A protestant's observations of first Mass

  • Thread starter Thread starter Tommy999
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
So Glad you came to Mass - and hope you will come again…
– At times I had trouble concentrating (and I think other parishoners did too) due to a couple of loud crying babies whose parents tried unsuccessfully for several minutes to keep them quiet before they finally took them out of the sanctuary. I wasn’t used to this because at my church it is mandatory for parents with babies to put them in the nursery or go to a “quiet room” with audio where they can hear the proceedings from the sanctuary. This was no biggie, just a little annoying.

– I actually saw a teenage girl dressed in gym shorts and sandals. I realize it is summer and Christ is more concerned with the heart than our dress, but that seemed a little disrespectful to me. But then again my sons sometimes tell me I’m an old fart who needs to loosen up more. 😉
Yes such things can be annoying…but such small crosses should be bearable.
Questions/Concerns:
– During the Eucharist, I noticed a couple of altar boys were offered the cup but did not take it. Two of them did but two others didn’t. I wonder why?
It’s optional. One receives the entire body, blood, soul and divinity of Christ under either species so not partaking the cup is really not a problem.
– I noticed that there were a few different chalices from which all the faithful would drink. In between people, and there were lots of them, the servers would wipe off the chalice for the next person to drink.
What happens if someone is sick? Are they excused from the Eucharist or is some other provision made? Otherwise, it seems possible that colds, step throat, etc could get passed around easily from this method. I realize this is a pretty mundane question and concern, but it made me wonder a little bit. At my church, everyone gets an individual little throwaway plastic cup. Not as ceremonious, but more hygenic, I would think. Once again, no biggie – just curious.
Others have addressed this and one even stated positively that no one has ever gotten sick from the cup…Don’t know where his data is to support such a statement but…Oh well. 🤷

Two points here…One is, if you are sick, you simply abstain from the cup out of love for your fellow parishioners. Second, if the flu is “going around” our parish will simply not offer the cup until things get better.

Finally, I agree with those who say they do not fear getting sick on the Lord’s blood. And even if I did pick up a bug from someone else, it would be no different than getting it off of a doorknob or some other place that many people touch. It would simply be a chance to offer up something to the Lord.
Thanks, everyone, for your prayers. It was a lot less stressful than I had imagined. Plus, I was impressed by all the readings from Scripture. In a way, it was sort of like a protestant service with more bells and whistles (literally, more bells). 🙂 I remembered bells during the Eucharist.
Glad you decided to come. It was wonderful that you met people you use to work with…I’m sure that was a big help.
Yes - Those who accuse the Church of not being “bible based” (or whatever) have not been to a mass and seen just how much scripture there is in it…not just in the readings but all through the prayers.

Peace
James
 
Scott Hahn’s first Mass experience might be of interest to you.

It is pretty interesting.

There are a lot of things humans do that bother me too, especially dress. Like don’t wear shirts or shorts that have writing on them!

When I start getting distracted though, I try and double my efforts to stay focused on the priest.

Kids don’t bother me in the least, but I have a lot of them and know the chaos it is for the parents, so I feel for the parents when kids are being kids where adults want them to be like adults.

It’s important to remember Jesus was less interested in teaching adults when he had the opportunity to be surrounded by kids, he wanted the kids.
 
=Tommy999;12086299]Hi Everyone,
I’m an evangelical inquirer who attended his first Catholic Mass since I had the privilege of attending Midnight Mass in Rome in 1978 with some Catholic friends of mine while studying in Europe. Other than that, I was not aware of what to expect except for what I have gleaned on CAF from you kind folks.
Positive Observations:
– I definitely felt God’s presence. It was palpable, especially during the Eucharist just like folks on CAF had said it would be.
– The reverence of God was also shown by the faithful by bowing, kneeling to pray, and by keeping quiet when they arrived in the sanctuary. This contrasts with my current church environment at which people chat and laugh in the sanctuary before service like they are at Starbucks or something.
– The priest appeared to be genuine and at ease in his homily about the Holy Trinity and I could relate to what he was saying. I was expecting stiffness, pomp and circumstance but got a heart felt talk from what I perceive to be a genuine servant of God who also officiates the various other stuff during the Mass.
– While on my way to Mass (20 minute drive), I was concerned it might be an awkward experience and that I wouldn’t know anyone. However, I discovered that I actually knew the head usher who was also the greeter. I had worked with him at one point in my career and he had been my supervisor for a time. We always got along well. He was pleasantly surprised to see me, as I was to see him. Small world, huh?
– Another man that I knew from work saw me sitting alone on the back row and he and his wfe came and sat next to me.
– At one point, when they had the congregation lay hands on all the fathers in attendance on behalf of Father’s Day tomorrow, a lady saw me without anyone laying their hands on me and she came over to put her hand on my shoulder and pray for me which I thought was very thoughtful, especially since she had to maneuver her way around a bunch of people to get to me.
So Happy to hear about your wonderful experience at Mass.
Negative Observations:
– At times I had trouble concentrating (and I think other parishoners did too) due to a couple of loud crying babies whose parents tried unsuccessfully for several minutes to keep them quiet before they finally took them out of the sanctuary. I wasn’t used to this because at my church it is mandatory for parents with babies to put them in the nursery or go to a “quiet room” with audio where they can hear the proceedings from the sanctuary. This was no biggie, just a little annoying.
My Parish does not have a crying room. I am a single man with no children. And even though I may look in the direction of the crying/ disruptive child, I always smile. I look at that as one of God’s Blessing to us. the small infant crying up to the 2 or 3 years old that is being load does not bother me it feels me with joy. Please do not think I am getting on you I just try to give another way of looking at it. That crying means that there is growth in the parish.
– I actually saw a teenage girl dressed in gym shorts and sandals. I realize it is summer and Christ is more concerned with the heart than our dress, but that seemed a little disrespectful to me. But then again my sons sometimes tell me I’m an old fart who needs to loosen up more. 😉
You are spot on, On this one. One must remember that in all places there is a proper way to dress.
Questions/Concerns:
– During the Eucharist, I noticed a couple of altar boys were offered the cup but did not take it. Two of them did but two others didn’t. I wonder why?
The fullness of the Eucharist is found in each of the Species. Both under the appearance of the Bread and in the Cup. You would only have to receive one to receive it all. Christ is full there in each. They may have had a cold and chose not to. Or for personal reason they choose not to receive from the Cup.
– I noticed that there were a few different chalices from which all the faithful would drink. In between people, and there were lots of them, the servers would wipe off the chalice for the next person to drink.
Yes
What happens if someone is sick? Are they excused from the Eucharist or is some other provision made? Otherwise, it seems possible that colds, step throat, etc. could get passed around easily from this method. I realize this is a pretty mundane question and concern, but it made me wonder a little bit. At my church, everyone gets an individual little throwaway plastic cup. Not as ceremonious, but more hygienic, I would think. Once again, no biggie – just curious.
I have been receiving from the Cup since my first communion. I am a cradle catholic. and I am now 49. I have never caught a cold or any thing from the Cup. remember you are receiving the Blood of Christ Do you think Christ would allow anything that would harm you to be received along with his blood? Also I and others I have talked to will choose not to receive from the Cup if I am sick, not because I believe someone will catch what I have, but because I do not want someone else to not receive because of me. Also remember that any of the precious blood that remains in the cup after communion is consumed by the Priest, so he is drinking after everyone and I know of non that have become ill from it.
Overall, my first Mass in a long time was a positive experience. I plan to go to Father’s Day with my two sons tomorrow at my regular AOG church, at which I am an usher.
Thanks, everyone, for your prayers. It was a lot less stressful than I had imagined. Plus, I was impressed by all the readings from Scripture. In a way, it was sort of like a protestant service with more bells and whistles (literally, more bells). 🙂 I remembered bells during the Eucharist.
Keep coming back.
 
I’ve noticed that several people now have said that they have never caught a cold (or whatever) from the Chalice.

While I am glad that we don’t look to the Chalice as a source of infection should we get a cold…I must say that I know of no empirical evidence to base such a “100%” claim on.

Not trying to pick a fight…For I believe the risk to be extremely minimal too…but the risk being minimal is not the same thing as saying that it never happens.

Peace
James
 
Thanks for the replies, everyone. To Darryl B, the positives very much outweighed the negatives. The negatives were minor annoyances for the most part. For example, the presence of Christ at the Mass was of top importance. I can tell He was there.

In short, I am happy in my current denomination for the most part. However, I related quite well to the sense of reverence I felt at the Catholic Church. Although I can’t partake in the sacraments of the Catholic church, **I find them attractive, especially Confession, **which doesn’t really exist at my church in any formal way. The believer is just supposed to handle that on their own between themselves and God, I guess.

I will continue to attend my regular church but have gained even more respect for the CC and would like to attend Mass again in the near future.
Tommy, can I suggest a couple of things.

First, consider meeting with the local priest. Let him know of your experience and potential interest in the Church.

Second, purchase the book, Catholicsm for Dummies from the dummy series. Written by two priests and approved by their bishop. It will help explain the basics of the faith in an easy to read format. There are many great books out there now aside from this one.

Third, the sacraments, all seven come from Christ to the apostles. They are his way of giving us grace. The Eucharist is the summit of our faith. Reread John Chapter six. Jesus was speaking literally on our needing to eat his body and drink his blood. This is why everyone left him and they said who can take this teaching? Christ let them all go and did not correct them (He always corrected them if they understood him in error). We also have the writings of the early church and we can see this same understanding of scripture. Justin Martyr even describes an early form of the mass, still familiar today in the early to mid second century.

Also, I highly recommend taking an hour and watching this video by Brant Pitre, a Catholic theologian. He has a book under the same title, Jesus and the Jewish Roots do the Eucharist. The talk is about the Eucharist and why the early Jewish converts so readily believed in the Real Presence.

Prayer for you today.

PnP
 
I’ve noticed that several people now have said that they have never caught a cold (or whatever) from the Chalice.

While I am glad that we don’t look to the Chalice as a source of infection should we get a cold…I must say that I know of no empirical evidence to base such a “100%” claim on.

Not trying to pick a fight…For I believe the risk to be extremely minimal too…but the risk being minimal is not the same thing as saying that it never happens.

Peace
James
I solve the cold question by sitting up front in the first few rows.🙂
 
I grew up in a church where the cup never made it past the altar. I’m currently in a church where this is the same, but we have a communion rail and tight quarters on the side aisle. The logistics for adding the cup would double the time needed for communion, due to the traffic jam.

I typically bow while walking past the cup, if at a location that brings it past the altar.

It is a very rare occasion I take the Cup, it’s been years. But I would guess if it was normal early on it might have stuck.

Then again, considering I am not one that likes traffic jams, if taking the blood of Christ was normal to me and I learned it wasn’t necessary, I might switch lanes.

I would say though that there is an element of not wanting to put my lips on the same cup as hundreds of people, that is there as well.
 
The first time I went to a Protestant service, the lack of children surprised me. And sort of saddened me. Some of my earliest memories are being in the pews with my family. Having a book to keep me quiet, playing with Hot wheels with my brothers, fussing because my brother was sitting too close, being marched down the center aisle by my mom for misbehaving, kneeling next to my parents, getting the baby in the pew behind us to smile, learning to be reverent during the preparation of the Body and Blood.

I always knew I belonged to God even when I tried to pretend I wasn’t. I am positive it is because of going to and being included in Mass from the time I was a newborn.
 
Aren’t there crying babies in all churches?

Or is it just the Catholic one who cry? :rotfl:
 
Aren’t there crying babies in all churches?

Or is it just the Catholic one who cry? :
Only those who baptize infants have this happen. It’s evidence of the Holy Spirit.

Catholic babies are the only babies that cry. :blushing:
 
Aren’t there crying babies in all churches?

Or is it just the Catholic one who cry? :rotfl:
Good one 🙂

I don’t think I previously mentioned that I have a mild case of ADD, which may be why I found it a little more distracting than most. However, it wasn’t a really big impediment to me. I prayed at the time for the Lord to help me concentrate and He did. I have nothing against children, by the way (my wife and I have two).

At some evangelical churches, there are well staffed nurseries with ladies and young women who love to care for babies during the worship service. Moms are encouraged to drop them off there so that their potential crying won’t be an issue and so that the mom can focus on God and be nourished spiritually like the rest of the congregation instead of being distracted herself trying to care for her baby while in the sanctuary. There is also a quiet room available with audio from the sanctuary.

However, if the mom doesn’t want to part from her child for an hour or so during the service, she is encouraged to sit toward the back so that she can make a quick exit if needed so as to not disturb those in the congregation who are trying to focus on God and the proceedings in the sanctuary. It’s not that anyone dislikes children – it’s more of a practical approach to deal with excess noise in the sanctuary.

I realize it was probably more of an issue for me than for most, and that is something I would have to adjust to if I ever started attending Mass on a regular basis there. In other words, it would not be a show-stopper. Once again, the positives from my first Mass experience far outweighed the negative. God bless all the fathers today, by the way. 👍
 
I used to take an elderly nurse to weekday Mass with my youngest who was still a baby. He was pretty quiet. I loved it when he first saw the statue of the Sacred Heart, jumped in my arms and exclaimed, ‘Dee Dah, Mommy, Dee Dah!’ He was trying to say ‘Jesus’. But the lady would be bothered by babies’ cries. She said as she got older, it was like someone taking their finger nail down a chalk board…very penetrating. My former pastor would get bothered as well and he would give you the ‘eye’…Sicilian.

I didn’t hear much…but once the kids were downstairs and I was totally engrossed with my cooking. Somehow it was like some connection was made to the kids down stairs…I had four of them. they started barnyard talk and called them on it immediately. They were in shock I heard it.

Now that I am a grandma, yes, noises by kids in church penetrate my nerves and I really have to endure it in the Lord.
 
I used to take an elderly nurse to weekday Mass with my youngest who was still a baby. He was pretty quiet. I loved it when he first saw the statue of the Sacred Heart, jumped in my arms and exclaimed, ‘Dee Dah, Mommy, Dee Dah!’ He was trying to say ‘Jesus’. But the lady would be bothered by babies’ cries. She said as she got older, it was like someone taking their finger nail down a chalk board…very penetrating. My former pastor would get bothered as well and he would give you the ‘eye’…Sicilian.

I didn’t hear much…but once the kids were downstairs and I was totally engrossed with my cooking. Somehow it was like some connection was made to the kids down stairs…I had four of them. they started barnyard talk and called them on it immediately. They were in shock I heard it.

Now that I am a grandma, yes, noises by kids in church penetrate my nerves and I really have to endure it in the Lord.
Yes, it bothers me a little more as I get older because I am used to quiet at my house now, but I get over it quickly when I think of how many babies any more are never even given a chance to cry……then their crying sounds like music to my ears.
 
I have a follow up question regarding my first Mass that I forgot to mention. There was a lot of kneeling at times at the Mass. I sat on the back row and knelt at the times I saw everyone else doing it even though I didn’t understand all of it. I prayed to God at those times for myself, my family, and those sitting around me in the sanctuary for God to be with them and guide their lives and be with them in their struggles.

I had knee surgery a few years ago and all of the kneeling kind of tweaked my knee and I am a little sore today – a knee strain, I think. I should be fine in another day or so, I think. It’s similar to how I feel when I overdue it walking or twist it on a divot in my yard while mowing the grass.

Question:
Is it required to kneel ay Mass?


I was wondering for those people who might have had surgery, the elderly, etc. I saw a couple of elderly folks just sitting there, so I suspect it is ok but wanted to be sure.

On a side note. I saw a little boy (maybe 3 or 4 years old) try to copy the form of his parents when they knelt upon arriving in the aisle by their pew. The little boy squatted like a little frog by bending both knees and almost touching the floor with his behind. He was very cute. I could tell his heart was in the right place although he didn’t have the form quite down yet. 🙂
 
:clapping:
Hi MacQ.
Of course there are crying babies in all churches. It’s just that some of them do their crying in the designated nursery reserved for babies.

Do any Catholic parishes have nurseries or is that just a protestant thing? I don’t think all protestant churces have nurseries either, by the way although all the ones I’ve been to did. A lot depends on the size of the church and if they have the facilities and staff for it. It also takes enough volunteers (and maybe even a few paid ones) who consider it their way of serving God and the congregation. However, it sounds like the parish I went to either didn’t have that option or the people chose not to use it. I want to stress again that if I decide to return to that CC, I will learn to adjust to the crying baby noise as best I can, with God’s help.
 
I have a follow up question regarding my first Mass that I forgot to mention. There was a lot of kneeling at times at the Mass. I sat on the back row and knelt at the times I saw everyone else doing it even though I didn’t understand all of it. I prayed to God at those times for myself, my family, and those sitting around me in the sanctuary for God to be with them and guide their lives and be with them in their struggles.

I had knee surgery a few years ago and all of the kneeling kind of tweaked my knee and I am a little sore today – a knee strain, I think. I should be fine in another day or so, I think. It’s similar to how I feel when I overdue it walking or twist it on a divot in my yard while mowing the grass.

Question:
Is it required to kneel ay Mass?
It is required that one kneel if one is able to. In your case it sounds like you are not really able to - at least not for extended periods - so you would be excused. For those who cannot kneel sitting is OK.
I was wondering for those people who might have had surgery, the elderly, etc. I saw a couple of elderly folks just sitting there, so I suspect it is ok but wanted to be sure.
Yup - It’s a good question. I know if I have trouble kneeling for some reason I will either sit, leaning forward so I don’t bother the person behind me or I’ll kneel leaning back against the pew seat.
On a side note. I saw a little boy (maybe 3 or 4 years old) try to copy the form of his parents when they knelt upon arriving in the aisle by their pew. The little boy squatted like a little frog by bending both knees and almost touching the floor with his behind. He was very cute. I could tell his heart was in the right place although he didn’t have the form quite down yet. 🙂
What the parents did is called “genuflecting” and is the normal and correct thing to do upon entering the pew or passing in front of the tabernacle.
And yes - it is so cute to see little ones imitate like that. It makes me smile every time i see such things.

Peace
James
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top