A really really few good women! Indeed.
OP, it isn’t comforting at all, but take note that I, and probably thousands of other young Catholics are in the exact same situation. My story:
I live in a small university town, known for its overwhelmingly liberal sexual campus culture. Had I expected it to be this bad I probably would never have come here. Anyway. It’s a small university, less than 4000 students, and probably less than 50 practising Catholics amongst the people my own age. I have posted before exactly what goes on here - and as you can imagine on a university campus, especially a liberal one - it is pretty much the pits when it comes to sexual immorality, etc. So, here I am. Like you (and not to brag either) I am a great looking, intelligent, scapular-wearing-daily-mass-going Catholic guy and you know what? I’m pretty lonely too! I have friends sure; but not good ones, because I just can’t relate to their choices, and vice versa.
Anyway, I have stopped trying to find someone. It just isn’t going to happen. Not here, not now at least. Last year I fell away from the Church, I dated a secular girl, I did things with her, “fell in love” etc and it all came crumbling down and it broke my heart. I learnt a few things from that:
- Don’t date a secular person. They will most likely not share your values, morals, ethics, and views on life in general (nevermind the actual religious side of things like going to Mass, etc). This was the biggest problem I had. I couldn’t reconcile it all in my head. How my ‘girlfriend’ was going to Hooters with other guys and dancing on tables, how my ‘girlfriend’ thought it was funny that her best friend slept with 2 guys in one night, how my ‘girlfriend’ thought abortion was the prefered choice because having a baby under the age of 30 “is for whores” (so many things wrong with that statement, but anyway). And once I started going to Mass again, thats when we broke up - it happened because I went to confession and she mocked me for it. Break up time!
- Whoever you do end up dating… I hope you have majorly discerned beforehand. I can’t expand on that enough. I don’t have the words. But its just so important. It speaks for itself.
- You can’t push anything or anyone - especially not God. I learnt the hard way. I know now… If I’m praying, doing my studies, living a moral life, being the ‘salt’ of the Earth, etc, that God will take care of me in his own time. And his own time in his own way is for the best. IT really really really is. Just need to trust Him, and trust less in our own sense of what we want and need etc, and I am positive all things will work out.
Anyway, yeah, it sucks. There ain’t nuttin to it, but to do it! And by that I mean - just stick it out and wait, because when the right guy does come along and you fall in love and whatever (if it is in God’s will) you’re gonna be SO glad you waited, SO glad that God brought this man to you, and the wait would have been very very worth it I am certain of that!