Hi there,
Until a few months ago, I had not been for Mass for a very long time.
It’s a difficult thing to do for the first few times. Like it has been mentioned, I was scared of sticking out, I was worried about not knowing what to do, I was anxious that other people would wonder who I was and what I was doing there, and I also felt that I was in no way worthy to be there.
I managed to contact the priest of my local church through e-mail and explained my situation, he was really kind and gave me some advice, I met him and he showed me around the church prior to me going to Mass, that helped me a lot as I then knew the practicalities of the lay -out of the seats etc.
I still am not fully familiar with all the practices etc, I just follow those around me, the first few times I attended I was particularly nervous about how out of place I would look when I didn’t go for Communion.
Once you go a few times, I am sure you will start to feel a little more comfortable. I like to sit in the back half of the church, I like to arrive in good time so that I can find my sit and have a bit of quiet time to gather my thoughts. I have felt immense peace whilst at Mass and feel that I am no longer so nervous and anxious about going, I look forward to it every week.
I know how daunting it must feel to you now, but I hope you can get to Mass soon.
God bless.
