A dilemma

  • Thread starter Thread starter Meggie18
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope that you understand that if your relative broke his leg at a soccer
game and only you had wheels to drive him to the Emergency Center,
then your missing Mass would not be an issue. You’d drive him to
give assistance in an emergency. You do know that, huh?
Yes, I do know that. I can miss Mass if there’s an emergency. Why do you ask? :confused:
 
A priest I listen to a lot says to never give people what they want… you give them what will truly make them happy.

Sometimes those two things coincide, sometimes they don’t.

At the end of their lives, before God, they won’t be happy and you won’t be happy that you skipped mass for a hockey game.

We love everyone best by loving God first. Then God takes care of the rest. If we love people before God, then even the love we have for the people is spoiled, and if we could see clearly would make no one truly happy at all.

One of the chief spiritual battles… I know you’re just starting… but one of the chief… is against what is called ‘human respect’. That’s what people expect of you, versus what God expects of you. It’s one that comes up again and again in the spiritual life.

And if we want to be truly happy ever after, we have to choose, ‘what makes God happy is what makes everyone truly happy ultimately and what should right now if they saw clearly.’

If feelings are hurt you do your best to deal with that… that’s part of the spiritual battle! Don’t think the devil makes it easy on people… this temptation will come up again and again.

And learning how to navigate it best, through prayer and forethought, is what each person has to develop the virtues to do. 😃
Thank you. This was inspiring. I believe it is the truth. I just wish that my family would understand. 🙂
 
That priest gives some good sermons. 🙂

Thanks be to God.

I will pray for you… Please pray for me and my family too. 🙂

It’s tough I know!
 
Thank you. This was inspiring. I believe it is the truth. I just wish that my family would understand. 🙂
Every time you do something difficult like this, you have something powerful to offer God on their behalf. Keep praying for them and showing them (as much as possible) that doing God’s will is making you truly happy.
 
Yes, I do know that. I can miss Mass if there’s an emergency. Why do you ask? :confused:
I ask because of the obvious confusion in your opening post:

“I don’t know what to do. My cousin really wants me to come and see him play. I’ve tried to tell him that Mass was sacred, but he doesn’t understand. I don’t want him to be disappointed. What do you think I should do? Do you think God would understand if I went to Mass tomorrow, given the circumstances? Or should I go today?”

Meaning, a soccer game is not an emergency.
 
I had the same situation, kind of weeks ago. On the week i celebrated my birthday and i did the wrong choice.

My advice (and yes, im telling this one most of all to myself as a reminder): do choose God first. Always.
You will know that it is a good choice and He should always come first.
 
Meggie18,
I just want to say that I am so so so proud of you for doing the right thing, even though it was difficult and you knew you were upsetting your family. That is a difficult thing to do, espeically for a young adult - but you did it. You put God first, and I’m certain He was pleased.

I pray that things will get easier with your family.

God bless you!
 
I don’t mean to be disrespectful, but your comment hurt me a bit. Who are you to decide what time is late and what time is not? Some people need a lot of sleep to be able to get through the day. I suffer from anemia, so I’m always tired.

And yes, it is difficult that my parents don’t practice the faith, especially because I’m only nineteen and still living at home. That’s why I’m often confused about what to do regarding faith matters.

I went to mass two hours ago. I tried to talk to God about everything that happened today, but I couldn’t help but being angry. I’m angry at my mother for disagreeing with my decision, and I’m really mad against the commandment to keep Sunday holy. I’m also scared that my little cousin will like me less. And I love that little boy, he’s my ray of sunshine. I tried to talk to him and to explain what the situation wa,s but he didn’t seem really interested.

I would like to explain properly to my mom why I chose to do this, but I don’t know how.
Sorry Meggie. I’ve raised three children and went by what what was normal for them and all the other teens I know.
 
Yes, I know. But it’s incredibly hard. My family, especially my mother, are angry at me. They don’t understand my decision. It’s often like that. And 'm tired of feeling guilty and crying.
Is there a mass closer to where the hockey game is? That might be an option.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top