C
chicago
Guest
You probably need to start networking with some of the Catholic based arts and entertainment apostolates, Andy, to see what kind of insight or support they can offer in this regard.
Not really – depends on what you’re looking for. There’s free webhosts out there that you can use. I doubt such a site would use up a lot of bandwidth - unless you were using a lot of pictures.Maintaining a website costs both time and money, no?
In the wake of GTA4 and the discussion that game has inspired here (and given the fact that I’m now beginning my summer holiday from university life), I think that bumping this thread now should yield some fruitful discussion. Hopefully this isn’t against any forum rules; if so, my apologies to the moderators.BUMP
Even priests can be wrong. They’re not infallible. Just like when some priest goes out on a limb and generalizes by saying that video games aren’t good unless they’re WWII video games because you go around and shoot Germans and Japanese and sometimes Italians. Even worse is that he seems to consider FPS or 3PS to be the only video game genre in existence, when there are other genres of games as well, and they all don’t involve shooting or killing. He’s not the only one, though; ask a room full of 40-something moms what they think about video games, and most or all will say that they are “too violent” because they have this idea stuck in their heads that every game is Doom or Duke Nukem.I remember once hearing Father Mitch Pacwa on the EWTN radio really sort of not recommending video games, except perhaps some WWII type games, because obviously the “killing” that goes on in those types of games is not murder but justifiable homicide because it’s being done in the defense of the nation.
So, probably war video games that portray a just war scenario, like Medal of Honor, would be OK.
But I would have to say that games like Grand Theft Auto and Godfather are bad games; not to sound like a jerk, but if you don’t instantaneously agree with that statement, I would seriously not become a Catholic video game reviewer.
I invoke the “frog in boiling water” story: a frog can be boiled alive in water if the water is heated slowly, whereas if the frog is placed in the boiling water initially, he’ll jump right out.It’s silly to think that video gamers are bereft of a moral conscience. We can’t play a video game that involves shooting other people because we don’t know better to not do something like that in the real world. We are unable to distinguish the difference between reality and fantasy.
Absolutely true, but not all games are shooters (just as not all movies are violent). This is just another reason why such a resource is needed, IMO. Games are just as diverse as movies, music, and literature. If this is understood to be true, they deserve their own outlet where Catholics can engage them as they do other forms of media, no?I invoke the “frog in boiling water” story: a frog can be boiled alive in water if the water is heated slowly, whereas if the frog is placed in the boiling water initially, he’ll jump right out.
I think these types of games are insidious. Not necessarily dangerous, but probably not a good idea. (BTW, my brother loves these types of games.I even enjoy a FPS when I go to the arcade, but maybe I shouldn’t.
)
One might have to honestly ask themselves why they find these types of games entertaining, and discern whether the answer to that question brings them closer or further away from God.
I think whether something done in a video game is good or bad is subjective. If you’re really optimistic, prostitution in the GTA series is the same thing as staying in an inn in Final Fantasy, except the action itself is incorrect and scandalous. I’m not justifying anything in GTA, but does it really matter whether you’re shooting cops or Wehrmacht military police guarding a Panzer depot in a video game?I invoke the “frog in boiling water” story: a frog can be boiled alive in water if the water is heated slowly, whereas if the frog is placed in the boiling water initially, he’ll jump right out.
I think these types of games are insidious. Not necessarily dangerous, but probably not a good idea. (BTW, my brother loves these types of games.I even enjoy a FPS when I go to the arcade, but maybe I shouldn’t.
)
One might have to honestly ask themselves why they find these types of games entertaining, and discern whether the answer to that question brings them closer or further away from God.
See, that’s exactly the kind of discussion I want to engage by starting a website!I think whether something done in a video game is good or bad is subjective. If you’re really optimistic, prostitution in the GTA series is the same thing as staying in an inn in Final Fantasy, except the action itself is incorrect and scandalous. I’m not justifying anything in GTA, but does it really matter whether you’re shooting cops or Wehrmacht military police guarding a Panzer depot in a video game?
MESSAGE OF THE HOLY FATHER BENEDICT XVI
FOR THE 41st WORLD COMMUNICATIONS DAY
Code:Theme: "Children and the Media: A Challenge for Education"
Code:May 20, 2007
Code:Any trend to produce programmes and products - including animated films and video games - which in the name of entertainment exalt violence and portray anti-social behaviour or the trivialization of human sexuality is a perversion, all the more repulsive when these programmes are directed at children and adolescents. How could one explain this ‘entertainment’ to the countless innocent young people who actually suffer violence, exploitation and abuse? In this regard, all would do well to reflect on the contrast between Christ who “put his arms around [the children] laid his hands on them and gave them his blessing” (Mk 10:16) and the one who “leads astray … these little ones” for whom "it would be better … if a millstone were hung round his neck" (Lk 17:2). Again I appeal to the leaders of the media industry to educate and encourage producers to safeguard the common good, to uphold the truth, to protect individual human dignity and promote respect for the needs of the family.
B16 doesn’t say that it’s a sin exactly, but he does condemn games that “exalt violence and portray anti-social behavior or the trivialization of human sexuality” as a perversion (my note, that is very strong moral language).
Answer: Try the Catechism of the Catholic ChurchI only play video games that are approved by my conscience, but as a new Catholic I worry that my conscience isn’t formed correctly. Anyone know of more concrete guides as to what the church teaches?
Actually, one of the ways in which the military figured out how to desensitize soldier trainees in order to get them to shoot and kill their fellow man on another army was to have them play games similarly designed.A soldier who is serving and defending his nation in a Just War is not committing murder when the soldier is killing the enemy.
The killing is morally Justifiable Homicide because it is necessary in order to defend his nation or people.
It is certainly proven out all too often on the internet.There’s an old saying that no one wants to become a priest, but everyone wants to be a Pope.
You forgot to mention the great high school of which he’s an alumnus.Also, Father Pacwa is not just “some priest.” He is a Jesuit and an EWTN priest who has been in TV and radio for over 20 years. He’s one of our best Catholic priests.
I can tell that you base these claims on hearsay. First, games in which players play as criminals of any sort are in the minority. “Shooter” games, both first and third person, are commonly from the perspective of characters who are the good guys. In Doom you’re a space marine literally fighting the hordes of hell. In Wolfenstein 3D you fight Nazi zealots. More recent games follow this trend as well. In addition to the numerous WWII-themed games, there are games like SOCOM where you play as a US Navy SEAL, America’s Army as a soldier, and SWAT 3 and 4 as a police officer. If I remember right, Gordon Freeman from Counterstrike is a good guy, as is Master Chief from Halo. Games like GTA where you play as a criminal or someone who commits morally deficient acts are strictly in the minority. In fact, I can’t think of very many games in which the player controls such a character, and those other games you mentioned weren’t considered as good as the recent GTA installments.Andy,
Well, I guess you could go forward and do this if you want to.
However, I think the video game industry and Catholicism, on a whole, IMO, and especially with the more popular games, are moving morally and culturally in separate directions.
I think these games featuring wanton violence, for instance Godfather, The Club, Mafia, and most of the more popular games, really aren’t games that Catholics should play.
You’re shooting someone who’s going to shoot you if you don’t do anything. And besides, you’re not shooting an actual person that God himself made.I mean you’re thinking you are going to shoot the guy or kill him in the game. And thoughts can be a sin.
Please stop. You sound like this guy now.I understand Larowyn’s point that it is just a game. But these games no longer look like Pac Man.
Realistic graphics do not make something real life. And you’re generalizing again here, so please stop.The Game Designers try very hard with the graphics and construction to create a very realistic looking setting and characters. They try to simulate real life.
facepalmAnd yes, the game itself is a virtual reality, but it is also a part of our human reality, and we are still humans while playing it. And you are still sitting in the real world while you are playing the game.
Load of bull.Look, most of these games, especially the ones not designed for children, are all about shooting or killing or stealing something.
Don’t patronize me. I’m a big boy, I can tell what’s immoral in a game and what’s not, and I know from experience with many, many games and countless hours of gaming that very few games involve the player committing immoral actions. I can also tell that you don’t have nearly the same experience with video games that I do, and you’ve probably only heard about those few games where immoral actions are the foundation of the game.And, yes, Larowyn, I hate to sound like I’m impinging on your freedom to game (our secular society tells you things that are morally objectionable are ok because businesses like gaming companies and other businesses can make $$ off you and everyone else), but, I think if you apply some moral analysis to the games, you’ll see what I’m talking about.
A soldier who is serving and defending his nation in a Just War is not committing murder when the soldier is killing the enemy.
The killing is morally Justifiable Homicide because it is necessary in order to defend his nation or people.
Now, if a soldier just wantonly kills a civilian or executes POWs for no reason, then that would not be morally Justifiable, and it would be murder.
A game like Medal of Honor simulates history.
Then I imagine that if Father Pacwa were to play games enough to make an informed statement, he would most likely attest that very few games actually promote immoral actions or unjustified violence.That, I think, was sort of Father Pacwa’s point.
I’m sure they giggle with delight at the thought of the many thousands of souls they are sending to hell.I’m not sure what goes through the minds of some of these Game Producers.
Jack Thompson has been a lawyer since the 70s, is a well-known Christian Conservative, and crusades against immoral content in the media, but that still doesn’t stop him from making ridiculous generalizations about video games and video gamers based on school shootings and an entire subgenre of mostly unpopular plot-driven third person shooters from the perspectives of criminals and gangsters.Also, Father Pacwa is not just “some priest.” He is a Jesuit and an EWTN priest who has been in TV and radio for over 20 years. He’s one of our best Catholic priests.
And, likely, one day soon we’ll have more.That said, a priest or religious as an advisor for the website/blog would probably be a good idea. I know a priest who plays GTA4…