Advice, Anyone?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Justanothercatholic
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Justanothercatholic

Guest
I made a big time mistake, two really, and I’m having trouble recovering. You see, there is a particular sin I’ve struggled with for quite a few years now that I’ve confessed before. I committed it yet again, and then I went and dug myself into an even deeper hole. I attended a confirmation preparation class, and there was mass afterwards. I was in a state of mortal sin at the time, and I still am. I was embarrassed about it and didn’t want to be the only one not recieving Communion, so I took Communion. I realize what a grave sin this is and I couldn’t be sorrier for it. I know I need to go to confession, but another dilemma there is posed. Both my parents are no longer Catholics, my grandmother takes me to church on the rare occasion they allow it. And I have violin lessons they would not want me to miss on Saturdays when confessions are held. The next time I don’t have that activity is over Thanksgiving break. I don’t want to be in a state of mortal sin that long. I’ve broken my right relationship with God and I want to repair it. And I want to recieve communion at mass and strengthen my relationship with the Lord. Any advice, anyone? I could really use it.
 
Can you go to confession without attending mass right after? Then you’d at least be absolved of the sins, and still be able to make the violin lessons. Though if not, I’d ditch the lessons and get to confession and deal with the consequences if it’s an issue of mortal sin.
 
I made a big time mistake, two really, and I’m having trouble recovering. You see, there is a particular sin I’ve struggled with for quite a few years now that I’ve confessed before. I committed it yet again, and then I went and dug myself into an even deeper hole. I attended a confirmation preparation class, and there was mass afterwards. I was in a state of mortal sin at the time, and I still am. I was embarrassed about it and didn’t want to be the only one not recieving Communion, so I took Communion. I realize what a grave sin this is and I couldn’t be sorrier for it. I know I need to go to confession, but another dilemma there is posed. Both my parents are no longer Catholics, my grandmother takes me to church on the rare occasion they allow it. And I have violin lessons they would not want me to miss on Saturdays when confessions are held. The next time I don’t have that activity is over Thanksgiving break. I don’t want to be in a state of mortal sin that long. I’ve broken my right relationship with God and I want to repair it. And I want to recieve communion at mass and strengthen my relationship with the Lord. Any advice, anyone? I could really use it.
First, if you can, make an act of perfect contrition and that will suffice until you receive absolution. However do not receive Holy Communion until you receive absolution.
 
Speak to your priest, a priest, at any parish…please…he is there for just this sort of quandary and question…please before seeking the advice of innerweb strangers go speak with your priest, he is there to help you and guide you and give you correct answers…
Do NOT feel ashamed to do this…that is what satan wants…your priest has heard it all and nothing surprises them…they deal with your exact situation regularly.

M
 
Go to confession confess your sins then you can recieve. It really is that simple.
 
Most priests will also hear Confessions by appointment, so you could call your parish and ask if your pastor would be available to hear your confession at a time (ASAP) that would work for you.

And if you ever find yourself in the situation of being at Mass in a state of mortal sin again, don’t be embarrassed to just stay in your pew at Communion. I do this when necessary, and trust me, most people don’t even pay attention. Or if you want, you can go up and cross your arms over your chest to get a blessing instead. My husband prefers to do this if he can’t receive.
 
Speak to your priest, a priest, at any parish…please…he is there for just this sort of quandary and question…please before seeking the advice of innerweb strangers go speak with your priest, he is there to help you and guide you and give you correct answers…
Do NOT feel ashamed to do this…that is what satan wants…your priest has heard it all and nothing surprises them…they deal with your exact situation regularly.

M
This is very sound advice. My uncle is an old Priest and people will regularly knock on his door asking for an opportunity for confession at any time of day or night. You will get the best counsel from a Priest.
 
Sin. Confession. Communion. The correct way to address a problem. However, you need the fortitude to persevere in virtue and righteousness and to resist sin - and that is a gift of the Holy Spirit. Do you even pray to the Holy Spirit? Offer the prayer to the Holy Spirit? A very good place to begin. According to Bishop Robert Barron,the only prayer that is always answered is “Come, Holy Spirit.” He comes only by invitation, but you must make a place in your heart for Him to dwell.
Come, O Holy Spirit, fill the heart of thy faithful and enkindle in them the fire of thy love. Send forth your spirit and they shall be created, and Thou shalt renew the face of the earth.

Let us pray.

Oh God, Who didst enlighten the hearts of the faithful by the light of Your Holy Spirit, grant that in the same Spirit, we may discern what is right and ever rejoice in His consolation. We ask this through Christ, our Lord.

Amen.
Next: Adoration of Jesus Christ in the Blessed sacrament. Powerful! A channel of God’s grace. Miracles happen there - including the grace to resist sin.

What are you waiting for?

Just do it.
 
Most priests will also hear Confessions by appointment, so you could call your parish and ask if your pastor would be available to hear your confession at a time (ASAP) that would work for you.
The old “grab a priest” option - an often overlooked means of getting your confession heard! Priests have an obligation to hear your confession at any reasonable time (so not 1 minute before mass or 1 minute to midnight - unless of course you happen to be dying).

I enjoy pointing this out to people when I’m visiting other parishes! 😁
 
You could try and find another church that does confessions at another time, for example during the week? Hope that helps! And just a comforting thought; although of course you need to repent your sins, God knows that you’re trying and He is pleased
 
The old “grab a priest” option - an often overlooked means of getting your confession heard! Priests have an obligation to hear your confession at any reasonable time (so not 1 minute before mass or 1 minute to midnight - unless of course you happen to be dying).
Yes it is an option but you can’t be annoymous and it takes some courage.
 
The old “grab a priest” option - an often overlooked means of getting your confession heard! Priests have an obligation to hear your confession at any reasonable time (so not 1 minute before mass or 1 minute to midnight - unless of course you happen to be dying).
I’ve done this on MANY occasions, and I can for sure say it’s not really that embarrassing.

If you still haven’t made it to Confession, then send an email to the priest and ask him to meet you for Confession outside of scheduled hours. I also had to contact a priest outside of scheduled hours in order to make it to Confession.

However, I’d encourage you to either stay in the pew during Communion or walk up and hold your hand at place of your heart - which basically signifies that you’re asking to receive a blessing from your priest instead of Communion. Some priest doesn’t like this and seem confused, but most priest knows what you’d be asking for.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top