appreciated.Dear ValPal–
Many blessings to you and your wife!
Jala
Might be a state law thing, or perhaps something that can be legally specified in a will or trust. I would think, though, that the policyholder gets to choose who is the beneficiary in most cases, but a good family lawyer would know.Actually, I believe that who gets the life insurance is specified by the policy, not by a will. In any case, although the spouse is considered to be the “normal” first beneficiary, that can be overridden by specifying another “first beneficiary” in the policy itself.
The idea of a man marrying a woman who already has children always reminds me of this Brad Paisley song (yeah, I know it’s country music, but watch the video anyway).
youtube.com/watch?v=BjO1F6oCab8
My wife was not interested in marrying again nor having anymore children either. Then she met me.![]()
+1Dear ValPal–
Many blessings to you and your wife!
Jala
snap! :dmy wife was not interested in marrying again nor having anymore children either. Then she met me.![]()
Did he say why someone shouldn’t marry a woman with children?My parish priest said that is wrong to marry a divorce woman because we’re commiting adultery. I agree. Also, he said a catholic should not marry a woman with kids, even if she never got married. This doesn’t seem right… or am I wrong?
Maybe they were talking about your retirement fund? Or 401K? Because it is true that your spouse automatically gets that upon your death. But life insurance doesn’t ask about your spouse, they distribute based only on the beneficiaries.Dear DaveBj–
I was told *by my insurance carrier *(because I was once engaged to be married, I checked) that it didn’t matter what my current policy said (of course, I already had named my children as my beneficiaries), or what my will said, or what my personal wishes were: if I were to remarry, my husband immediately and automatically becomes sole 100% beneficiary. This overrides anything else in my policy or in my will.
The only way around it would be for him to willingly sign forms, after the marriage, relinquishing that right; then I could re-name my children as sole beneficiaries. Why should I allow my children’s future to rest in someone else’s hands?
I do not know if this is a policy of that specific insurance company, or the state I live in, or what…
Jala
I like to hear stories like this. About three years ago, I dated a single mother with a well deserved annulment. I do miss her company. She was smart, hard working, spiritual, funny, and attractive.I am glad my Dh was open to my young child. I let him know from the start that we were a pkg deal.
They formed a wonderful bond as father n child.
Upon the request of my child for an 18th birthday present the last name was legally changed to that of my Dh.
This scenario is not for all but it can work very well for some
On one of my first dates with my wife, I told her that I saw her and our son as a package deal, and that the issue wasn’t open to discussion. I believe the priest the OP mentioned gave poor and uncharitable advice. Had I listened to any of those who gave me similar advice when I was dating my wife, I would have missed out on a strong, wonderful marriage and five (so far) wonderful kids.I am glad my Dh was open to my young child. I let him know from the start that we were a pkg deal.
It is not adultery to marry a divorced woman who has obtained a decree of nullity, because the Church has established that the woman was never validly married. In fact, it isn’t that unusual for people who are eligible for an annulment under civil law to get a divorce, instead, because sometimes the paperwork is easier. (I mean that some people who are divorced were actually in situations that the secular state authorities would even have declared null marriages, had the people elected to go to the work and expense to prove it.)My parish priest said that is wrong to marry a divorce woman because we’re commiting adultery. I agree. Also, he said a catholic should not marry a woman with kids, even if she never got married. This doesn’t seem right… or am I wrong?
Thank you - that is good advice. I’m familiar a little bit with the annulment process because I was a witness in a case a few years ago. Being a witness, I was required to turn in a packet to the Tribunal.From my experience in directing RCIA, it is not unusual for a priest not to know the details of the annulment process. If one has a problem, one should consult with a priest who is familiar with the Tribunal and its processes.