A protestant's observations of first Mass

  • Thread starter Thread starter Tommy999
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am going to read your blog…

It seems like the English speaking Americans, because geographically they are so far from their historical roots, get caught up in all kinds of perceptions.
 
Because the challis contains the saving Blood of Our Lord and therefore it can not hurt me.
One of our extraordinary ministers is a diabetic and she thought the same thing. There was quite a bit of consecrated wine left one time and she finished it since the priest who was officiating has allergies and never finishes what’s left in the communion cup.

She suffered the consequences of drinking wine on an empty stomach especially as a diabetic. Her husband, who is not Catholic, was livid.

Remember the chalice still contains the accidents of wine. You can get drunk, you can get sick (if the flu is going around) and if you drink too much of it you can get pulled over for driving under the influence.
 
One of our extraordinary ministers is a diabetic and she thought the same thing. There was quite a bit of consecrated wine left one time and she finished it since the priest who was officiating has allergies and never finishes what’s left in the communion cup.

She suffered the consequences of drinking wine on an empty stomach especially as a diabetic. Her husband, who is not Catholic, was livid.

Remember the chalice still contains the accidents of wine. You can get drunk, you can get sick (if the flu is going around) and if you drink too much of it you can get pulled over for driving under the influence.
I have to disagree that the Sacrament had anything to do with what happened to the EMHC.
 
I have to disagree that the Sacrament had anything to do with what happened to the EMHC.
Me too…
“Suffered the consequences” is pretty vague.
What exactly happened? Her blood sugar went up? That much alcohol unlikely to matter a whit. It was more likely the donuts she had afterward,
 
Hi MacQ.
Of course there are crying babies in all churches. It’s just that some of them do their crying in the designated nursery reserved for babies.

Do any Catholic parishes have nurseries or is that just a protestant thing? I don’t think all protestant churces have nurseries either, by the way although all the ones I’ve been to did. A lot depends on the size of the church and if they have the facilities and staff for it. It also takes enough volunteers (and maybe even a few paid ones) who consider it their way of serving God and the congregation. However, it sounds like the parish I went to either didn’t have that option or the people chose not to use it. I want to stress again that if I decide to return to that CC, I will learn to adjust to the crying baby noise as best I can, with God’s help.
Some have one or the other, some have neither, and some parishes like mine have both - we have a nursery that some families use, while others opt for the cry room from the get-go (it’s a glass room close off to the side, close to the front, so you can see and hear - no CCTV), and there are others who have their kids in mass the whole time. We’re a big parish, so it’s good to have options.

I do know what you mean about adjusting, though. My parish is fine - the kids keep it down to a dull roar 😉 but there is another parish where I attend mass at least once a month with family, and the noise is truly distracting. The acoustics of the church do great things for the choir, but amplify the screaming of many children whose parents have tuned them out. Drowning out the homily (given via microphone!) is a weekly occurrence.

Hopefully, your church is more like mine and you’ll soon get used to the noise. 🙂
 
One of our extraordinary ministers is a diabetic and she thought the same thing. There was quite a bit of consecrated wine left one time and she finished it since the priest who was officiating has allergies and never finishes what’s left in the communion cup.

She suffered the consequences of drinking wine on an empty stomach especially as a diabetic. Her husband, who is not Catholic, was livid.

Remember the chalice still contains the accidents of wine. You can get drunk, you can get sick (if the flu is going around) and if you drink too much of it you can get pulled over for driving under the influence.
Miriam,

Per your last paragraph, this is why the US Bishops state the following in the Norms for the Distribution and Reception of Holy Communion:
  1. After each communicant has received the Blood of Christ, the minister carefully wipes both sides of the rim of the chalice with a purificator. This action is a matter of both reverence and hygiene. For the same reason, the minister turns the chalice slightly after each communicant has received the Precious Blood.
The chalice is wiped with the purificator and turned as a matter of hygiene: to maintain health and prevent disease. As a Eucharistic Minister, I take the time to wipe the chalice carefully to maintain the best hygiene possible.

Personally, I don’t worry about receiving the Precious Blood unless it’s Winter and it is obvious that it is cold and flu season.
 
Hi Tommy,

I’m glad you posted this and I read it having found it by browsing for something else. I’m a cradle Catholic who turned Protestant for 20 years, then reverted to Catholicism. I’m very happy to read of the many positive impressions you had. From my perspective, of course, the positives far outweighed any perceived negatives.

I did want to address your two negatives, because I see it the same way! The crying baby thing can be VERY annoying and extremely disturbing. I’m learning to filter it out best I can, and it’s not every Mass, but about every other, anyway, I’d say at least every other weekend Mass. Evidently, many parents have NO IDEA how rude this can be to others. I’ve always stopped short of actually leaving a Mass due to this but have switched pew positions from it many times. When I was brought up in the CC, we would sit as close to the front as possible as my parent’s theory was so us kids could see what is going on and didn’t make noise. I believe it worked and wish more Catholic parents would realize this. Unfortunately, I’ve come to accept this as the way is. In my Protestant/Charismatic churches, the kids would always leave for their classes during the preaching and the music was way too loud during the worship time to hear them anyway.

I’m probably noticing this more as I’m aging and (hopefully) becoming more reverent, particularly at Mass. I don’t even like wearing jeans there, but I’m amazed at how very casual the dress can be especially among the young girls. Again, I think this is more a PARENTAL problem more than anything. Not all Catholic churches are this way, but I’m surprised how many are, even at sacred shrines. Like the first issue, I think it’s a sad reflection of the times we live in.

I haven’t read through the responses, but the cup thing varies a lot within the CC. My diocese no longer offers it although it did up til a couple years ago. As Catholics, we believe (or should as Catholics!) in the real presence of Christ in Holy Communion. We also believe that the whole of Christ is contained under both the bread and the wine. So, if one receives one or the other, the communicant is receiving the whole of Christ. The cup offered was a new thing when I was in my teens and it’s always been very much an optional thing. I used to take it regularly b/c Jesus used both bread and wine at the last supper-but that was just my choice. Now, unless I’m attending Mass out of the diocese, it’s an “easy decision” b/c there’s only the host offered. Although, I was recently as a Mass where I saw something I never have before in all my many years of Mass attendance, where the priest stated before handing out Communion that the cup would be offered off to the side for those “who can’t receive the host”. This was also in my local diocese. Nobody took it. I’m not sure what would cause anyone to not be able to receive a host but could wine. Those hosts are not like the crackers you probably use at your AOG, but they about dissolve on the tongue usually before you can even swallow.

Anyway, I talked/posted your ear off here, but I think it’s great you came and had an overall good experience. It’s a very different part of the body of Christ compared to your church, but I’ve been able to deeply experience Jesus in both in my life.

Blessings,
HA
 
Thanks for sharing your observations and experiences, hereagain. It’s nice to see someone who is a Catholic who respects and shares some of my points of view. It sounds like we share some things in common.

It reminds me of a little quip I use at work when someone says, “Great minds think alike”.
If I am in a feisty mood, I will respond, “…but then so do we”. 😉

I wouldn’t mind hearing more about your faith journey sometime. Take care and God bless.
 
thanks Tommy! Sometime I’ll have to share my “checkered Church past” around here!

-ha
 
hereagain,

People who have celiac disease or are intolerant of gluten, which is found in all wheat products often cannot tolerate even the small amount of gluten present in the regular Communion host, so they can just take the precious blood, which is what your parish is offering, or a special low-gluten host. The Communion host must be made of wheat flour and water only with no additives–other types of flour, such as rice flour cannot be used, so these people cannot take the regular Communion host.

So that’s why there is a special cup offered at your parish.
 
Good to know, Carolyn, thanks! The gluten thing did cross my mind and probably should have looked it up.
 
I didn’t read through this whole thread but just wanted to make sure somebody brought up how great of a program RCIA is. You can go through this program even if you have no intention of joining the church.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top