S
sealabeag
Guest
My second question in this forum in a row!
So, I know that procuring or helping another to procure an abortion carries an automatic excommunication. However, I’m wondering how does knowledge of the sin affect this, if at all?
We know that for a sin to be mortal it must have full knowledge, consent and grave matter. What if someone procures an abortion but believes it to be ok, for whatever reason - poor catechesis etc.? Does it still carry an excommunication?
And secondly, if knowledge of the sin doesn’t matter, and it carries an excommunication regardless, does that mean that abortifacient birth control also carries an excommunication? I guess the problem there is that the abortion could take place at such an early stage in pregnancy that one wouldn’t even know it had occured, so that would seem a grey area, but I’m curious nonetheless.
Thanks.
So, I know that procuring or helping another to procure an abortion carries an automatic excommunication. However, I’m wondering how does knowledge of the sin affect this, if at all?
We know that for a sin to be mortal it must have full knowledge, consent and grave matter. What if someone procures an abortion but believes it to be ok, for whatever reason - poor catechesis etc.? Does it still carry an excommunication?
And secondly, if knowledge of the sin doesn’t matter, and it carries an excommunication regardless, does that mean that abortifacient birth control also carries an excommunication? I guess the problem there is that the abortion could take place at such an early stage in pregnancy that one wouldn’t even know it had occured, so that would seem a grey area, but I’m curious nonetheless.
Thanks.