S
Shaolen
Guest
Im currently in a discussion with my brother about Jesus establishing the authority of the Pope. I’d like to get some of your insight on how to deal with what he says.heres what we have so far.
I asked “If it could be proven to you that Jesus established this authority for his church would you still reject it?”
He stated “I do not reject anything. I made a choice”
Then I said “Oh no I meant if it could be proven to you that he did give such an authority to one man would you embrace that idea?”
Then he replied "Why would it need to be proven? If it was so important as you make it sound, why does the bible not devote more time to explaining it? Why doesn’t it just plainly say it? Because it does not. Jesus does however plainly say, "Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life; he who believes in Me will live even if he dies, 26and everyone who lives and believes in Me will never die. The disciples of Christ were equals. No one had any more authority or power over the other.
Then I said "Ok well it would need to be proven because as of right now you don’t believe that idea. And the Bible does in fact show this authority. Matthew 16:18: “I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church and the gates of hell will not prevail against it. I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.” He only gives the Keys to one of the apostles. Also through out the new testament we see that Peter takes a leadership role among the apostles. So they weren’t just equals but there was a clear head”
Then he said "So he gave him a job to do. That doesn’t mean he’s any closer to God than any of the others.
Or anyone else on this earth for that matter.
God wants YOU to be his disciple"
I responded “No it doesn’t mean that he’s closer to God but it means Jesus gave him that job. An office that he held to uphold the truth of what he taught so that the church would have sound doctrine and could be taught”
he said “Well that’s great but we are all God’s children. We can all go to him and talk to him directly at any time. If you want to do it through a Priest, that is your choice and that is fine. But he also doesn’t mind if you talk to him directly and choose to have a direct relationship with him. In fact I think he wants that more than anything.”
I said "Well we do pray to God directly as well. But I think what you’re referring to as through priests is the administering of his grace. The forgiveness of sins etc.
But that’s a little off the subject.
So if God made a church and made an office to uphold his true teaching, shouldn’t we follow the teachings of the church who to this day keeps that office or authority?If it was God’s will for the church to have this structure and this authority then I sam amen. And its easy to see why such an authority is needed. If you take a look at what the idea of not having this authority has done to the church you have chaos. Since this idea came about (around the 1500’s) we now have thousands of different churches teaching different things. How can we find the truth in such a system like that? How can we find the true meaning of what Jesus taught us. Surely he did mean something that wasn’t up for just anyone to twist. To insure that his teaching’s true meaning could be taught he gave the church (his apostles) this authority and in particular to St Peter"
So far he hasn’t replied but ill update when he does. Anything you guys could add or suggest?
I asked “If it could be proven to you that Jesus established this authority for his church would you still reject it?”
He stated “I do not reject anything. I made a choice”
Then I said “Oh no I meant if it could be proven to you that he did give such an authority to one man would you embrace that idea?”
Then he replied "Why would it need to be proven? If it was so important as you make it sound, why does the bible not devote more time to explaining it? Why doesn’t it just plainly say it? Because it does not. Jesus does however plainly say, "Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life; he who believes in Me will live even if he dies, 26and everyone who lives and believes in Me will never die. The disciples of Christ were equals. No one had any more authority or power over the other.
Then I said "Ok well it would need to be proven because as of right now you don’t believe that idea. And the Bible does in fact show this authority. Matthew 16:18: “I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church and the gates of hell will not prevail against it. I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.” He only gives the Keys to one of the apostles. Also through out the new testament we see that Peter takes a leadership role among the apostles. So they weren’t just equals but there was a clear head”
Then he said "So he gave him a job to do. That doesn’t mean he’s any closer to God than any of the others.
Or anyone else on this earth for that matter.
God wants YOU to be his disciple"
I responded “No it doesn’t mean that he’s closer to God but it means Jesus gave him that job. An office that he held to uphold the truth of what he taught so that the church would have sound doctrine and could be taught”
he said “Well that’s great but we are all God’s children. We can all go to him and talk to him directly at any time. If you want to do it through a Priest, that is your choice and that is fine. But he also doesn’t mind if you talk to him directly and choose to have a direct relationship with him. In fact I think he wants that more than anything.”
I said "Well we do pray to God directly as well. But I think what you’re referring to as through priests is the administering of his grace. The forgiveness of sins etc.
But that’s a little off the subject.
So if God made a church and made an office to uphold his true teaching, shouldn’t we follow the teachings of the church who to this day keeps that office or authority?If it was God’s will for the church to have this structure and this authority then I sam amen. And its easy to see why such an authority is needed. If you take a look at what the idea of not having this authority has done to the church you have chaos. Since this idea came about (around the 1500’s) we now have thousands of different churches teaching different things. How can we find the truth in such a system like that? How can we find the true meaning of what Jesus taught us. Surely he did mean something that wasn’t up for just anyone to twist. To insure that his teaching’s true meaning could be taught he gave the church (his apostles) this authority and in particular to St Peter"
So far he hasn’t replied but ill update when he does. Anything you guys could add or suggest?