A man dies, his son lives on. What scripture?

  • Thread starter Thread starter AlanFromWichita
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

AlanFromWichita

Guest
I’ve tried to find a particular passage in the Bible that I’m quite sure i once read, but after several years of trying from time to time, I haven’t been able to find it. Can anyone help me find it?

It’s possible I read it somewhere other than the Bible, but I don’t think that was the case.

Anyway, it says something to the effect of: When a man who has a son dies, it is like he didn’t die because he leaves another in this world to carry on.

Something like that.

Anybody?

TIA,
Alan
 
Blood, Sweat and Tears. In their song “And When I Die” Lead singer David Clayton Thomas sang, in the last verse “And when I die, and when I’m dead, dead and gone, there’ll be one child born in our world to carry on, to carry on…”
 
Blood, Sweat and Tears. In their song “And When I Die” Lead singer David Clayton Thomas sang, in the last verse “And when I die, and when I’m dead, dead and gone, there’ll be one child born in our world to carry on, to carry on…”
Nice. Thank you for that memory! 👍

I’m not convinced that’s the thing I was thinking of, but is certainly on-topic!! 🙂

Alan
 
No verse like that comes to my mind. But Psalm 127:4 compares children to arrows in a quiver.

That brings to mind an image, that when they are grown they go out into the world like arrows from a bow.
 
OK, try these two then:

2 Samuel 7:12 “And when your days are over and you fall asleep with your ancestors, I shall appoint your heir, your own son to succeed you (and I shall make his sovereignty secure.”

1 Chronicles 17:11 “And when your days are over and you have gone to join your ancestors, I shall appoint your heir – who will be one of your sons – to succeed you, and I shall make his sovereignty secure.”
 
OK, try these two then:

2 Samuel 7:12 “And when your days are over and you fall asleep with your ancestors, I shall appoint your heir, your own son to succeed you (and I shall make his sovereignty secure.”

1 Chronicles 17:11 “And when your days are over and you have gone to join your ancestors, I shall appoint your heir – who will be one of your sons – to succeed you, and I shall make his sovereignty secure.”
Those are very close man, but not quite was I tendency mr.

Maybe it wasn’t in the bible, after all. …

Alan
 
You are probably remembering Sirach 30:4:

At the father’s death, he will seem not dead,
since he leaves after him one like himself, (NAB)
 
You are probably remembering Sirach 30:4:

At the father’s death, he will seem not dead,
since he leaves after him one like himself, (NAB)
Bingo! That was it!

Thank you all for your thoughts … I can use all of them in designing how I explain this to my son.

Alan
 
Those are very close man, but not quite was I tendency mr.

Maybe it wasn’t in the bible, after all. …

Alan
I just read this post of mine from earlier. Did I really type this? It’s like alien language or something.

I meant to say this: Those come close to what I was looking for, but they don’t sound like they are the exact thing I’m remembering.

Again, thank you all.

Alan
 
I just posted this as my facebook status:
40.png
Alan:
Sirach 30:3-6
He who educates his son makes his enemy jealous, and shows his delight in him among his friends. At the father’s death, he will seem not dead, since he leaves after him one like himself, Whom he looks upon through life with joy, and even in death, without regret: The avenger he leaves against his foes, and the one to repay his friends with kindness.
Alan
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top