M
MikiBee
Guest
My 14 year old daughter is in confirmation class, and a couple of weeks ago she told me she wasn’t ready to make her confirmation this year. I told her that was okay-- she will continue on with her confirmation class this year, and go through it again next year. All seemed fine.
Last night she came and told me she doesn’t want to get ashes tonight or to receive communion anymore… I asked her what was wrong… and she said she just isn’t sure she believes God exists, and would rather not receive communion in that state. She said she’d still go to church and to RE though, so she could learn. I was shocked. I have raised all of my girls in the church, and God is a really big part of our lives. I didn’t know how to respond. I asked her why she felt that way, and she said she didn’t know. I told her that I would answer any question for her. But I also told her she has to get the ashes tonight and I told her she has to receive communion-- that maybe God would give her the grace she needs to believe through the communion.
Am I doing the right thing? I feel bad forcing communion on her. It feels sinful to me. If she doesn’t believe what she is doing is real, is it a sin to take communion? I don’t want to lead her down the wrong path. Any advice and prayers for her would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Michelle
Last night she came and told me she doesn’t want to get ashes tonight or to receive communion anymore… I asked her what was wrong… and she said she just isn’t sure she believes God exists, and would rather not receive communion in that state. She said she’d still go to church and to RE though, so she could learn. I was shocked. I have raised all of my girls in the church, and God is a really big part of our lives. I didn’t know how to respond. I asked her why she felt that way, and she said she didn’t know. I told her that I would answer any question for her. But I also told her she has to get the ashes tonight and I told her she has to receive communion-- that maybe God would give her the grace she needs to believe through the communion.
Am I doing the right thing? I feel bad forcing communion on her. It feels sinful to me. If she doesn’t believe what she is doing is real, is it a sin to take communion? I don’t want to lead her down the wrong path. Any advice and prayers for her would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Michelle