I have been with my husband for 6 years, and married to him for 2. He is a fantastic person, and we have a very good marriage.
Recently however, Iāve been having a difficult time getting him to engage in conversations with me. I mean sure, we mention how our day was and what we saw on TV or what is going on in the news and how much we dislike Obama⦠but I feel like we havenāt had strong, in depth, intimate communication in a while⦠the type that makes you feel close and connected to your spouse afterwards.
I try to talk to him and provoke conversation by asking him questions but he usually just responds with one word answers or with āI donāt knowā⦠and when I say something to him like ātalk to meā he just says āI donāt have anything to say.ā
This started happening more and more while I was trying to just have a good conversations with him, but now itās gotten to the point where itās infiltrated into our little fights/arguments.
When we get into one of our little spats, it usually ends in me getting very grumpy and instead of him trying to talk it out with me, he just shuts down. I mean he completely just shuts down. He turns around, walks away, sits at his computer desk and starts doing whatever he does. And when I tell him how I feel and try to get him to talk to me, he just sits in silence and says āI donāt have anything else to say⦠I donāt know what to say.ā
I know it sounds extremely petty, and considering this is the worst of our marital āproblems,ā I probably shouldnāt even be complaining. But Iāve just began feeling a sense of intimate ādisconnectā with him recently because of it. And I worry that this is going to end up hindering the strong, intimate, emotional connection that spouses are supposed to have with each other.
Ladies⦠is this normal? Is it just a normal āguyā thing that is just now coming out since weāve been together so long?
Guys⦠are you able to shed some light here from a manās perspective??