T
Tommy999
Guest
Thanks, Porknpie. I’m a visual sort of guy so that helps a lot. 
Perhaps you could suggest they do this sort of thing AFTER the services. It seems that before the service should be spent preparing oneself for worship.I understand and can relate, KathleenGee. This issue is not unique to Catholic parishes. Maybe it’s a generational issue in all denominations where the older parishoners are a little more concerned about proper dress than younger folks. And, maybe just maybe …I’m just an old fuddy duddy.
For example, on Sunday I went to my normal AOG Church for Father’s Day with one of my sons (my wife was out of town). In honor of Father’s Day, they had publicized the week before for all fathers to wear their favorite team’s jersey to church as something fun to do on Father’s Day. They even had a chicken wing eating contest with two dads at a table near the podium just before the worship service began, with the winner getting a free gift card to a restaurant. The atmosphere was like that of a party or county fair instead of a place of worship, in my opinion. Therefore, I protested and didn’t participate, which is appropriate for a protestant to do, right?
I chose to wear my normal church clothes instead of wearing a team jersey because I view church as a place to go commune with God instead of a place to play games on a Sunday morning. In defense of the church and pastor, this was special event and they don’t do this kind of thing every week. For Mother’s Day, all the moms got a rose and some chocolate before the church service began, and two moms played a little game ( I forgot what it was) and the winner got a free spa treatment.
What a neat story and a neat experience. Keep going. I bet you will find more positive throughout your experiences.Hi Everyone,
I’m an evangelical inquirer who attended his first Catholic Mass since I had the privilege of attending Midnight Mass in Rome in 1978 with some Catholic friends of mine while studying in Europe. Other than that, I was not aware of what to expect except for what I have gleaned on CAF from you kind folks.
Positive Observations:
– I definitely felt God’s presence. It was palpable, especially during the Eucharist just like folks on CAF had said it would be.
– The reverence of God was also shown by the faithful by bowing, kneeling to pray, and by keeping quiet when they arrived in the sanctuary. This contrasts with my current church environment at which people chat and laugh in the sanctuary before service like they are at Starbucks or something.
– The priest appeared to be genuine and at ease in his homily about the Holy Trinity and I could relate to what he was saying. I was expecting stiffness, pomp and circumstance but got a heart felt talk from what I perceive to be a genuine servant of God who also officiates the various other stuff during the Mass.
– While on my way to Mass (20 minute drive), I was concerned it might be an awkward experience and that I wouldn’t know anyone. However, I discovered that I actually knew the head usher who was also the greeter. I had worked with him at one point in my career and he had been my supervisor for a time. We always got along well. He was pleasantly surprised to see me, as I was to see him. Small world, huh?
– Another man that I knew from work saw me sitting alone on the back row and he and his wfe came and sat next to me.
– At one point, when they had the congregation lay hands on all the fathers in attendance on behalf of Father’s Day tomorrow, a lady saw me without anyone laying their hands on me and she came over to put her hand on my shoulder and pray for me which I thought was very thoughtful, especially since she had to maneuver her way around a bunch of people to get to me.
Negative Observations:
– At times I had trouble concentrating (and I think other parishoners did too) due to a couple of loud crying babies whose parents tried unsuccessfully for several minutes to keep them quiet before they finally took them out of the sanctuary. I wasn’t used to this because at my church it is mandatory for parents with babies to put them in the nursery or go to a “quiet room” with audio where they can hear the proceedings from the sanctuary. This was no biggie, just a little annoying.
– I actually saw a teenage girl dressed in gym shorts and sandals. I realize it is summer and Christ is more concerned with the heart than our dress, but that seemed a little disrespectful to me. But then again my sons sometimes tell me I’m an old fart who needs to loosen up more.
Questions/Concerns:
– During the Eucharist, I noticed a couple of altar boys were offered the cup but did not take it. Two of them did but two others didn’t. I wonder why?
– I noticed that there were a few different chalices from which all the faithful would drink. In between people, and there were lots of them, the servers would wipe off the chalice for the next person to drink.
What happens if someone is sick? Are they excused from the Eucharist or is some other provision made? Otherwise, it seems possible that colds, step throat, etc could get passed around easily from this method. I realize this is a pretty mundane question and concern, but it made me wonder a little bit. At my church, everyone gets an individual little throwaway plastic cup. Not as ceremonious, but more hygenic, I would think. Once again, no biggie – just curious.
Overall, my first Mass in a long time was a positive experience. I plan to go to Father’s Day with my two sons tomorrow at my regular AOG church, at which I am an usher.
Thanks, everyone, for your prayers. It was a lot less stressful than I had imagined. Plus, I was impressed by all the readings from Scripture. In a way, it was sort of like a protestant service with more bells and whistles (literally, more bells).I remembered bells during the Eucharist.
I
For example, on Sunday I went to my normal AOG Church for Father’s Day with one of my sons (my wife was out of town). In honor of Father’s Day, they had publicized the week before for all fathers to wear their favorite team’s jersey to church as something fun to do on Father’s Day. They even had a chicken wing eating contest with two dads at a table near the podium just before the worship service began, with the winner getting a free gift card to a restaurant. The atmosphere was like that of a party or county fair instead of a place of worship, in my opinion. Therefore, I protested and didn’t participate, which is appropriate for a protestant to do, right?![]()
I want to go to that church! It sounds like the Catholic parish I attended when I first converted. I sometimes wonder if I would have come into the Church if the parishioners were as noisy then are they are now.– The reverence of God was also shown by the faithful by bowing, kneeling to pray, and by keeping quiet when they arrived in the sanctuary. This contrasts with my current church environment at which people chat and laugh in the sanctuary before service like they are at Starbucks or something.
Chit chat before Mass is common enough. Not good but common. It’s good to bring up with the priest and tell him that it is difficult to pray before Mass. Ask him to say something to the parishioners. It does make a difference even though he may have to say it a number of times over a number of weeks. It’s a cultural thing that can be addressed and changed. Needs to be changed.I want to go to that church! It sounds like the Catholic parish I attended when I first converted. I sometimes wonder if I would have come into the Church if the parishioners were as noisy then are they are now.
I haven’t been able to find a parish within an hour’s drive where people actually pray or meditate before Mass. Too many are chit-chatting about worldly things - shopping, sports, etc.![]()
I heard a priest on Catholic radio mention this. When someone asked about it, he said, basically, ‘well…if you’re sick, you probably shouldn’t drink from the cup. Although it is the real presence of Christ, it won’t magically keep people from getting sick.’
Tommy999;12087780On a side note. I saw a little boy (maybe 3 or 4 years old) try to copy the form of his parents when they knelt upon arriving in the aisle by their pew. The little boy squatted like a little frog by bending both knees and almost touching the floor with his behind. He was very cute. I could tell his heart was in the right place although he didn’t have the form quite down yet. :slight_smile: [/QUOTE said:
His heart was in the right place, even though his behind wasn’t??
As others have said, it’s not required if you have reasons. That said, you should make a special effort, if you can kneel but not for extended times, to kneel during the consecration of the Eucharist, as this is a special time. A miracle is taking place.
It’s our belief that even infants can benefit by being in Christ’s Real Presence. “Let the little children come to me” and all that.Hi MacQ.
Of course there are crying babies in all churches. It’s just that some of them do their crying in the designated nursery reserved for babies.
Do any Catholic parishes have nurseries or is that just a protestant thing?
How can you be so sure?No one ever got sick from the chalice. Not once.
I’ve read a number of your articles, Church Militant, and find you to be a very interesting read. I highly respect you and how you defend the Catholic faith. I think you would be a fun person to hang out with and ask questions to in an informal setting. I think I would get a lot out of it.
May the Lord continue to be with you and bless you, as well as everyone else who visits and shares on CAF.