A question for the ladies: Friend Zone

  • Thread starter Thread starter LotusCarsLtd
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I only have two, maybe three male friends so no. I’ve never friend zoned my male friends ( the two male friends I have are gay).

Where I live guys and girls are NOT platonic friends. You’re either dating or acquaintances but friends? no no no. Doesn’t happen. Unfortunately.
 
Girls don’t work that way. Girls are somehow capable of meeting a guy and instantly deciding that, while she’s not interested in a relationship with him, that she wants him to be a friend and that’s it… FOREVER.
Hardly. It’s more dynamic than that with women. People get friend-zoned after periods of flirting and other people get un-friend-zoned when the woman simply changes mind (e.g. there’s a risk of losing his company or she just reevaluates her priorities). I’ve had both of the foregoing happen to me.
So 99% of the guys who complain that things were moving along fine and then BAM they were friendzoned are completely off the mark: there was never a time that they WEREN’T in the friend zone…. there was only a time that they were trying for more and not realizing that they were already in the “just friends” list, and that the girl simply hadn’t caught on that the guy wanted more from the get-go.
Nope. Friend-zone is not the default state you’re in. Friend-zone follows a decision and decision follows evaluation. Short or long but evaluation does take place.
I also find it a little bit creepy when a guy is super-nice and wonders why he ends up in the friend zone all the time (remember that being “nice” and being good are not the same thing!). It’s like “here, can I buy my way into a relationship with you with all these ‘nice’ things I’m doing”. That’s not good, that’s thinking that a girl OWES someone something because they’re nice to her… like you can somehow buy affection and love like that. Girls aren’t stupid, they can sense that sort of emotional manipulation almost immediately, and they may not do it consciously, but they know that the best place for an insecure person like that is the friends list.
Sometimes it’s just that a rougher person has more appeal than a more cultivated one, depending on individual preference.
 
No, the question refers to a mentality (or perceived mentality) among women that if they are friends with a guy, they won’t date him (whereas, if they weren’t friends with a guy, they might have dated him). This known as the “friend zone.”

Example: Boy likes girl. Boy befriends girl. Boy asks girl out, but girl says “Oh, don’t be silly, you’re such a good friend!” Bam! Friend-zoned.

Versus: Boy likes girl. Boy asks girl out. Flattered by his attention and attraction, girl accepts. Score.

The idea is that which of these two possibilities plays out determines on how the woman “friend zones” a guy that she would otherwise be attracted to. I really do see this happen all the time, even if it never happens that way with me. I actually got “friend zoned” by a guy when I was younger. It sucks. 😦
Hm. I guess I can’t say I’ve ever seen it happen where a girl would be attracted to a guy IF he were not her friend. But then again, I guess it would be difficult to know whether or not you’d be attracted to someone if he wasn’t a friend. 🤷
 
  1. Have you ever friend-zoned a guy;
  2. If or if not, can anyone explain why we guys get stuck in the friend zone and why don’t more women consider us as perfect life partners (given that we’re already great friends)?
I had a guy crush on me in high school. I just didn’t have any interest in him, although I did go out with him once just to make sure. We didn’t do “friend zone” back then, we just “let him down easy.” But it wasn’t easy for him. I felt bad about it for weeks. Never spoke to him again.

😦
 
Hardly. It’s more dynamic than that with women. People get friend-zoned after periods of flirting and other people get un-friend-zoned when the woman simply changes mind (e.g. there’s a risk of losing his company or she just reevaluates her priorities). I’ve had both of the foregoing happen to me.
Sure, some women have a FEW friends who started out as potential interests. Some have a few interests who started out as just friends.

But like I said in a previous post, the fact that women do NOT look for sexual attraction to a person in order to put them in a friend category is a statistical fact. The odds are that if you find yourself in the friend zone, you were already there to begin with because she was never attracted.

There are exceptions to that rule, of course, but still, statistical analysis says that men and women approach cross-gender friendship differently (go figure, men and women are different, that’s what the church has been teaching for 2,000 years!)
Nope. Friend-zone is not the default state you’re in. Friend-zone follows a decision and decision follows evaluation. Short or long but evaluation does take place.
According to statistical analysis, if a woman feels no attraction for a guy, friend zone is where he starts and where he stays. Again, this is not a universal rule, but a statistical generality which makes it far more likely that guys were immediately put in the friend zone and didn’t realize it because the girl didn’t recognize the flirting as a real attempt at a relationship and didn’t know to put him down earlier. (Most girls don’t realize that most guys seek friendships where sexual attraction IS a basis of friendship either… we all have so much to learn about each other…🤷)
Sometimes it’s just that a rougher person has more appeal than a more cultivated one, depending on individual preference.
You’re not getting what I’m saying… again, you’re conflating being “nice” with being “good”. It is possible to be both good and nice, but the key detail there is that favors are given for the sake of being good/nice, not because affection is expected in return.

Guys who think that girls “owe them a chance” because they’re SO nice to them are NOT good people, they’re vile. They treat women like prostitutes, whose affection and attention can be bought by gestures. If a guy wants to be genuinely good to a woman, he should be G O O D to her with no expectations in return. Being good to a woman because he thinks his actions will buy him a chance to get into a relationship with her is just sleazy, and says something about the total lack of respect that guy has for the woman in question.

to recap:
  • There are guys who are nice who are vile, despicable people with no REAL respect for women. They think they can buy women’s affection like women are prostitutes
  • There are guys who are nice, who are good, they are courteous to all women with no expectation. When they do something for THEIR spouse or girlfriend, they don’t think their spouse or girlfriend OWES them anything in return.
  • There are guys who are “rough” and good, they’re not as likely to be so mushy, but at least they don’t lie to the girl or present her nice actions as a bribe for her affection.
  • There are guys who are rough and vile, who objectify women and think that women owe them something. They treat women like whores. The only difference between them and that first category of guy is that, while he treats women worse, at least he’s honest about his lack of respect for women.
Again, how “nice” a guy is has nothing to do with how “good” a guy is. They are NOT the same thing.
 
youtube.com/watch?v=8-vZlrBYLSU

This just came up on my Pandora, so I’m sending it to all you guys that haven’t been so lucky in love yet (including those of you struggling with this mysterious “friend zone”).

I know I definitely felt this way when I finally met my husband.
 
  1. Have you ever friend-zoned a guy;)?
Yes.
  1. If or if not, can anyone explain why we guys get stuck in the friend zone and why don’t more women consider us as perfect life partners (given that we’re already great friends)?
Most of my friends/acquaintances back in college were guys. I just got along with the ones I became friendly with. They were funny, laid back, not into gossip and there was none of this underlying cattiness that I found in too many girls back in high school. I later found other like-minded young ladies while attending university, but I still had more male friends. Even today, although I am an introvert and don’t have a load of friends, my husband and I are friends with mostly men as well.

Was I attracted to any of them? Yes. Were some of them attracted to me as well? Yes, as I later found out. For some, I was completely oblivious and naive not picking up on their signals and it was only later did I realize it. Some did let me know their feelings, but only after I began to seriously date my husband. It was a little surreal. When they found out I was dating, suddenly some of my male friends began to be more honest about their feelings or dropped out of sight. It was too late by that point because I was committed and in love with him. Then there was just the reason that I only thought of these men as friends and nothing more. I valued their friendship, but had no other attraction to them whatsoever. Some of them felt the same way, but unfortunately, as I later found out, some did like me more than just being a friend.

I actually deliberately friend zoned my husband at first, though. We were attracted to each other and he had the hutzpah to express his feelings for me. Unfortunately, at the time, I was just finishing up my freshman year of college and did not have much experience dating prior to that. I didn’t see the real need to in high school because I wanted to go to college and had no desire to marry any time soon. Actually, I thought I wouldn’t marry until I was in my 30s. Boy, was I wrong!!! I wasn’t ready to get myself heavily involved with one person at that point, so I told him. We were in the friend zone for 2 1/2 years before we started dating. This time, I was the one who had to express it since I knew he wouldn’t want to go there. At that point, I had been on enough dates and had gotten to know many young men as friends to know what I wanted in a potential husband. The chemistry and attraction was still completely there for him. Those 2 1/2 years were also good for our maturity and growth as people. And here we are now… married, two kids and a dog. God certainly had plans for the two of us and He threw me for a loop. Can’t fight His plans. 🙂
 
For some odd reason, the thought that I feel dishonored whenever I’m in the friend zone seems to be persistent. :eek:
 
You’re not getting what I’m saying… again, you’re conflating being “nice” with being “good”. It is possible to be both good and nice, but the key detail there is that favors are given for the sake of being good/nice, not because affection is expected in return.

Guys who think that girls “owe them a chance” because they’re SO nice to them are NOT good people, they’re vile. They treat women like prostitutes, whose affection and attention can be bought by gestures. If a guy wants to be genuinely good to a woman, he should be G O O D to her with no expectations in return. Being good to a woman because he thinks his actions will buy him a chance to get into a relationship with her is just sleazy, and says something about the total lack of respect that guy has for the woman in question.
I think you just perfectly described how my husband eventually got OUT of the friend zone after I turned him down. Things were never weird. He didn’t act any differently. He didn’t get depressed. I was never able to put my finger on why our friendship seemed to be so unaffected by such an incident. You would think nothing would ever be the same again.

But you nailed it…he didn’t think he was owed a shot with me and my thoughts mattered to him.
 
This is exactly right. For me, guys never moved from the “potential love interest” zone TO the “friend” zone. You basically start out in one place and that’s where you stand and will usually always stand. Occasionally you can move from “friends” to “more than friends”, usually when you get to know someone closer and in different contexts and situations, but the reverse is rare.
I think this is true. With the male friends who I was attracted to, it didn’t start out that way. It wasn’t until after I started to get to know them that I became attracted to them. I had physically attractive male friends, but for me that wasn’t enough to think, “Oh, I’d like to date him,” or “I want to be friends to see if we can be more than friends.” If they were friendly, nice, interesting and fun, my first thought for most was that I’d like to hang out with them… just like how I would think about any potential female friend. I just enjoyed their company and friendship.
 
But like I said in a previous post, the fact that women do NOT look for sexual attraction to a person in order to put them in a friend category is a statistical fact.
You got it backwards. We aren’t talking about women using sexual attraction “to put them in a friend category”. Friend-zone is, conceptually at least, the polar opposite of those members of the opposite sex where acting on interest or attraction (not the mere presence of it) is an open option. A woman would look for both a love interest and new friends but would friend-zone the guys she for some reason decided she didn’t want to allow herself to be attracted to (or even allow herself to act on the attraction to an extent but without actually establishing a relationship).

As for “statistical facts”, one poll, one popular-science article, does not facts make.
The odds are that if you find yourself in the friend zone, you were already there to begin with because she was never attracted.
That is not only incorrect, it is also logically impossible strictly speaking. This is because you aren’t in the friend-zone until she puts you there after some evaluation. Until that point, you aren’t yet in the friend-zone. Therefore you can’t never have been out of the friend-zone. We’re focusing on the period before evaluation or during it, not a situation several months after it.
There are exceptions to that rule, of course, but still, statistical analysis says that men and women approach cross-gender friendship differently (go figure, men and women are different, that’s what the church has been teaching for 2,000 years!)
Except that analyses and theories are plenty and they aren’t consistent with each other. Asking people direct questions about how they process their internal feelings and impulses is kinda pointless anyway because they can’t be good judges of that, and if you instead just watch them and judge their behaviour, there’s going to be a heckton of researcher bias skewing the results.

If anything, men and women have a different make-up when it comes to sexuality (something JP2 wrote about before he became Pope) and if anything, men see a clearer difference between sexual and non-sexual interest. For women, it’s more blended together and thus they can sometimes miss things that for a man would imply interest in a relationship. This, I guess, could explain men feeling misled when they are eventually told it’s only friends for them, sometimes. But this would also, admittedly, seem to undermine the concept of a “friend-zone” anyway.
According to statistical analysis, if a woman feels no attraction for a guy, friend zone is where he starts and where he stays.
That’s what they said about men some years ago, with women supposedly being anything from different to opposite. And as I said, you can’t get a statistical analysis right because you can’t rely on people’s own assessments of how they react (i.e. just poll people and process their answers at face value), nor can a researcher reliably evaluate that. A psychologist or psychiatrist could delve into it and come up with something useful but a statistician has nothing to do there.
Again, this is not a universal rule, but a statistical generality which makes it far more likely that guys were immediately put in the friend zone and didn’t realize it because the girl didn’t recognize the flirting as a real attempt at a relationship and didn’t know to put him down earlier.
That’s possible and it’s true that women can sometimes be clueless because one sex has trouble understanding the other sex’s flirting in general.

But I’ll insist that at least in the more interesting cases, friend-zone assignment (whether for men or for women) doesn’t happen in an instant, there tends to be a period of flirting or testing or evaluating or otherwise uncertainty before the decision is made. Which is sometimes conscious and sometimes comes down to deciding whether one feels the chemistry or not.

You may even have a point that plenty of people are disqualified faster than that but those are clearly one-sided cases. “Friend-zoning” in typical parlance refers to hitting an inexplicable wall, possibly for a reason that feels stupid to the person friend-zoned (regardless who’s of which sex). In short, it’s mostly about sort-of-dating situations that don’t work out.
(Most girls don’t realize that most guys seek friendships where sexual attraction IS a basis of friendship either… we all have so much to learn about each other…🤷)
Sexual attraction is not a basis of friendships. It’s only that men are more visual and attractive looks are often the criterion by which they select some women out of a larger number to talk with. Once it’s friends, it’s not a relationship based on sexuality. Not much more than the relationship with a sibling of the opposite gender. Obviously, a sister is different from a brother and so is a female friend from a male one. But this is a very broad sense of sexuality, one that basically equates sexuality to gender differences.
You’re not getting what I’m saying… again, you’re conflating being “nice” with being “good”. It is possible to be both good and nice, but the key detail there is that favors are given for the sake of being good/nice, not because affection is expected in return.
Good is difference from nice.
Guys who think that girls “owe them a chance” because they’re SO nice to them are NOT good people, they’re vile.
Nobody owes a chance to anybody per se, although I believe in some cases people may have a bit of a “moral right” to be given a fair evaluation as opposed to being disqualified on a superficiality, and people have a right to expect a more or less serious approach before or in connection with investing themselves.
They treat women like prostitutes, whose affection and attention can be bought by gestures.
I think there’s a chance you’ve read a little bit one-sided things lately. There is a difference between a sex-for-money exchange and being nice or charming to somebody with an expectation of some reciprocity, especially in the form of a chance and not of a sure-fire, and especially if the “expectation” comes down to simply acting in a particular way as one’s way of gaining the interest of the opposite sex. Basically everybody presents some advantages and disadvantages, from time to time we compete with others and sometimes we advertise, so I guess people often rely on their particular strengths to work to their advantage. They aren’t vile when they observe that in their opinion those strengths of theirs (or whatever they have to offer) are not judged fairly by others. For example when a woman gets the feeling that a long degree means little next to a short skirt as far as her chosen man is concerned. Therefore, while manipulation and emotional coercion and emotional blackmail are vile (while people often engage in them without a large load of conscious ill will, more like not having outgrown it yet spiritually or morally), it is not vile to expect people to value good manners more than bad manners, to take kind treatment better than unkind treatment etc. Or to be outraged when faced with an asymmetrical lack of regard. (E.g. when a woman won’t just tell a man that she simply has changed her mind, made a different decision, wishes him the best and thanks him for his time etc. but no, she isn’t interested… but instead he sees her trying to treat him like a doormat and allowing other men to treat her less than respectably. I don’t believe the man is unequivocally vile here.)
If a guy wants to be genuinely good to a woman, he should be G O O D to her with no expectations in return. Being good to a woman because he thinks his actions will buy him a chance to get into a relationship with her is just sleazy, and says something about the total lack of respect that guy has for the woman in question.
There is sense in looking at it that way but it looks inconsistent and bleak when rude innuendo and disrespectful act or even abuse by others is tolerated. As in, that “nice guy” was a vile snake because he expected to begin to be considered as a potential boyfriend (one of) in return for the way he treated her, while a guy who can’t get his act together or treat her respectfully is better because he’s supposedly genuine.

At some level it’s like using someone for sex in a crude fashion is better than failing to be fully selfless when being nice to that same person. Which is manifestly poor logic.
There are guys who are nice who are vile, despicable people with no REAL respect for women. They think they can buy women’s affection like women are prostitutes
Addressed above but in brief you may be exaggerating here, also as proven by your choice of rather charged, strong vocabulary.
There are guys who are nice, who are good, they are courteous to all women with no expectation. When they do something for THEIR spouse or girlfriend, they don’t think their spouse or girlfriend OWES them anything in return.
Someone who is nice to you but is not nice to the waiter is not a nice person. Being “nice” (basically being a gentleman or a lady, I guess) is of an “erga omnes” thing. This may actually lead to trouble with insecure romantic partners who would expect you to be dismissive or mean of all others.
There are guys who are “rough” and good, they’re not as likely to be so mushy, but at least they don’t lie to the girl or present her nice actions as a bribe for her affection.
Yup.
 
There are guys who are rough and vile, who objectify women and think that women owe them something. They treat women like whores. The only difference between them and that first category of guy is that, while he treats women worse, at least he’s honest about his lack of respect for women.
You, sir, have fallen for the romanticised villain cliché, as I had suspected earlier. Firstly, those guys are not necessarily honest. If anything, an abuser will lie and cheat to get things his way. And at any rate this type of honesty, that basically comes down to being natural (it’s not like they realise their own shortcomings, you know, which is the true meaning of being honest about oneself) is not somehow better than a failure to be selfless in someone who treats people well.
Again, how “nice” a guy is has nothing to do with how “good” a guy is. They are NOT the same thing.
Never said.

Also, to develop a little on some previous thoughts:

A guy who expects women in general to pay some attention to him because of some of his traits isn’t really vile just because those traits are good manners or a kind approach to people. As opposed, for example, to material wealth or an athletic build or a talent with singing or whatever. I believe the “nice guys” are getting too much flak here, while “bad boys” are let off the hook too easily. Not like people often clearly belong in either one category.

Besides, there is nothing wrong in acting nice when trying to establish some kind of link, relationship, joint venture, gain interest, asking for somebody’s time and attention. If somebody wants something from me, I generally expect nurture rather than nature. Unless that nature happens to be kind and respectful. This is not about pretending, it’s about trying, about respecting people, about knowing that you’re asking for something and you need to convince the person asked. It’s probably the inverse of hospitality. When people think they don’t need to be nice when they want something, well, that’s trouble.

There’s nothing wrong with winning favours either way or any particular way either. Convincing one’s interest to start a relationship or give it a chance generally involves a lot of winning favour and asking for opportunities, in which case it’s natural to be kind and respectful, nothing wrong with manners and agreeability being an asset here as opposed to e.g. a well-tone muscular chest. The one guy invested in his looks (and health, strength etc.), the other in his people skills. For the record, some other guy may have been diligent in his work and acquired relative material security and comfort for his prospective wife and children (which is not exactly the same as trying to buy sexual interest with money). You could argue which of these positions is better or worse than the others but don’t do it so automatically and in such overly absolute ways, if I may suggest something.

Sorry for the huge block of text but writing concisely without losing the content isn’t really my forte.
 
Now, you can flip the question around too and ask men how many women they’ve “friend-zoned.” That happens too (maybe not as much, but it happens). I have met men whom I wanted to date, etc… but they never asked me out and they ended up just being good friends. It was disappointing… especially if they met someone else and started dating. But maybe I should have taken the initiative and asked them out… who knows.
It’s not much different for men than it is for women. In both cases it probably comes down to not being sufficiently interested. Sometimes the factors involved are semi-random, not really rational.

I have an observation to make as a lawyer, also. Yeah, I know, a strange perspective. Anyway, when we are at trial, we want to have the “beyond reasonable doubt” standard or even beyond all doubt, when some matter is going to be decided against us (this is what a criminal defendant gets, in theory, but this is because how important criminal trials are, in other matters people don’t get as much). On the other hand, when we are going to commit ourselves to an uncertain cause (e.g. to have a relationship with a stranger), we don’t really want to go there when we simply can’t dismiss that cause beyond doubt, right (in fact the opposite, we’d like to be at least reasonably confident that we’re making the right choice)? A woman (or man) obviously can’t be asked to give a man (or woman) a go at a relationship just because she (or he) is not 100% sure that it would be a bad idea. Whereas the person who is interested and asking, that person would prefer to have a more lenient standard applied to him (or her).

So the conflicting desires of a person interested in someone and the object of the interest may lead to such situations. And while evidence is gathered and heard and judged, then some emotional turmoil will likely take place and the decision may occasionally swing a couple of ways before it settles at one point, just like you get a final verdict in court and not a recording of the conversations that took place in the jury room; the jury room being a good illustration of the mind of the person being confronted with somebody else’s interest in him or her. For the record, being confronted with someone else’s not yet (or not at all) requited interest is a very stressful situation for the person who is being approached.
Hm. I guess I can’t say I’ve ever seen it happen where a girl would be attracted to a guy IF he were not her friend. But then again, I guess it would be difficult to know whether or not you’d be attracted to someone if he wasn’t a friend. 🤷
According to what I’ve heard in many conversations, many women identify with what you say. Perhaps not the majority but definitely a large proportion. And that’s actually difficult for a guy because initially you’re supposed to forget any interest and just be a friend and then maybe or maybe not, which is not how a man is wired. But I don’t think a woman is wired to go along with that when she’s the unilaterally interested party, either. It’s probably a common preference for people who are approached by another and perhaps for some people in general. This does get a little silly when people expect a romantic ouverture (a romantic evening, a couple of nice dates, whatever) to lead to a friendship, and then maybe yes or maybe no.

For the record, from what I’ve heard and I think JP2’s Love and Responsibility supports the idea, women’s attraction to men tends to be more relational, more dynamic, as in depending on interaction, while for men it tends to be more static, front-loaded, maybe visual. So I’d guess defining moments would come a little later for women than for men.
I have friendzoned a few good Catholic men for being too desperate. I am not accusing you of this, but sometimes Catholic men (especially the ones who have been winning the chastity battle) are too enthusiastic to get married, to the point that women are under the impression that he is not choosing her as the special person that she is, but rather a wife simply fits the paradigm of “good Catholic woman” whom he must marry because he is ready to be married. I have felt like I barely know the guy, and he is already talking about his family ideal in the married life. These things are good, but not when a relationship is hardly developed and the couple are just starting to get to know one another. It scares women off, as well as men.
Oh yes, the curse of dating websites. As a man I do put women off limits for that same reason too. I can understand desperation (which is a human thing) and I actually respect people for being able to control it despite feeling it (which basically means not failing to see people as special and unique despite one’s hormones acting up). And I don’t say “friend-zone” as just because friendship should be something in its own right and not an empty consolation prize when a relationship attempt fails. I need to be interested in a friendship with someone to offer it. Sometimes I may be interested in a friendship when I’m not interested in a relationship. This will typically be when there are strong impediments that come down to personal taste in matters that are very relevant to romance but not really to friendship. Such as lack of attraction (the common “not my type”) or something that repulses me in the person but wouldn’t preclude a friendship.

Also, something similar to desperation but a bit different is when a person is ready to pursue a relationship without actually being sufficiently interested. This is another variant of too big words too early and another no-no.

For the record, if I believe someone to be off-limits, it tends to be because of an incompatibility of values (a person accepting premarital sex or contraception or believing it’s an individual choice is getting “friend-zoned”), because of a lack of shared interests, because of having contempt or little regard something that’s important to me (“learning dead languages is pointless”, “who cares about history”, “coding is for nerds”, a single comment can sometimes decide the matter but the manner normally tends to have more bearing than the message, as I pay a lot of attention to how considerate a person is in such situations and I find it hard to get over a deficiency in basic formal politeness/civility (actually a frequent cause of becoming off-limits in my specific case).

Sometimes it’s about attaching a lot of weight to something I can’t offer. Which is not that there is anything wrong with that person but I simply can’t offer what she seeks because I don’t have the character or other traits that she claims to be seeking. And I wouldn’t like to put both her and me in a an unfulfilling relationship. Or sometimes a penciled-in but still more or less wholesome picture of a personality appears and I may very well be somewhat touched by it, wish her the best, feel a lot of positive emotions to her, including warmth, protectiveness, interest, but the personalities are just incompatible and she needs a different type of man and I need a different type of woman (e.g. very different tempers or visions of a future life that are neither similar nor complement each other while entirely respactable and even somewhat endearing), I certainly wouldn’t wish the mismatch on either her or myself.

At other times there is attraction but it is not overwhelming and there also remain some differences which are unresolved, from personalities or hobbies to such “superficial” things as the fact that I don’t really like a large difference in height or age. These are more often the cases of “insufficient motivation” to waste a woman’s time if I, myself, am apparently not decided to begin with. So I leave her alone instead of lingering about just in case I change my mind. And then sometimes it’s perhaps like BlueEyedLady said, no chemistry? Not like I’m looking for wild hormonal storms, basically whatever that emotion or feeling is, is not there.

And I suppose any woman could say pretty much the same about men.
For some odd reason, the thought that I feel dishonored whenever I’m in the friend zone seems to be persistent. :eek:
Because you need to get over yourself a little. Honour is found in how you act first of all, not how well others treat you. And if you want special respect (let alone to be honoured), you need to go out and earn it, rather than expecting to get it from people who have no particular reason to value you so exceptionally high. There is nothing insulting about a woman not being interested in you (in fact, she may have a lot of respect for you but simply not be interested in you as a relationship partner), only if she acts disrespectfully towards you, like failing to show basic courtesy (in which case you should be happy she isn’t interested in you anyway).
 
Yes, I have friend-zoned a few men, but not always for the same reason. It could be lack of attraction, lack of shared values, not the right time, he was too eager, etc.
Well, your reply would seem to confirm what I’ve just said, including that it’s pretty similar for both men and women.

One thing I don’t get, though, is the “not right time”. I’ve stumbled into it more than once but can’t figure it out for anything in the world. I guess, to me, it sounds like something irrelevant, as in it’s the two people that matter, they are either good matches for each other or not, the timing can make things easy or difficult to process but it has little to do with the merits.

I find it very hard to believe that if, let’s say, person A chose the wrong timing to approach person B, they would be happy together forever but just because the timing was wrong, they will not be together, ever (with the implication that the fact things transpired at the wrong time has killed the prospect for the future, not just failed to work in the present).

Would you care to shed some light on this? I’m not asking for relationship advice, in fact, I’ m simply interested in a sort of academic way because I’ve spent so much time wondering about such subjects in the past. Now I don’t care so much on a personal level but the interest and curiosity remains. It’s kinda hard to let go of the intellectual interest in something that mattered to you for a long time before (as evidenced by the wall of text I’ve just produced).
Consider yourself lucky that you were able to avoid girls that are into Justin Bieber and Edward Cullen. You would not have been the least bit happy. Pursue women who act like adults instead.
Yeah. For the record, a current crush on an actor (or anybody) always makes a woman off-limits to me.
While I know that not all Catholics always follow the Church’s teachings 100% of the time, certainly those who would remain chaste would never know about such intimate details, no? (I assume the OP eschews fornication since he’s asking for advice about women on a Catholic forum.) Thus, this should never even be a thought to any, especially the woman.
I tend to find an opportunity to convey opposition to fornication or contraception without being creepy (e.g. “for the record, I am opposed to it in principle” when discussing a related subject or situation) and observe the reaction. Usually it’ll be verbal enough and clear enough anyway, especially if there is disagreement. I’m not interested in intimate details anyway, it’s about finding someone who’s on the same page with you.
 
  1. Have you ever friend-zoned a guy;
Yes, more then once.
) If or if not, can anyone explain why we guys get stuck in the friend zone and why don’t more women consider us as perfect life partners (given that we’re already great friends)?
Some girls just don’t feel like they’ve found relationship material in boys they date…but the guys are really nice and they still want to hang out.
 
Because you need to get over yourself a little. Honour is found in how you act first of all, not how well others treat you. And if you want special respect (let alone to be honoured), you need to go out and earn it, rather than expecting to get it from people who have no particular reason to value you so exceptionally high. There is nothing insulting about a woman not being interested in you (in fact, she may have a lot of respect for you but simply not be interested in you as a relationship partner), only if she acts disrespectfully towards you, like failing to show basic courtesy (in which case you should be happy she isn’t interested in you anyway).
The main reason why that feeling returns is because I feel that since I always get friend-zoned, I am not good enough. o:
 
The main reason why that feeling returns is because I feel that since I always get friend-zoned, I am not good enough. o:
I see. Well, I understand. I’ve been there, done that. More times than I care to count. Well, sooner or later the moment comes when you stop caring about that. You can’t really find validation, as in feeling good enough, in your luck with women, you rather need to find a sense of purpose, some meaningful work, study, devote yourself to relationships with your family, get a hobby you’re good at, or some competitive sport. Men generally feel this need to compete, win contests or gain achievements. Rather go that route than count on girls to give it to you. And the more energy you burn, the less likely you’ll be to spend time thinking about that, you’ll have better chemical balance (improving your mental/psychic stamina as well) and all.
Some girls just don’t feel like they’ve found relationship material in boys they date…but the guys are really nice and they still want to hang out.
What would you say is the most frequent reason why that happens?
 
I see. Well, I understand. I’ve been there, done that. More times than I care to count. Well, sooner or later the moment comes when you stop caring about that. You can’t really find validation, as in feeling good enough, in your luck with women, you rather need to find a sense of purpose, some meaningful work, study, devote yourself to relationships with your family, get a hobby you’re good at, or some competitive sport. Men generally feel this need to compete, win contests or gain achievements. Rather go that route than count on girls to give it to you. And the more energy you burn, the less likely you’ll be to spend time thinking about that, you’ll have better chemical balance (improving your mental/psychic stamina as well) and all.
Checklist:
A sense of purpose - check
Study - check
Work - none
Get a hobby you’re good at - does being a gamer, an artist and a cosplayer count?
 
When I was single, I would friend-zone some guys because they were likable people but I knew that we had major differences in philosophy that discouraged me from courtship.
a) they weren’t Catholic
b) they didn’t have the same expectations of chastity.
 
cropped for length
I was mid way typing through a long response with links to five different studies showing differences in the way genders approach cross-sex friendship, and then I realized that I really don’t feel like arguing the point.

What is it? three? Four? different females who have come on and validated what I said, while it’s the guys who are saying the bit about “nuh uh, it’s the girls who are dishonoring me and friendzoning me inexplicably!” 🤷

Besides, it’s relationship advice, everyone approaches it differently. If what you’ve been doing works for you, go for it.

All I’m pointing out is that expecting a woman to “reevaluate a guy” she’s legitimately not attracted to because that guy does nice things for her is not a decent thing to do (and, side note: claiming someone is exaggerating simply because they use a strong vocabulary to elaborate a point is a logical fallacy).

I think I’ve said my part, I’m not going to change your mind, so I’ll leave off. If the OP wants my advice, he’s certainly free to ask for it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top