Against the tide of Visual Media

  • Thread starter Thread starter Linusthe2nd
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Linusthe2nd

Guest
One can certainly live without Visual Media, one can even live without Audio Media.

150 years ago everyone lived without either and got along fine as far as we know.

I am convinced that we need to get back to that more simple and basic life style if the world is to find any sanity and return to its moral roots.

I have given up T.V. and movies. I do have a few DVD’s around but haven’t watched any for about a year - about the same length of time I have been without T.V. Of course I have been using my computer more, mostly New Advent.org, EWTN, and Catholic Answers.

Catholic Answers Radio has a large archive of recorded programs, so does EWTN but I find the format of the Catholic Answerw archives much more interesting. The programs can be listened to while you are doing something else - cleaning house, etc.

The rest of my free time is spent reading - Thomas Aquinas right now.

Essentially I am a hermit, so EWTN and Catholic Answers provide company I don’t have and am not likely to have.

So if a hermit like me can stay off the tube and other distasteful media anyone can.

👍👍
 
I think it depends. Certainly, many of us could stand to scale back on media consumption. But unless we address the root problems, we will likely just replace one form of time-wasting entertainment with another.

The important thing is to make an intentional effort to place God at the center of our lives and to pray regularly. If we don’t do that, it doesn’t matter how much TV we are or are not watching. We’ll simply substitute one idol with another.
 
One can certainly live without Visual Media, one can even live without Audio Media.

150 years ago everyone lived without either and got along fine as far as we know.

I am convinced that we need to get back to that more simple and basic life style if the world is to find any sanity and return to its moral roots.

I have given up T.V. and movies. I do have a few DVD’s around but haven’t watched any for about a year - about the same length of time I have been without T.V. Of course I have been using my computer more, mostly New Advent.org, EWTN, and Catholic Answers.

Catholic Answers Radio has a large archive of recorded programs, so does EWTN but I find the format of the Catholic Answerw archives much more interesting. The programs can be listened to while you are doing something else - cleaning house, etc.

The rest of my free time is spent reading - Thomas Aquinas right now.

Essentially I am a hermit, so EWTN and Catholic Answers provide company I don’t have and am not likely to have.

So if a hermit like me can stay off the tube and other distasteful media anyone can.

👍👍
Isn’t the internet a part of the media? :confused:

To each his own.

Why would anyone not partake of anything “good” that life has to offer?

As my father used to say: “everything in moderation”
 
I don’t think it’s necessary to cut it out completely. I think what we REALLY need to learn is moderation.

I watch at most two-three hours of TV a week. The rest of my time is spent working, educating myself and doing other things that require more brain power then a video game or passive movie.

I don’t think that two-three hours of TV dulls my sense of morality or wastes my time. 🤷
 
One can certainly live without Visual Media, one can even live without Audio Media.

150 years ago everyone lived without either and got along fine as far as we know.

I am convinced that we need to get back to that more simple and basic life style if the world is to find any sanity and return to its moral roots.

I have given up T.V. and movies. I do have a few DVD’s around but haven’t watched any for about a year - about the same length of time I have been without T.V. Of course I have been using my computer more, mostly New Advent.org, EWTN, and Catholic Answers.

Catholic Answers Radio has a large archive of recorded programs, so does EWTN but I find the format of the Catholic Answerw archives much more interesting. The programs can be listened to while you are doing something else - cleaning house, etc.

The rest of my free time is spent reading - Thomas Aquinas right now.

Essentially I am a hermit, so EWTN and Catholic Answers provide company I don’t have and am not likely to have.

So if a hermit like me can stay off the tube and other distasteful media anyone can.

👍👍
I totally agree with you 🙂 There is not a lot of quality programming out there. I also watch some EWTN, Catholic Answers and www.piusmedia.com. I also unplug from the cell phone as much as possible and the movies. There are not a lot of “good” movies out there and most of the Hollywood Studios support decadent lifestyles and planned parenthood. Once in a while, i rent some classic movies from the library. We are a homeschool family that enjoys learning our faith, reading, board games, crafts (all types), travel and history and that makes it a lot easier to get back to the basics 🙂

👍
 
doing other things that require more brain power then a video game or passive movie.
I believe that you are making a gross generalization here. Many video games improve critical thinking abilities and strategic planning skills. Additionally, there is a lot of stress relief to be gained from them. My wife and I play video games together and it servers as a bonding activity.

There are many video games that are mindless, but there are also many that make you think, and make you really work for a win.
 
I believe that you are making a gross generalization here. Many video games improve critical thinking abilities and strategic planning skills. Additionally, there is a lot of stress relief to be gained from them. My wife and I play video games together and it servers as a bonding activity.

There are many video games that are mindless, but there are also many that make you think, and make you really work for a win.
🙂 Don’t get me wrong. I watch movies AND play video games and I just think they lack the creative energy that other activities require. That’s just my personal opinion.

PS: I only turn to video games or movies when I’m so tired I can do little else. 🤷 That’s just me. Perhaps I’m just not good at sitting still. 😛
 
🙂 Don’t get me wrong. I watch movies AND play video games and I just think they lack the creative energy that other activities require. That’s just my personal opinion.

PS: I only turn to video games or movies when I’m so tired I can do little else. 🤷 That’s just me. Perhaps I’m just not good at sitting still. 😛
Lol, I’m the other way around, video games are what I do -unless- i’m too tired to play them XD

I also try to make them, or build worlds in them (especially Skyrim), so it’s sort of a creative outlet for me.
 
Lol, I’m the other way around, video games are what I do -unless- i’m too tired to play them XD

I also try to make them, or build worlds in them (especially Skyrim), so it’s sort of a creative outlet for me.
Well, now… Skyrim is a thing of evil. ROFL. I made the mistake of turning it on and wasted an entire day immersing myself in that world. I was stuck in that world for a week (would play every day after work and every morning before work). Haha. I JUST weaned myself off.

👍
 
Well, now… Skyrim is a thing of evil. ROFL. I made the mistake of turning it on and wasted an entire day immersing myself in that world. I was stuck in that world for a week (would play every day after work and every morning before work). Haha. I JUST weaned myself off.

👍
o.O Why? There’s nothing wrong with gaining enjoyment from a game. It’s not perverse, and it’s not preventing you from honoring God. Why did you feel the need to stop playing it?

Why would you call it a waste if it’s not detrimental to your soul and you enjoyed it? Even Jesus needed time to relax:p
 
One can certainly live without Visual Media, one can even live without Audio Media.

150 years ago everyone lived without either and got along fine as far as we know.

I am convinced that we need to get back to that more simple and basic life style if the world is to find any sanity and return to its moral roots.

I have given up T.V. and movies. I do have a few DVD’s around but haven’t watched any for about a year - about the same length of time I have been without T.V. Of course I have been using my computer more, mostly New Advent.org, EWTN, and Catholic Answers.

Catholic Answers Radio has a large archive of recorded programs, so does EWTN but I find the format of the Catholic Answerw archives much more interesting. The programs can be listened to while you are doing something else - cleaning house, etc.

The rest of my free time is spent reading - Thomas Aquinas right now.

Essentially I am a hermit, so EWTN and Catholic Answers provide company I don’t have and am not likely to have.

So if a hermit like me can stay off the tube and other distasteful media anyone can.

👍👍
If one can do the above then good on 'em, but technology isn’t the problem - it’s what people choose to do with it.

I’m actually reading Isaiah this year in my Bible study, and one thing that has been made clear so far is that God does not rebuke men for having objects, but He does rebuke men for using objects for sin.

That being said, as long as movies, games, and other media don’t get in the way of your faith, you’re pretty-much good to go.
 
I get the majority of my news from the internet but even that’s not too much there’s not much out there I want to read. I mainly listen just to the sports and weather on the tv news. I’ve been so tired of the liberal and conservative media bias on both sides I can’t really listen or pay attention to any of them for to long.
 
o.O Why? There’s nothing wrong with gaining enjoyment from a game. It’s not perverse, and it’s not preventing you from honoring God. Why did you feel the need to stop playing it?

Why would you call it a waste if it’s not detrimental to your soul and you enjoyed it? Even Jesus needed time to relax:p
I know this is off topic but there is only a limited amount of time in a day! Do I want to spend it playing a game or educating myself? Personally I think games have their place but when they consume us and waste hours and hours of our time that they’re bordering on wasting time.

That said, the ‘Skyrim’ is evil thing was a joke. I don’t ACTUALLY think it’s evil… it’s just a horribly addictive, amazing game! LOL! And for me I only let myself play it on weekend evenings now, so I don’t waste my time doing that when I could be learning or growing as a person. 🙂
 
I haven’t made-up my mind about this, but I agree it’s an important question that needs to be raised, never easily dismissed. A lot of the writers linked-to on New Advent are jumping very enthusiastically and optimistically into the New Media blitz for the upcoming Year of Faith, and for now I’m on-board, but not without my own lingering doubts and reservations. On the other hand, if the “Luddite-leaning Catholics” win the day, it will probably have to go along with a heavy criticism of widespread usury and corporatism, and perhaps even capitalism itself. We would have to be fully prepared to become an outspoken counter-cultural force – way more so than we have been for centuries. I don’t think we can effectively shun the Visual Media Age without promoting what makes the simplicity you speak of possible, viz. an entirely different economic system and daily life.

EDIT: By the way, this video is somewhat indirectly relevant to my point and this thread. I think.
 
I just put the topic out there for discussion because I found that I have fewer " distractions " and fewer temptations ( custody of the eyes is much easier without the visual saturation of the media). Politics is off my radar now so my aggrevation level is down too.

Today as I was giving the house a good cleaning I was able to listen to four hours of discussion on philosophy on Catholic Answers archive Radio.

Not trying to " convert " anyone. 👍
 
I just put the topic out there for discussion because I found that I have fewer " distractions " and fewer temptations ( custody of the eyes is much easier without the visual saturation of the media). Politics is off my radar now so my aggrevation level is down too.

Today as I was giving the house a good cleaning I was able to listen to four hours of discussion on philosophy on Catholic Answers archive Radio.

Not trying to " convert " anyone. 👍
Oh, yeah, it’s definitely a topic capable of garnering a lot of productive discussion among folks coming from various stations in life, who have many different takes on what might best provide for the cultivation of virtue. And you’re undeniably right about the benefits of simplifying one’s daily habits and preferences. I was perhaps mostly just trying to affirm the legitimacy of such a thought-provoking thread amid some anticipated objections – as the direction of the main idea here could indeed be considered to cause tensions in readers, given that its medium is an online forum, and especially considering the presumable likelihood that, within the sights of many, there is at least one TV on at this very moment while they try to entertain the very subject at hand!

I would just go so far as to even say that, beyond being worthy of interesting conversation and offering helpful advice re: “the simple life”, as it certainly does, this may be a question that Catholics actually need to address and settle in the immediate future – ideally, before we commence the Year of Faith on October 11; and with a substantial degree of uniformity, lest we end up having two factions in the Church both going their own separate ways (thus lending greater potential for a future hostility, similar to the growing “conservative vs. liberal” split). But that’s just me; and if you’d rather your thread not travel down that probably-divisive road, then, by all means, don’t let my affinity to argument invade the peace you’ve impressively managed to achieve for yourself in this crazy, mixed-up world!

[Anyway, my primary dispute would only be that, arguably, a significant amount of *luxury or financial security is required for the simple life to ever be legitimately feasible for the common man, that maybe a majority of families fail to practice this desirable simplicity due to impracticability (e.g., coping with a hyper-stressful job environment when such work is all that’s available to them), not a choice against it. Of course, Pascal would disagree with the foregoing assessment in light of his notion that human nature prefers distraction per se as a result its fallenness, so…]
 
Oh, yeah, it’s definitely a topic capable of garnering a lot of productive discussion among folks coming from various stations in life, who have many different takes on what might best provide for the cultivation of virtue. And you’re undeniably right about the benefits of simplifying one’s daily habits and preferences. I was perhaps mostly just trying to affirm the legitimacy of such a thought-provoking thread amid some anticipated objections – as the direction of the main idea here could indeed be considered to cause tensions in readers, given that its medium is an online forum, and especially considering the presumable likelihood that, within the sights of many, there is at least one TV on at this very moment while they try to entertain the very subject at hand!

I would just go so far as to even say that, beyond being worthy of interesting conversation and offering helpful advice re: “the simple life”, as it certainly does, this may be a question that Catholics actually need to address and settle in the immediate future – ideally, before we commence the Year of Faith on October 11; and with a substantial degree of uniformity, lest we end up having two factions in the Church both going their own separate ways (thus lending greater potential for a future hostility, similar to the growing “conservative vs. liberal” split). But that’s just me; and if you’d rather your thread not travel down that probably-divisive road, then, by all means, don’t let my affinity to argument invade the peace you’ve impressively managed to achieve for yourself in this crazy, mixed-up world!

[Anyway, my primary dispute would only be that, arguably, a significant amount of *luxury
or financial security is required for the simple life to ever be legitimately feasible for the common man, that maybe a majority of families fail to practice this desirable simplicity due to impracticability (e.g., coping with a hyper-stressful job environment when such work is all that’s available to them), not a choice against it. Of course, Pascal would disagree with the foregoing assessment in light of his notion that human nature prefers distraction per se as a result its fallenness, so…]

Well, if the economy really goes South, an awful lot of folks will suddenly find themselves living the simple life whether or not they want to. In fact, a lot of folks are already facing that challenge - not that they wanted to. 🤷
 
Unless the causes of the problems are acknowledged, there will be no end to those problems.

When it comes to video games, it is very important to pick which games are highly stimulating (like Rush On Seven Episodes online) from ones that aren’t (like Dinner Dash).
 
Unless the causes of the problems are acknowledged, there will be no end to those problems.

When it comes to video games, it is very important to pick which games are highly stimulating (like Rush On Seven Episodes online) from ones that aren’t (like Dinner Dash).
Dinner Dash is a game that relies on stimulation. In fact, that’s what all entertainment relies on.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top