A Modesty Question For Women- Skirts

• Thread starter Thread starter CuriositasEtFidem
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I assume that’s just half joking hyperbole and he’s not actually saying he’s going to murder someone.

No, he didn’t mention murder. But he comes across as a roughneck who believes in what he wrote. As a woman, those attitudes are offensive to me.

men seem to get shamed for saying they’d stand up for their wives
It’s not the “standing up for one’s wife” part I struggle with, it’s the implication that the way she dresses would be responsible for him going to jail.

I’ve spent not inconsiderable time in therapy trying to get rid of the belief that I’m responsible for the way others react, so probably that pushes a sensitive button too.

It’s not the “standing up for one’s wife” part I struggle with, it’s the implication that the way she dresses would be responsible for him going to jail.
No, I get that. And I’m not co-signing everything he wrote. It’s just there’s often an undercurrent of shaming men as meatheads if they mention they’d confront someone who insulted their wife. Obviously, you don’t want to be an idiot who goes around with his chest out looking for a fight.

Last edited:
I’ve spent not inconsiderable time in therapy trying to get rid of the belief that I’m responsible for the way others react, so probably that pushes a sensitive button too.
Correct. There’s also this underlying subtext that what a woman wears is going to make men unable to control themselves in a variety of ways. Like, if you wear something that your husband deems inappropriate, it will automatically result in other men leering at you and making catcalls or worse (which such men could easily choose NOT to do) and this in turn will automatically result in your husband having to get into an argument or a physical fight with those men (which your husband could easily choose NOT to do).

There’s also the subtext that the woman is too foolish or has so little self-respect that she can’t figure out herself how to dress so her husband has to tell her, and explain to her the “consequences” of her dressing in the “wrong” manner.

It’s basically acting like your wife is a silly child and that you and all other men have no control over your reactions and actions.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back